What's new

What's the point of points?

Do you like a pointy point?

• Yea

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
The sharp, pointy end of the razor - what's it good for?

To be clear, I don't mean a razor that has the blade extending all the way to the end - this isn't rounded tip or bust - I mean a razor that has a sharp point on the toe - a spike or square toe. A 90 degree or less angle that creates a point on the razor that can pierce the skin without the blade ever touching.

So - who likes 'em, who hates 'em, and why?

My guess is it might be useful when trimming and shaping hairlines like mustaches. I have a mustache and I could possibly benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be clear, I don't mean a razor that has the blade extending all the way to the end - this isn't rounded tip or bust - I mean a razor that has a sharp point on the toe - a spike or square toe. A 90 degree or less angle that creates a point on the razor that can pierce the skin without the blade ever touching.

I use the toe to go after individual hairs.
A square toe seems to be naturally suited to that.

However for the same action,
a round toe doesn't really get in the way.

But then again, I don't have any problems with a square point
which a round point is a solution to.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I like to use my Spanish point razor to get into those difficult nooks and crannies in my old weather-beaten face.
Profile Open.jpg
I cannot (yet) justify a M7DS of these, but I'm thinking about it :c9:.

I like the looks, not thrilled about the utility though.

Whether your technique is good or not, and whether you focused enough or not, would be determined by the shave & how the skin feels, wouldn't it?
I'd need to go out of my way and change a comfortable entry angle to avoid point-first/toe leading at all times. Seems if anything it encourages bad technique just to avoid a fraction of a millimeter of metal?
For reference, after a number of years DE shaving, I've got enough of a feel for angles & pressure that I can finish a fool's pass without too much trouble; the only blood that comes out is from a sharp point these days and I'm wondering how much, if anything, I'd miss by a razor that didn't have a point on it

When I shave under my nose, the first pass is a 90 degree going in, rotating down motion. Second pass is where a square/spanish point comes in handy. I go XTG with the point, small buffing motions into the corners to catch all the little bits of stubble that I know will annoy me all day if I don't get them.

Thanks, that makes a good bit of sense, for smaller areas I can see the preference. That said, thinking of ordering a custom and I'm leaning towards a rounded tip, maybe a dreadnought/spanish point rounded off (or just clip the tip like a kamisori) unless the point does something that just can't be done without it?

Thanks, that makes a good bit of sense, for smaller areas I can see the preference. That said, thinking of ordering a custom and I'm leaning towards a rounded tip, maybe a dreadnought/spanish point rounded off (or just clip the tip like a kamisori) unless the point does something that just can't be done without it?
I have seen some blades that has a very small 45 degree softening of the point on square points. Popular on some Japanese blades. That will still allow you to get into corners, because it's only about 1mm of the point that is removed.

I like 'em.

Sure, they catch me once in a while, but it keeps me on top of my game. Seperates the men from the boys, so to speak..

Besides, there are very few true spike points with dead sharp corners. Most are muted to some degree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom