What's new

What's the purpose of an aftershave splash?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It has two purposes:

To burn the crap out of your face with alcohol as penance for any sins you committed yesterday.

To provide some semi-acceptable aroma for guys who are too cheap to purchase decent cologne. :ohmy:

I prefer using splashes. But I always use Pond's Dry Skin Cream after putting on any type of aftershave anyway. It's a really good face lotion.

You know, it's funny- my little brother asked me this exact question after his first straight-edge shave last night (previously he had been using Mach 5's without lubrication, and no aftershave treatment at all. The horror...). I gave him a little of my Musgo Real Classic to try; the effect was priceless. Have you seen Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone? Exact same face. But, I digress... The purpose of alcohol-based splashes is mostly for antiseptic and scent purposes; witch hazel or alum are much better astringents, IMHO. That being said, I tend to lean towards complex splashes that have other skin-loving ingredients in addition to the ETOH burn- Aloe, witch hazel, maybe a bit of Echinacea, glycerin, or alum. Any of the Musgo Real line fall into this category, as does the Whisker Whiskey from The Holy Black. A good line of alcohol-free splashes can be had from Cirmes Tonsorial Parlor, and his collaboration with Madame Scodioli is excellent as well (same basic formula, different scents). I always use an alcohol-based splash myself, followed with a moisturizing gel in the colder months. If you have problems with dry skin, I might steer you away from alcohol-based A/S's. They can have a tendency to dry out your skin.

I think it's more like critiquing a moped for offering little protection in the event of a crash. Whether or not a moped should be expected to be protective is beside the point. The fact is, you don't want to be on one when the cars around you start losing control, and it's not unfair to mopeds (or their manufacturers) to point that out. Likewise, those who advocate against alcohol-based aftershaves due to their drying potential are simply making an (allegedly) fact-based assertion: they are potentially drying, and those who value healthy skin might consider that when making a decision on what kind of product they want to use after shaving.

But that is my point. Of course it's not unfair to point out that mopeds offer little protection, but it's so obvious, is it really necessary to point it out? Furthermore, since it is so obvious, why buy a moped knowing that, then complain about it? If you wanted safety, you shouldn't have bought a moped in the first place. If you want moisturizing, don't buy an alcohol-based splash, buy a balm.

...Then again, in this day and age I think it would be VERY rare to find a case of infection caused by shaving...

You're thinking "infection" in terms of something you need antibiotics for. But those red bumps after you shave? Infection. Ingrown hairs? Infection. Even the irritation you get after a shave is the direct result of your body fighting off bacteria that have infected the imperceptible lesions you got from shaving.

Alcohol (or other antiseptic) is still an extremely important function of aftershave. Easily the most important. You probably don't have to worry about gangrene, but it's very important to have some antiseptic properties in any kind of aftershave, whether it be balm or splash. And they all have it.

You're thinking "infection" in terms of something you need antibiotics for. But those red bumps after you shave? Infection. Ingrown hairs? Infection. Even the irritation you get after a shave is the direct result of your body fighting off bacteria that have infected the imperceptible lesions you got from shaving.

Alcohol (or other antiseptic) is still an extremely important function of aftershave. Easily the most important. You probably don't have to worry about gangrene, but it's very important to have some antiseptic properties in any kind of aftershave, whether it be balm or splash. And they all have it.

There is truth in this. Being a paramedic, I have treated a patient with severe folliculitis/cellulitis, which I suspect was shaving-related (How he managed to keep shaving over the painful, sloughing skin, I will never know). There are other antiseptic compounds besides alcohol though- alum is excellent, and some moisturizing balms have benzoyl peroxide in them.

I avoid alcohol based aftershaves due to the stinging feeling.

I use my Thayer's alcohol free (cucumber) as it feels moisturizing (aloe vera, presumably) and I like to think/hope that the witch hazel is keeping my facial skin healthier and happier. I also like the "natural" ingredients. I may have to try the lemon one someday.

I also have Lucky Tiger, which for me is all about the scent. And the cool bottle. :001_rolle

There is truth in this. Being a paramedic, I have treated a patient with severe folliculitis/cellulitis, which I suspect was shaving-related (How he managed to keep shaving over the painful, sloughing skin, I will never know). There are other antiseptic compounds besides alcohol though- alum is excellent, and some moisturizing balms have benzoyl peroxide in them.

Even in that, though, you're citing extreme examples. Just the regular red bumps on your face after a normal shave are inflammation related to your body repelling invading bacteria.

And I like that you pointed out that antiseptic isn't always alcohol. Witch Hazel, (which is 14% alcohol) Bezoyl Peroxide, Alum. All have antiseptic qualities that protect the lesions you just made in your face when you shaved.

If you purchase an "all natural" aftershave with absolutely no ingredients for killing the bacteria on your skin, you're basically buying scented water and/or moisturizer. The antiseptic is what makes it aftershave.

Important not to confuse inflammation with infection. An ingrown isn't always infection. Nor is redness bumps etc. Can they become infected? Yes of course. But the what many are referring to after shaving is inflammation ie the inflammatory response. Yes you will see cells of the inflammatory system in bacterial infection and redness etc.

Important not to confuse inflammation with infection. An ingrown isn't always infection. Nor is redness bumps etc. Can they become infected? Yes of course. But the what many are referring to after shaving is inflammation ie the inflammatory response. Yes you will see cells of the inflammatory system in bacterial infection and redness etc.

Absolutely yes. Let me say also that I'm not a doctor. In general, nobody should listen to me. :lol:

Furthermore, since it is so obvious, why buy a moped knowing that, then complain about it? If you wanted safety, you shouldn't have bought a moped in the first place. If you want moisturizing, don't buy an alcohol-based splash, buy a balm.

I'm referring to the general recommendations skin care mavens make to avoid using alcohol on the face. That's different from people who have bought alcohol splashes and are then complaining about them. For an example, Perry Gastis of The Gentlemens Refinery has this to say about alcohol afterhsaves:

"Alcohol on the face is very drying and can cause many adverse affects. To name just a few, ingrown hairs, pain, and premature aging...nothing good at all comes from alcohol splashes for the face! I would suggest an alcohol free after shave balm that is PH balanced and designed to close pours while healing. I developed and produce this type of after shave balm to stop the insanity of the alcohol splash! Please stop!"

He offered that recommendation in direct response to a barber to who e-mailed Gastis asking whether alcohol is a good thing to apply to his clients' faces after shaving them. So, perhaps the (alleged) perils of alcohol splashes aren't as obvious as you might think.

(Source: See Q81/A81 here.)

In the end the only people whose opinions I would trust are dermatologists. Not a vendor/company etc. To my knowledge, there have been no clinical studies on the use of aftershaves and aging, in-growns,etc so that to me is just nonsense. I doubt we will ever see one either. There has to be something said about the length of time guys have used AS with no problems. What is it decades of more or less daily use. To me the bottom line is that alcohols will disinfect and desiccate the outer skin layers and make you smell nice (hopefully).

Kills germs, tightens pores, smells great, wonderful bracing feeling, the bottle looks cool sitting on your counter, makes all of those "skin care experts" who say alcohol is bad for your skin look silly when you splash it on and your skin just looks and feels so damn good afterward.

Ben

Kills germs, tightens pores, smells great, wonderful bracing feeling, the bottle looks cool sitting on your counter, makes all of those "skin care experts" who say alcohol is bad for your skin look silly when you splash it on and your skin just looks and feels so damn good afterward.

Ben

+1

Top Bottom