What's new

What's the holy grail of boar brushes?

Each year I see jars of Marshmallow Fluff in the special "Kosher for Passover" section of my local supermarket. Try a Fluffernutter on matzoh sometime. It's terrific. The way Jesus ate 'em.
Living in AZ now, the only place I can get Fluff is World Market or Amazon. It's not in the house as much as it was when I was growing up in MA.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Living in AZ now, the only place I can get Fluff is World Market or Amazon. It's not in the house as much as it was when I was growing up in MA.
The Kraft marshmallow stuff is OK. A Massachusetts man can tell the difference, but most people can't.

I think this is the right forum to ask a question about a specific boar brush that might be a grail and might not be. The other day I was surfing internet searching for different brushes. I found a real beast of a brush. "The Big One" by Zenith. It's a giant boar brush the knott is 31 mm in diameter and loft over 50 mm. It looks like a Simpson Chubby 3. It's made in Sicily but only sold by the Gentle Shaver in USA.
Has anyone used this brush, and if so what was your experience?
For a boar brush it's a bit pricey but I'm sorley tempted. For nothing else, the brag factor. A boar Chubby 3 🐗🐷
I have, use and enjoy "Tbe Big One". It is comically large and my only issue is I often shortchange loading and need more by the second pass. I really just bring it out when it's time to put a soap to rest but what a fun time that is. It'd probably excell for a head shaver... or legs even.

As far as quality it's a Zenith which is top notch. I think mine is still breaking in but honestly it was usable out of the box.

I don't know I would call any the holy grail but would say there are some gems worth exploring. The ones I go to the most would have to be my unbleached Zenith in olive. And my well broken in SOC. Please note well broken in. I almost binned it for the first 30-40 lathers.

Good luck on the journey and speak up if you find any treasures along the way.
20201219_103126.jpg

In particular, to me, the SOC boar is barely worth keeping around. Many disagree.

I concur, and I really don't understand why. As crazy as I am about the Omega 10049, I would think that the SOC would be great also but nope, not for me. I can't figure out why, either, except that it does splay more than the Omega.

For me, the Omega with a deluxe handle would be the grail.

Reactions: GNR

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well, I'm going to have experience soon!

You guys are talking about this brush?

1670094034581.png

I should acquire one, and might, but not today.

Any reviews?

I have a fourth unbleached Zenith boar on the way (from Your Shaving). Those unbleached knots once broken in are hard to beat. The Jade Omega Pro from Connaught is also hard to beat. Several others, too, but I don't have The Big One. It might beat a lot of brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You guys are talking about this brush?

View attachment 1566419

I should acquire one, and might, but not today.

Any reviews?

I have a fourth unbleached Zenith boar on the way (from Your Shaving). Those unbleached knots once broken in are hard to beat. The Jade Omega Pro from Connaught is also hard to beat. Several others, too, but I don't have The Big One. It might beat a lot of brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Mine just came in the mail. Let me put the size into perspective for you...
Carrie at Soap Commander is going to love this brush and what it's going to do for her soap sales. I think this will be strictly a head shaving brush.

PXL_20221203_200424790.jpg

PXL_20221203_200319726.jpg

Mine just came in the mail. Let me put the size into perspective for you...
Carrie at Soap Commander is going to love this brush and what it's going to do for her soap sales. I think this will be strictly a head shaving brush.

View attachment 1566468

View attachment 1566469

That's what should be used when you have a puck with 20 or 30gr of soap left on it, and you want to finish it immediatly 😂

I have the (well, an) answer! If you are a head shaver then it's the Zenith "The Big One"! Man oh man what a great brush for your head! I just can't envision myself using anything but. Keep in mind, this enthusiasm is after one use. I received this yesterday. I merely cleaned it last night in the ultra sonic, bowl lathered it up and rinsed it in the ultra sonic, rinsed in again under running water on my palm, and dried it with a small desk fan for several hours. It lathered like a pro with its first shave!

PXL_20221203_200424790.jpg

PXL_20221203_200319726.jpg

PXL_20221204_201151180.jpg

Top Bottom