What's new

What's the matter with cheap brandy, it's allright!

I spent 15 years in poverty, working outdoors summer and winter. One of the few luxuries after working outdoors in the snow was a glass of EJ Gallo Brandy, sitting by the woodstove.

Now that I've clawed my way into the middle class, I've had a few bottle of Cognac and other fine brandies, but I just don't get it. I keep coming back to California...now my main drink is Paul Masson VS.

So, what's is screwed up about me? No taste buds? Made permanently a cheap bastard? Or is all this cognac stuff just hype?

There are so many countries that produce aqua vitae that I would find it presumptuous to say it’s Cognac and nothing else. Even within France they have a main contender with Armagnac.

Spanish Brandy and Portuguese Aguardente Velha have wonderful dried fruit and wood tones
Brandy from the South African Cape region is made in a pot still and though dry/woody as Cognac is still a completely different animal
Armenian Brandy has a again tons of dried fruit and sweetness
German Weinbrand is unfortunately cheap rocket fuel :c7:

I never had an US Brandy but would it be possible I would have a glass with you to celebrate variety!

I have lived, barely, paycheck to paycheck, and now I have somewhat of an abundance. Not wealthy, by any means, but comfortable. I don't drink expensive drinks. Even my coffee is cheap, although I roast my own beans, so they are cheap but tasty. I purchase middle shelf liquors (smirnoff, baccardi, Evan Williams, etc) as I can't justify spending more on something that basically tastes the same. I drink boxed wine, as I can't tell the difference between that and a reasonably priced bottle of wine, with the exception of black box. I tried it once, dumped it out after one sip, and will never try it again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have lived, barely, paycheck to paycheck, and now I have somewhat of an abundance. Not wealthy, by any means, but comfortable. I don't drink expensive drinks. Even my coffee is cheap, although I roast my own beans, so they are cheap but tasty. I purchase middle shelf liquors (smirnoff, baccardi, Evan Williams, etc) as I can't justify spending more on something that basically tastes the same. I drink boxed wine, as I can't tell the difference between that and a reasonably priced bottle of wine, with the exception of black box. I tried it once, dumped it out after one sip, and will never try it again.

Now, Rum I actually do open up the wallet for. I keep Cruzan around for mixing, but Zaya, Angostura 7, and Rhum Barbancourt 8 (IMO) are all wonderful, for maybe twice the cost of Cruzan or Bacardi.

If you're into inexpensive brandies, I would recommend Symbole National XO. It's about $15 at Total Wine & More. I enjoy its flavors, but find that the after effects are a little stronger than with some of the higher shelf brandies.

The same holds true about wines (and most other alcohol). Usually, the premium for them is for the better quality, which results in reduced after effects. (Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, where the premium is due to branding/public relations.)

I remember when I first started drinking (I'm purely a recreational/social drinker), my dad advised me to stay away from rotgut and other cheap stuff not because they don't taste good but because they can cause more negative after effects (including worse hangovers). In the idiocy of my youth, I unintentionally managed to prove him right! 😁

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
There are some wonderful inexpensive brandies. There are also so wonderful very expensive brandies. To me, the thrill of the search is finding where those meet. For first impressions, I have been thrilled with sone very inexpensive brandies. Try Paulet VS.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Never got into brandy, but always thought that Asbach Uralt from Germany was good.

I’m about ready to sample some inexpensive brandy. I started sampling cognac recently. found two I like one is ABK6 VSOP. It’s on sale at the moment at total wine for $30. I’m hoping I can enjoy E&J or something similar because dang that stuff is affordable. I will be going to total wine this week. So I’ll let you know what I come home with.

Ain't nothing wrong with it. I have a bottle of Laird's 7.5 yr old apple brandy on the bar these days. I like it with a cigar.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I don't mind inexpensive Brandy, but did try some cheap Vodka once, and it was absolutely horrible! Tasted like burn plastic,, I still remember, and that was 35 years ago. :eek2:

Mason VS is good.

I actually prefer it over the VSOP.

has a little more caramel note to it for me.

doesnt hurt either that its been on sale at a local big box grocery for $10 either.

camo

I spent 15 years in poverty, working outdoors summer and winter. One of the few luxuries after working outdoors in the snow was a glass of EJ Gallo Brandy, sitting by the woodstove.

Now that I've clawed my way into the middle class, I've had a few bottle of Cognac and other fine brandies, but I just don't get it. I keep coming back to California...now my main drink is Paul Masson VS.

So, what's is screwed up about me? No taste buds? Made permanently a cheap bastard? Or is all this cognac stuff just hype?

I use the cheapest brandy I can find for this recipe,
otherwise there's no point:

I use less sugar than he does.

I use cheaper brandy for mixing drinks often. I will occasionally enjoy a glass neat. I usually have a nice cognac or French brandy on hand for sipping, but even then a glass of something affordable is nice as well. If I drank more of it, I would definitely get an affordable daily driver.

I’m about ready to sample some inexpensive brandy. I started sampling cognac recently. found two I like one is ABK6 VSOP. It’s on sale at the moment at total wine for $30. I’m hoping I can enjoy E&J or something similar because dang that stuff is affordable. I will be going to total wine this week. So I’ll let you know what I come home with.

Over the decades, I've tried all the inexpensive brandies, and Ernesto and Julio were my men for many a cold winters night, but IMO Paul Masson is much superior. St. Remy from France is another excellent affordable one.

Going to keep my eyes open for Symbole Nationale.

Top Bottom