What's new

What's the least-airy, slickest non-artisan soap?

I'll Have to give a big vote for Dove Men+Care 3 in 1. I've been using this soap for a few months now and will match it anytime with the Arko performance, except that it has a more pleasant scent. At $1.50-$1.75 per bar, it is an exceptional budget soap. I just shave and press the soap into a bowl and puck lather it. After trying far too many soaps, I'm just using Kilos of Vitos and Cella, Arko stick bowl pressed, and Dove Men+Care.
I think that if this soap was not just looked at as a hand-shower soap and packaged strictly as a (puck) shave soap and had a more masculine name, this soap would have a better following.I realize that each of us have our own preference and way of choosing shave soaps.

I'll Have to give a big vote for Dove Men+Care 3 in 1. I've been using this soap for a few months now and will match it anytime with the Arko performance, except that it has a more pleasant scent. At $1.50-$1.75 per bar, it is an exceptional budget soap. I just shave and press the soap into a bowl and puck lather it. After trying far too many soaps, I'm just using Kilos of Vitos and Cella, Arko stick bowl pressed, and Dove Men+Care.
I think that if this soap was not just looked at as a hand-shower soap and packaged strictly as a (puck) shave soap and had a more masculine name, this soap would have a better following.I realize that each of us have our own preference and way of choosing shave soaps.
I’ve been reading so much about dove soap lately that I’m almost buying one to try.

Does the lather disappear like almost all hand soaps? How’s the consistency?

Do you find it better than the regular white dove? That one has been mentioned over here lately too.

I’ve been reading so much about dove soap lately that I’m almost buying one to try.

Does the lather disappear like almost all hand soaps? How’s the consistency?

Do you find it better than the regular white dove? That one has been mentioned over here lately too.
Unlike the white Dove, Dove Men+Care 3in1 (see razor on the package) is formulated to make a thick, rich, long-lasting, hydrating, moisturizing lather. I like the Orange Skin Defence package. Being a hard soap, it will last a long time. The little time it takes to shave and press it into a bowl is the only drawback.

Unlike the white Dove, Dove Men+Care 3in1 (see razor on the package) is formulated to make a thick, rich, long-lasting, hydrating, moisturizing lather. I like the Orange Skin Defence package. Being a hard soap, it will last a long time. The little time it takes to shave and press it into a bowl is the only drawback.
Thank you! I’ll pick some up next time I see it.

I have never used the Dove Men+Care 3in1 for shaving, but I did use regular white Dove exclusively for a few years. I don't remember creating a disappearing lather though. I did lather one regular white Dove recently and it lathered easily and was super slick. In my experience, the biggest problem with the white Dove was that it dried up my skin significantly.

In your opinion, does the Dove Men+Care 3in1 makes a big difference in lather stability and keeping the skin hydrated when comparing to white Dove? The Men+Care 3in1, as you said, seems to be formulated as a shaving soap bar as well.

L.E.: Dove Men+Care 3in1 does not seem to be available in Europe.

Last edited:
Doesn't get much creamier or slicker than Tabac. I've only ever used the tallow version, but the new version seems to perform similarly from many reports here. Arko is a very close second for me. Both are my favorite mass produced soaps.

SV or SMN….these offer very dense lather and are super slick. Some of my best soaps.

Now the most dense soap of all is PAA but you said you didn’t want artisan. Nice yogurt like lather….great stuff.

Last edited:
Currently working on dialing in Haslinger Schafmilk after unsuccessfully trying to perfect MWF for about a month. I'm looking for a really dense lather. Is there a better option than Haslinger out there (other than artisan options like as MdC)? I may eventually try the higher-end soaps, but part of the fun of wetshaving for me is finding really good cheap solutions to problems.Thanks everyone.

Cella and Shannon's perform as well for me as any soap I've tried at any price, and they're both inexpensive. They also both do the yogurt thing very well, which is my preferred soap consistency.

SV also does yogurt and edges out the other two for slickness... at multiples of the price. I like having the variety around but would never recommend SV to anyone prioritizing cost-effectiveness. Likewise, Shannon's Chupacabra base isn't enough of an improvement over her standard base to justify the increased price... if I'm making cost-effectiveness the deciding factor.

Dollar-for-dollar, I don't think a brick of Cella can be beat.

Top Bottom