What's new

What’s the point of a ‘devette’ razor please?

Greetings all.

I understand what a devette razor is; a safety razor without a safety bar in front of the blade. However I don’t quite understand the point of it because if I wanted a razor without the safety bar, I would purchase a shavette or an open comb razor.

Just to simplify matters, is there any advantage of a devette over a shavette such as a heavier handle or perhaps slightly better ease of use? (Apologies in case I have answered my own question here…)

Thanks in advance for your help as always!

Jason.

The point, as I understand it, is that functionally it's a DE razor. Meaning, a standard blade instead of dealing with half blades. And the handle like a safety razor. I know one person on here used his to learn to not apply pressure the hard way.

This old thread: No guard DE? (all 50 pages of it) may help. :biggrin:

BTW, safety bars and open combs are both guards. Guards are what make safety-razors safety-razors. :wink2:

Here's mine, I call it "The Coach" (that's because I'm a steep angle shaver):
NG-Butterscotch_2019-05-15.jpg

The baseplate holds the blade nice and rigid (but the guards have been ground off).

Shave wise, it wouldn't make any difference to a cap-rider/shallow-angle-shaver (apart from being "unsafe" due to the lack of guards).

@Cal I just read through the thread you linked to on devettes. A very interesting read. As a SR shaver, I am now intrigued about devette shaving.

Previously I have been scarred when shaving with a "safety" razor as they did not allow me to see the blade's edge on my skin. The Devette might calm a lot of my fear, except where the handle might obscure the sight of the edge.

Now all I have to do is find a cheap DE "safety" razor that I can easily modify to a devette.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@Cal I just read through the thread you linked to on devettes. A very interesting read. As a SR shaver, I am now intrigued about devette shaving.

Previously I have been scarred when shaving with a "safety" razor as they did not allow me to see the blade's edge on my skin. The Devette might calm a lot of my fear, except where the handle might obscure the sight of the edge.

Now all I have to do is find a cheap DE "safety" razor that I can easily modify to a devette.

If you struggle to adjust to the perpendicular handle, a Razorine with the combs removed, would give you a shavette that takes whole double edged blades. Personally, my preference for inline handles is one of the (several) things that stops me using straight format razors more, and I can get quite frustrated with the Razorine, trying to hit the angle sweet spot.

Aside from familiarity of use, I don't think the perpendicular handle would encumber you though. I can however understand your issue of the comb affecting visibility. As a partially bearded chap, I do occasionally switch to a Dovo shavette for edging up, just so I can see clearer what's happening where the blade approaches the bit I'm trying to keep.

I have two Ming Shi 2000S "safety" razors. After studying them, it shouldn't be too hard to modify one to a devette.

Just to simplify matters, is there any advantage of a devette over a shavette such as a heavier handle or perhaps slightly better ease of use? (Apologies in case I have answered my own question here…)

I am tempted to simply answer, "Manliness. Pure manliness."

But that would be both incorrect and provocative. :O) So I didn't.

I think it comes from several sources:

-- somebody's got a damaged razor that won't shave close;
-- somebody wants to try a straight or shavette, but either money or availability is a problem;
-- somebody really likes naked blade shaving, but also really likes T-shaped razors

I've had a few moments of considering getting an inexpensive but fairly good quality old razor and trying it. I like my shavettes, but I find the western style a bit cumbersome for head shaving. Kamisori style works much better for me, but in the end a nice slant razor still gives me the best shaves. I've come from "my how crazy some of these old coots are" to "that actually looks like something I might try one day."

I've also had the thought that guys with a devette (or a sevette) probably have very little trouble with the better half borrowing the razor to shave her legs. Not a problem in our house; Mrs. Hippie has her own stuff.

O.H.

Top Bottom