What's new

What's the longest you've stuck to using just one razor?

Whether it's because you were running some experiment in self control or had no choice because you only had one since the rest where off getting honed, lets hear it; what's the longest you've gone using just the same straight razor and what razor was it? I knowhttp://badgerandblade.com/vb/member.php?u=8515 Chimensch shaved with his one Dovo for something like 28 years before finding B&B :biggrin:.

At first I thought "2 weeks before I bought my second straight", but then I remembered I was using a DE every few days then, so that doesn't count. I think the most I've gone is 5 days with my Heljestrand when I first got it. Even with a very small collection, I keep the rotation rolling often.

I started shaving with a 3/4 to full-hollow LeGrelot more than a year ago. I have 9 of them altogether: two steel-scaled razors that I travel with and the 7-day set that I received in May. I haven't used any of my other razors since and I'm going to sell them when I get around to buying a camera. It's a pretty nice collection including two Livi regrinds, a Filarmonica, World Master, Friodur, several orignal Wapi's and others.

I went several weeks last spring -- maybe 3 months altogether -- using nothing but my Friodur. I wasn't good at refreshing the edges on my blades and hadn't got around to sending the others out for honing. The only blade I had to shave with was the Henckels.

Chimensch: Sounds like you have a great collection. I might be interested in a couple.

s.

Pretty cool. These first few months I have mostly reached for a different razor every day myself; I'm going to start giving each one a week of use instead before rolling them to the back of the line.

I wanted originally to check out different grinds and sizes to figure out what I like, I found out I have either been lucky or turning into a pack-rat because I like them all and right now I can't see myself getting rid of any of them.

lol, I shaved with the same Merkur Progress DE for something like 8 or 9 years before finding B&B. Now, when I see a post like Chimensch's I have to slap myself to stop before I start asking "What'cha got??"

i think it was 4 or 5 weeks with my first straight, dovo 6/8. then had a death in the family and needed reliably close shaves for a while, so went to cartridge and ordered a DE. since then... 16 days with my new dovo micarta before i needed a fast shave one night and used a DE. hopefully i will find a barber stone and a new leather strop with cloth and stay with my micarta for a very long time.

I've stuck to my Dovo 6/8 since day one (April) I love the razor, but I'm really tempted on buying a Filarmonica, the whole "para barbas duras" (for tough beards) thing sound promising.

I used a basic full hollow 5/8" Wade and Butcher off and on over 40 years and until I started reading shaving forums. Then it all started and 100 to 150 razors later.........................

Now I use a Boker one day and a Wilkinson of Pall Mall the next and have been for six months. I don't "need" any other razors.

Mind you, I've just got a couple of new ones on the way to try. I got tempted by the German E bay the other day. Don't know why I did it, it's a kind of sickness.

I really like the razors I've got but unlike with women, you can try out as many razors as you like without getting into too much trouble.

Top Bottom