What's new

What's the last tub of soap you finished and what did you think about it?

So in owning a lot of soaps it's become very rare that I actually finish a tub of anything. This is something that I want to change so I'm likely going to start using the same soap on weekdays in an effort to actually finish a soap once in a while.

I'm not jumping on the 3017 bandwagon so I'll likely still mix it up a bit one the weekends to keep it interesting.

That being said I've been working on a tub of Grooming Dept Aether for several weeks now and just finished it up last week.

The soap was outstanding with some really excellent post shave feel, great slickness and I enjoyed the touch or menthol that was in it. Definitely a soap that I'd be happy using again.

I'm almost sad to have finished the tub but my newfound happiness of actually finishing something has surpassed the enjoyment of using the familiar soap daily.

I completely use a couple of Arko sticks a year and it’s my standard daily soap about 80% of the time, I still dig it.

Outside of that the last soaps I completely finished were two Razorocks, XXX and Mudder Focker. XXX is still one of my favorite scents. Mudder Focker I could live without, nothing wrong with it but there are better scents available to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last finished tub was Grooming Dept Clarus. It was very good but I don't think I'll order that brand again unless the soaps become available from another vendor.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve used a lot of Williams pucks and Arko sticks but I’ve only completely used one tub of other soap - Cella - an excellent soap. That was probably seven years ago. Now I’m having to find places to hide soaps from my wife. My current favorite is Haslinger Shafmilch though and I don’t know what the life expectancy of that little darling will be. I’m most of the way through a tub of Proraso Green and just started a tub of Proraso Red. Have a tub of Clubman arriving tomorrow. I tend to stick with the classic rather than the artisan.

Last edited:
So in owning a lot of soaps it's become very rare that I actually finish a tub of anything......
LOL. That is about the story of my life (shaving).
Last “finished” was probably a tub of Mike’s Bay Rum from his Brooklyn days :)
Before that i think i did finish a tub of Cella once.
Now usually shave only every other day so at roughly 180 shaves a year, and maybe 15+ soaps in rotation (and another 10 or so in tryouts), not likely to finish a tub anytime soon.

My last finished tub was Grooming Dept Clarus. It was very good but I don't think I'll order that brand again unless the soaps become available from another vendor.

It's avail through West Coast Shaving, in store in Pasteur's Pharmacy and online at another shaving website that I don't recall at the moment. I'm told that West Coast placed a big order so hopefully you'll see it there soon.

Finished a tub of First Canadian "Bay Rum & Lime".
It made pretty good lather and I liked the scent, which has less clove and more lime than usual.
Unfortunately, I think it's the lime scent ingredient that irritates my skin a bit. Their "Loretto Lime & Rosemary" even more so.
I'll stick to their "Barber Shop Taper Fade", the best-smelling soap in the world, IMHO.

Last edited:
3017-ing all the 'scented' soaps and creams i have and won't be replacing/repeating any of them, last of the tubs was P160.

dave

Hmm, I have only finished about 3 tubs of soap since I started wetshaving back in 2012. Mitchell's Wool Fat, and Van Der Hagen Luxury (x2).

VDH luxury is my favorite budget soap. I bought a 3-pack recently. I didn't care for MWF. It was very difficult to build a lather in my hard water.

It has been awhile since I finished any soap (last year) and I have been on a bit of a buying spree lately putting me deeper in the hole. When I do finish a soap it is cause for celebration. What I have been doing is using each soap for three consecutive shaves. This allows me to put a dent in each soap as it comes up in my rotation. Other benefits are that I learn each soap a little bit better as I move them through my rotation and I get to see how my shaving bowl, scuttle, brushes, razors and blades work with that particular soap over the three day period.

The last tub I finished was PAA Gondolier. This was my first shaving soap and I absolutely fell in love with the scent. I’ve since ordered another one along with the aftershave, but in between the two tubs I’ve started using better soaps such as Stirling, Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk, Declaration Grooming, Grooming Department, and Barrister’s Reserve. I now find that the PAA feels very average in comparison comparison. It’s not a bad soap any means, I think that my personal bar has just been raised. I don’t find myself reaching for it very often, though I do still love the scent.

Mike's Coconut. I like it so much I immediately slapped a new bar in that I had waiting for space. I'm almost through a Mike's Lime that has a replacement bar waiting to go in.

I like Mike's.

I finished a tub of Grooming Dept. Mallard in February of this year. I've been rotating a bit since and also trying some samples, but a couple of tubs are starting to show some weakness. Very satisfying to finish off a soap.

GD Mallard 2.10.18.jpg

Recently finished a Stirling Sharp Dressed Man - This led to me getting some samples and dropping about $180 bucks for Island Man and Mountain Man which are two of the best smelling scents/AS that I have ever used.

I enjoy finishing off a soap. Those last few lathers and scents I zone in on and pay attention to reserving them for my memory. Declaration Pure Lavender finished on Sunday. It’s nice but there is something missing in the soap base for me. I’ve been able to finish off a few artisans in the past few months. The 3017 method keeps the soaps moist and gets through them faster. Being a mostly daily face shaver and head-shaver (once or twice a week) certainly helps.

This summer is going to be about two artisans. GroomingDept and Tallow & Steel. High hopes for both reformulations/additions and can’t wait to finish off their jars...quickly!

Top Bottom