What's new

What's the draw for Artist Club type razors?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I just recently got a couple of Schick injector razors after not having used one for four decades, and I love them. Used DE's exclusively until recently.

So what is the draw for the artist club type razors? The RazoRock Hawk or the Vector over other SE razors? At the moment my favorite razor, including my DE's, might just be my Type E4 Schick using Chick blades. The shave is amazing.

This AC thing is new to me. What is it exactly? Thanks!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
For me the real winner is the actual Feather Artist Club razor. The one that looks like a straight. I am not a fan of the stropping and blade maintenance that comes with a real straight, so being able to pick up my AC with any of the variety of available blades and start immediately shaving is awesome. And the results are excellent. I’ve had quite a few AC bladed single edge razors and none of them really ticked the boxes for me. But then again, after more than a dozen injector razors, they don’t float my boat either.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
The blades are thick and no chatter with the standard injectors as well. And I have no interest in a straight in any form. Been there done that. And not comparing them to a DE.

Very Specifically, why should I consider an AC type razor (not a straight style) versus specifically, an injector razor, like the Shicks or the Supply Razor?

How about this for specifics. Why should I get a RR Hawk or a Vector razor (type) instead of a Shick or Supply injector (type). Stick to comparing only those choices. I'll never use any form of a SR and I will continue to use a DE. This is an SE question only. Leave all other razor types out of the responses, please. It will only muddy the waters.

Of course that will never happen. :001_rolle

You don't have to get an AC razor if you love your injector. There are certainly a lot of similarities.
I would choose the colonial General over an injector any day of the week, but the differences are actually pretty subtle. The main difference is that the blade is wider. I see this as a pretty big plus, but some people don't like it at all, and much prefer the narrower blade.

I like variety so that’s why I picked up an aluminum Hawk on here. Got a great shave but also lots of chatter ATG. I’m guessing that’s due to weight. I really enjoyed the experience and the results but, pretty hard to beat an E type Schick. It’s just perfect. That and a Krona are my top 2.

I've got 3 AC razors:

1. Feather AC SS Japanese style (aka non-folding)
2. RR Hawk v.3-SB
3. Blackland Vector with both SB and OC plates

I bought the AC SS, as I was curious about straights. I managed to get to a level where I can obtain the BBS, but I found the razor "laborious" and unforgiving (especially when loaded with the Pro Super blade). Bottom-line: I never use it.

The Hawk is your #1 choice for a great, no-nonsense, reasonably priced first SE razor. If you happen like it, you can explore further. Some people like it so much, they stop right there (not an unreasonable decision at all). That said, Hawk is mild, so mild you can't cut yourself even if you try. This comes at a price of being what some would say inefficient, as you have to maintain the specific angle to make up for a very narrow useful angle of attack. In other words, if you like the Feather AS-D2 in DEs, this is her "soulmate" in SE world. IDK about OC and A plate, but the SB was just too mild for me. Bottom-line: I never use it.

The Vector is THE SE razor to get if you're serious about AC-type SE razors. Period. End of story. Full stop. There is nothing quite like, with its pin-screw going through the base plate. The level of nimbleness and agility is unrivaled. I know there are some great SE razors out there like Colonial and ATT, but nothing comes close to Vector. NOTHING.

So there ya have it.

P.s.: Me, I take my Vector for the spin every now and then, but have returned to DE as my primary choice of safety razor.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Outside of lining up the top of my sideburns and cleaning up the nape of my neck, it’s just another toy to play with. The RazoRock Hawk V3OC gives me both more blade exposure and rigidity than other razors I use. Learning what to do with that has been an adventure best suited for not me.

Outside of lining up the top of my sideburns and cleaning up the nape of my neck, it’s just another toy to play with. The RazoRock Hawk V3OC gives me both more blade exposure and rigidity than other razors I use. Learning what to do with that has been an adventure best suited for not me.
You must wear wide sideburns if you need an AC blade to trim them.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The blades are thick and no chatter with the standard injectors as well. And I have no interest in a straight in any form. Been there done that. And not comparing them to a DE.

Very Specifically, why should I consider an AC type razor (not a straight style) versus specifically, an injector razor, like the Shicks or the Supply Razor?

How about this for specifics. Why should I get a RR Hawk or a Vector razor (type) instead of a Shick or Supply injector (type). Stick to comparing only those choices. I'll never use any form of a SR and I will continue to use a DE. This is an SE question only. Leave all other razor types out of the responses, please. It will only muddy the waters.

Of course that will never happen. :001_rolle

The AC format has definite advantages due to the blade design and the variety of excellent razors available.

Regarding the razors, I can only speak for myself.....

The Blackland Razors Vector (SB and OC plates + full complement of guarded and unguarded blades) is my currently available #1 razor of any format.

Adjustable (plates and blades combinations), nimble, maneuverable, incredibly Effective (Efficient + Smooth = Effective), feels great in hand and on face, and much more. Were it not for my (very real) ADD, the Vector would be my every day razor. :thumbup:

The Vector combines the advantages of the AC blade format with the nimble and maneuverable benefits of the injectors.

I have other excellent AC razors (Colonial Razors The General, RazoRock Hawk v3, ATT SE1) that cost less than the Vector and provide fine shaves. I just don't use them very much since I have the Vector. :cool:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The AC format has definite advantages due to the blade design and the variety of excellent razors available.

Regarding the razors, I can only speak for myself.....

The Blackland Razors Vector (SB and OC plates + full complement of guarded and unguarded blades) is my currently available #1 razor of any format.

Adjustable (plates and blades combinations), nimble, maneuverable, incredibly Effective (Efficient + Smooth = Effective), feels great in hand and on face, and much more. Were it not for my (very real) ADD, the Vector would be my every day razor. [emoji106]

The Vector combines the advantages of rge AC blade format with the nimble and maneuverable benefits of the injectors.

:cool:

Hope this helps.

Kudos to Shane for designing what seems to be by far the smartest AC format razor extant but its utility in small hollows will still limited by the width of the blade/head, not just its mass. I recognize that's not an issue for most folks, it is for me. My injector blade equipped Mark Cross or Enders Speed, or DE is easier here than a wide AC format razor.

proxy.php

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Based on Shane’s comments regarding the Blackland Era prototypes, it’s supposed to hold a DE blade with SE-like rigidity. If your existing rigidity champs and AC-SE razors don’t dewhisker the nuchal ridge so well, more help is on the way.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Kudos to Shane for designing what seems to be by far the smartest AC format razor extant but its utility in small hollows will still limited by the width of the blade/head, not just its mass. I recognize that's not an issue for most folks, it is for me. My injector blade equipped Mark Cross or Enders Speed, or DE is easier here than a wide AC format razor.

proxy.php

I am not a head shaver so my comments should be taken in that context.

The area you circled looks like it would be difficult to shave.

What blades/mods are you using in your Enders?

proxy.php

Top Bottom