What's new

What's the down low on the glue dots?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I fall into the ignore the wax dots camp here. It's never been an issue for me.
Me too except for the time when the glue dots fell down to the edge on those vintage brown box Polsilver blades. Then I had to do something about it because it did affect the shave quite noticeably. It was a group blade challenge and multiple participants had the same issue.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Me too except for the time when the glue dots fell down to the edge on those vintage brown box Polsilver blades. Then I had to do something about it because it did affect the shave quite noticeably. It was a group blade challenge and multiple participants had the same issue.
I would agree that migration is absolutely an issue if it occurs, but I believe that it's a separate issue from merely having the glue dots which are properly placed.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I would agree that migration is absolutely an issue if it occurs, but I believe that it's a separate issue from merely having the glue dots which are properly placed.
Agree 100%. But I was responding to a post that said they "ignore" the glue dots. Which means disregard completely and don't give them a single thought. Which is how I treated glue dots. But when I first got a large batch of those vintage Polish Polsilvers, they shaved badly. So I dismissed them as crap blades. Then we had that blade challenge pif, and I participated to give those blades another shot. When it was reported on that thread about the glue dots migrating down to the edge, I ran a fresh blade down through my cork to clean it up. That blade was great after that. Really great! So ignoring the glue dots almost caused me to dismiss an otherwise awesome blade. True story.

I've had some batches of blades that had the wax dots much bigger than others and spreading to the cutting edge. I guess, this happens when the blades have been transported/stored at high temperatures. This wax melts easily at temp. above 50 C and spreads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kix
The only problem I've ever had with the wax was in a TTO razor. Probably a SuperSpeed. When I unscrewed the razor, the wax stuck and the blade popped out of the razor. I'm not afraid of a blade or being cut and - in my profession, injuries are common.

From that point on, blades with wax are installed with the wax side down.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I HATE the wax dots. I stopped using Astra blades because of them. It caused blades to stick in my razors.

Reactions: Kix
I shave with really hot water. My razor heads are under a stream of hot water before they ever get to my face. I also rinse them with hot water a couple of times during each pass. After I shave, I disassemble my razor and further rinse each part and the blades under hot water. The wax dots are gone by that time.

On every blade I've ever seen with these dots, they are wax, not glue. Don't know where that notion comes from. I find them annoying when opening the blade and how the wax will transfer to the razor which requires more effort to clean. I often will lay the blade flat on my bathroom counter and use a wadded up tissue to wipe away the dots going from inside diagonally to outside so as not to risk a cut. I'm on a septic and well so I won't waste water trying to melt them off.

I don't like the wax glue spots, since it leaves this tacky, gunky residue on my razors after 3-4 blade changes.

Agreed. I just don’t want the wax on my beautiful razor.

When changing blades, I use the old blade to scrape the wax off the new one.

Reactions: CCS
I’ll usually rinse a new blade under hot running water to get rid of most of the wax spots, then use acetone nail polish remover to get the rest.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm brand new to DE razors and blades. I just wiped the wax off with a paper towel. I'm sure I didn't get it microscopically clean, but clean enough that it won't be leaving mass quantities of wax on my new-to-me FBT razor.

Reactions: CCS
I'm brand new to DE razors and blades. I just wiped the wax off with a paper towel. I'm sure I didn't get it microscopically clean, but clean enough that it won't be leaving mass quantities of wax on my new-to-me FBT razor.
That works.

Top Bottom