What's new

What's the holy grail of synthetic brushes?

Well, I only have a Simpsons T2 synthetic. Honestly, I see no need to get any other synthetic, maybe a T3 if I suddenly feel the urge for a bigger knot. It lathers soap great, it has lots of backbone but it is soft on the face. To me, paying for Muhle or Omega Evo is not worth it. I think the T2 is the absolute best combination of price and quality. If I had the money for platinum fibre, Muhle or Evo would I try it? Sure. Do I need it? No.

I mainly used boars but they always find a way to annoy me. My Semogue started being floppy, my Omega ate lather like crazy and now my Zenith has broken hairs already. So whenever I want a nice and calm shave, I just reach for my T2, it never disappoints.
" If I had the money for platinum fibre, Muhle or Evo would I try it? Sure. Do I need it? No."
Thanks, that applies to so many things in life, sometimes I have to slow down and ask myself the same.

At the moment, Shavemac, followed by Mühle Silvertip Fibres, but I do have high hopes for the Simpsons Platinum synthetic brushes - once I can get my hands on one. :001_cool:

The previous Simpsons synthetics were nice enough, but no improvement over synthetic Shavemacs or Mühle Silvertip Fibres.

B.

At the moment, Shavemac, followed by Mühle Silvertip Fibres, but I do have high hopes for the Simpsons Platinum synthetic brushes - once I can get my hands on one. :001_cool:

The previous Simpsons synthetics were nice enough, but no improvement over synthetic Shavemacs or Mühle Silvertip Fibres.

B.

Well, there seems to be no need for me to hold my breath for a ‘New’ Simpsons Platinum synthetic brush, because I have one already since 2018 (sort of). :001_unsur

From what I gathered in the last two days, the 2022 Simpsons ‘Platinum Bristle’ Chubby 2 is just another name for the 2018 Simpsons ‘Synthetic Bristle’ Chubby 2 (AFAIK their only synthetic at that time), which in itself was just another name for the earlier Simpsons ‘Synthetic Badger’ Chubby 2.

Besides the name, the only difference seems to be the price (e.g. 2018 Chubby 2 ‘Synthetic Bristle’ €67/$71 vs. 2022 Chubby ‘Platinum’ €88/$94).
The ‘New’ for the current white Faux Ivory Platinum Chubby 2 seems to signify nothing else than that the previous white Faux Ivory ‘Synthetic Bristle’ Chubby 2 is now back in stock under a new name.

I like the Simpsons brand and do appreciate their excellent service, but this smells a bit disingenuous, doesn’t it? :confused1

Mark, from Simpsons, whom I respect very much, is a member here and I wonder how he would explain the rationale behind these changes in name only.

B.

Last edited:
In my experience the Simpson Platinum grade is head and shoulders above the Sovereign used in the Trafalgar line. Simpsons ‘Synthetic Badger’ Chubby 2 is still one of my favs. I had a Trafalgar T3 and hated it.
That said, Muhle STF 2 is superior and it reigned supreme as the king of synthetic fibers until six months ago.
As of today, I prefer the fibers used in Omega 'Evo 2' brushes and the new G7 developed by Frank Shaving.

Synthetic fibers are so many and each one has its own characteristics and nuances and your preferences may differ.

A synthetic that can retain water like badger and develops more tip presence is the holy grail. It will never be a replacement as so many like to claim over badger until it overcomes those two barriers. That’s coming from someone that vastly prefers badger. Omega Evo is the closest I’ve found, but I’m not chasing that rabbit hole any longer until someone convinces me synthetic has matched those two criteria.

A synthetic that can retain water like badger and develops more tip presence is the holy grail. It will never be a replacement as so many like to claim over badger until it overcomes those two barriers. That’s coming from someone that vastly prefers badger. Omega Evo is the closest I’ve found, but I’m not chasing that rabbit hole any longer until someone convinces me synthetic has matched those two criteria.
And those are also reasons why some others might prefer a synthetic brush over a badger. I don’t personally welcome attempts to make synthetic brushes emulate badger hair - for me it’s self-defeating and if that’s what you want you should get badger, not synthetic. They are different types of knot with different characteristics. You could view them as pros and cons, but I don’t - I think they are just differences.

Sounds like for you badger is simply your preference and at least for now there’s no point exploring synthetics.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

And those are also reasons why some others might prefer a synthetic brush over a badger. I don’t personally welcome attempts to make synthetic brushes emulate badger hair - for me it’s self-defeating and if that’s what you want you should get badger, not synthetic. They are different types of knot with different characteristics. You could view them as pros and cons, but I don’t - I think they are just differences.

Sounds like for you badger is simply your preference and at least for now there’s no point exploring synthetics.

Precisely. A synth will let the water ride on the surface of the knot fibers, releasing the water and soap in a very efficient way. A badger sucks the water into the knot fibers and releases it a little bit at a time. And it never fully releases all of the water, or all of the soap for that matter. That is why badgers can sometimes use more soap than a synth.

I like a badger for the luxury it provides. I like a synth for the efficiency. Two different experiences. I like them both. But i clearly know the difference and pick the brush that suits my mood.

I haven’t seen a single synthetic where they haven’t advertised themselves as being better than badger. As a separate category they are fine. As someone that likes badger and testing out their claims, they are rubbish. The product itself isn’t. If you want a faster drying time, go synthetic. You want absurdly soft, go synthetic. Everything comes down to the individual. I find interest in them, but I just don’t see anything new coming for a few decades to make them what I am looking for. Badger won’t be around as an option for myriad reasons in the future in my opinion, and I wouldn’t mind an option for the future.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Badger won’t be around as an option for myriad reasons in the future in my opinion, and I wouldn’t mind an option for the future.
The option is to stock up on badger brushes now. I know I have enough Paladins to last me the rest of my days on this planet.

I honestly LOVE the Stirling Soap Company’s Synthetic 2-Band brush with the 24mmx56mm knot. I’ve used the Kong and Lil’ Brudder brushes from them but find the 2-band has better backbone, lathers quick, and just works great. For $14 to boot.

So, following the thread of "What's the holy grail of boar brushes", I had to create this one. I do love boar and badger, but for me, synthetics are my go to 7/8 out of 10 times when I shave.

They require less soap/cream to deliver a fantastic lather, are way easier and fast when cleaning up or drying, and literally everytime you use them, you know they will build fantastic lathers almost effortless, and there are plenty of fiber types to fullfill all the tastes.

For me, the sweetspot are the 26mm knots, and my favorite knots are: Timberwolf, Faux Horse and Cashmere!

So, considering this, what's your favorite knots, diameter, brands, etc? Share with us!

So, following the thread of "What's the holy grail of boar brushes", I had to create this one. I do love boar and badger, but for me, synthetics are my go to 7/8 out of 10 times when I shave.

They require less soap/cream to deliver a fantastic lather, are way easier and fast when cleaning up or drying, and literally everytime you use them, you know they will build fantastic lathers almost effortless, and there are plenty of fiber types to fullfill all the tastes.

For me, the sweetspot are the 26mm knots, and my favorite knots are: Timberwolf, Faux Horse and Cashmere!

So, considering this, what's your favorite knots, diameter, brands, etc? Share with us!

I have added 5 synthetic brushes to the 2 badgers that I already own.
2 SIMPSONS (Trafalgar) T2 and T3
3 RazorRocks - Big Bruce - Monster - Orange Beehive.
I do find that the SYNTHETICS all create great lather, are very soft, and fast drying.
I am now a believer in SYNTHETIC brushes over badger brushes.

Top Bottom