What's new

What’s the next step?

So, I’ve had several great shaves with my newly acquired Ever-Ready 1912, and I am already looking for another SE razor to add to my collection. Would like to stay with old razors rather than modern ones.

What I’d like to get is a razor that uses the same blades, and is just a shade more efficient without being harsh. Not that 1912 is inefficient.

Any suggestions?

How would you rate them by efficiency and mildness?

I’d love to have an even closer shave while keeping the extreme forgiveness of 1912.

The Micromatics are designed to be used flat on your face, if used this way, they feel very mild and extremely efficient. The bullet tip is least efficient and the MMOC is most efficient with the MMCP in the middle, but not far behind the MMOC.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So, I’ve had several great shaves with my newly acquired Ever-Ready 1912, and I am already looking for another SE razor to add to my collection. Would like to stay with old razors rather than modern ones.

What I’d like to get is a razor that uses the same blades, and is just a shade more efficient without being harsh. Not that 1912 is inefficient.

Any suggestions?
Yep, follow @rabidus' advice....Micromatics (I prefer the Open Comb, but you can't go wrong with a Clog-Pruf or Bullet Tip). There had been a pass-around containing all 3, and I think it's still active....check it out: Micromatic Passaround

+1 for the GEM Micromatic bullet tip. Mine was my grandfather's. It is a very friendly razor with a top quality build. You may need to search for one in good condition, but they are out there and still very affordable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

J. A. Henckels Rapide or Wotan. These lather catchers are mild and very efficient. The most impressive thing is how good they transport the used lather on the backside. This is the pros, the con is that you'll need a little practice to use them properly. You can use them with wedge blades or the standard GEMs.

Another step would be the Rolls Razor, technically it is straight razor blade with a handle, combined with a case to hon and strop the razor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you are looking for a Gem razor I will leave a small home made chart from my experiences with the GEM brand.
GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

If I had to pick one, it would be the GEM Damaskeene.
For me it provides smooth close shaves.

The ClogPruf is another great razor.

Top Bottom