What's new

What's the most satisfying part of shaving to you?

The hot lather being brushed on my face, the feel of my skin an hour later when the moisturizer has soaked in and all I feel is the skin sans whiskers.

I love shaving w my Gillette Old Type, 101 years old and giving me a fantastic BBS. There is nothing new under the sun. I laugh at shavers who extoll the virtues of 21st century creations. They’re simply stealing the achievements of the past.

Last edited:
1) developing that perfect balanced lather
2) slow deliberate mindful strokes with the right razor and blade combo which takes off the whiskers,
3) checking tough spots for whiskers, finding some and use the right attack direction with the razor and then check again - success
4) zero burn using alum !

Specifically If using a Gem razor - that loud toast scraping sound :)

How about the stinging effect of the aftershave, alum block etc?

Funny thing is when I was younger I loved the stinging sensation but now I'm a wimp lool 😂🤦
I'm a whimp too 🙂

I actually aim for zero feedback with my AS. It's my only post-shave step and I use it to measure the quality of the shave. If it burns it means I've been too rough with the brush and/or the razor.

This morning I had 2.5-days' growth, rough like 60-grit sandpaper. In the past, using a multiblade cartridge razor, I would've been dreading the shave; all that tugging!
Lathered up and went atmlt with my Feather SS loaded up with a Schick Proline blade. In seconds my right cheek was smooth. No tugging, no pulling, no pain.... just a smooth squeegee-like action and the stubble was gone.
That is the most satisfying part.

I'm falling in love with the entire Shaving routine, especially when I'm scourging for the soaps and fighting with my sanity and budget, then waiting a month for it to get delivered.
It's a chase and catch kind of feeling.

As for actual shaving; I love it when the tools come together and create a never before experience with a shave that is smooth, effortless and satisfying as well.

Closeness of the shave achieved is added bonus. Ofcourse, " The Burn " at the end is dreaded and awaited/ welcome at the same time.

All of it... but in particular...

1- Building lather (face)
2- The sound and texture of the blade cutting
3- The burn/freeze of my aftershaves of choice (Snakebite, Cryogen, Co9T, VIBR, Ogallala double strength)

*droooooools*

Favorite parts...
  • Matching the soap, brush, razor, and aftershave to my mood.
  • Developing the lather to release the scent and make it a protective medium, and then applying it to my face.
  • Working my technique to get all those pesky whiskers and leave me soft and smooth.
  • Smelling like a million bucks at the end.
  • Knowing that I get to do it all again the next day.
There's also an added boost knowing that I'm using a 100-200 year old blade that was a rusty hunk of junk when I got it, and is now restored to it's original functional state.

As a dedicated face latherer, I have to say building up the lather (especially with a Boar) is the most satisfying part of the shave.

Also, mowing down a 3 day stubble on an R41 with a Nacet during a cold shave. Few sounds compare to that crunch of rough whiskers meeting cold steel.

This morning I had 2.5-days' growth, rough like 60-grit sandpaper. In the past, using a multiblade cartridge razor, I would've been dreading the shave; all that tugging!
Lathered up and went atmlt with my Feather SS loaded up with a Schick Proline blade. In seconds my right cheek was smooth. No tugging, no pulling, no pain.... just a smooth squeegee-like action and the stubble was gone.
That is the most satisfying part.
About the same for me. The extreme contrast between the feel to my hand of a 48-hour beard, and the feel of the planed-off and powdered version of the same areas, is very satisfying.

The "shik, shik" sound of the blade slicing my beard is another hgh point. Though I usually don't hear it, as I have news or music playing, or the A/C is blowing, or both.

Top Bottom