What's new

What's the difference?

After reading the reviews of all of the different C&E Shaving creams I have a question.

I notice the the sandalwood did not score as well as the others. The almond, sienna and nomad all scored very well. Of all the scents they offer the sandalwood is my favorite. Does the sandalwood really perform worse than the others? The ingredients all seem to be the same except for the scent. I would think they would all perform the same, they would just smell different.

The Scent is the only difference that i've noted... and I like the Sandalwood scent better than either the Nomad or Sienna... though, I like the Almond scent more than the sandalwood.

The Sweet Almond Oil cream has, well, sweet almond oil in it. But the scent is the only difference between the rest. I've found them all to work equally well.

Thanks for the replies, I like the scent of the almond in the jar, but I think it might be a bit too floral for me. I like the rest of their scents but I think the Sandalwood is definitely my favorite.

Jim,

I used the C&E SAO this morning. The scent in the jar is much more pronounced than once creamed with a brush. I did not detect any lasting cream scent and if there was, it was subtle at best.

I don't care for the C&E Sandalwood or for any other Sandalwood, for that matter, but the other C&E scents are very nice.

-joedy

Jim,
I've noticed this as well and I think there are two reasons why the C&E scores lower than it's colleagues:

1) Sandalwood appears to be a bit of an acquired taste for some recent converts. It is a strong scent and many gents do not care for strong scents of any kind. These folks tend to not care much for GFT violet either. These two scents have nothing in common other than the fact that they are fairly potent. I did not care for sandalwood to begin with but it is growing on me.

2) The other three C&E scents are singularly unique. Sandalwood can be had by pretty much any firm as it is a classic scent and many men simply prefer other makers. Nomad, Sweet Almond Oil and Sienna have no competitor products so they tend to be mentioned more often IMO. Plus, they are unique and wonderful in their own right.

I also suspect that a lot of guys use C&E sandalwood but just don't talk about it as much since the other three scents get more press for the above two reasons. I doubt there are many who pass on the sandalwood for performance reasons if the other three work for them.
Cheers,
Jeff

jmhAZ said:
1) Sandalwood appears to be a bit of an acquired taste for some recent converts. It is a strong scent and many gents do not care for strong scents of any kind. These folks tend to not care much for GFT violet either. These two scents have nothing in common other than the fact that they are fairly potent.

Jeff,

Interestingly enough, while I do not care for Sandalwood, I do enjoy the Trumper Violet. In fact, I purchased some this weekend.

I might be able to become used to the Sandalwood, but with so many other choices around, I don't think that I'll get around to endeavoring to do so!

-joedy

jmhAZ said:
Jim,
1) Sandalwood appears to be a bit of an acquired taste for some recent converts. It is a strong scent and many gents do not care for strong scents of any kind. These folks tend to not care much for GFT violet either. These two scents have nothing in common other than the fact that they are fairly potent. I did not care for sandalwood to begin with but it is growing on me.

I bought a tube of Trumper Sandalwood and wondered if I'd use it again on my first use, to me it smelled like a wet chewed match. But, as you say, it's an acquired taste and is now one of my favourites, so much so I also bought a Trumper's Sandalwood hard soap. The scent GFT Voilets reminds me so much of the Parma Violets sweets from my childhood I sometimes get the urge to whip some up for the sake of it.

So many soaps and only one face!

Yeah, I also am a huge fan of the Violet but from the strength of the floral scent I can understand why some are not. My initial introduction to Sandalwood (Talor's) did not go well. I didn't care for the scent at all and tossed it immediately. I have since picked up samples of other firm's versions and it is growing on me a bit. Joey's point about other, perfered options prettey much sums me up. Every time I reach for saldalwood I choose Sienna instead. That is not a trend I see changing any time soon. Sadly, this has also pretty much eliminated my GFT limes from the rotation since I received a nice sized sample of CF. The sharp, fresh CF lime scent is currently creaming the more subtle, sherbet note of the GFT. Too bad, the GFT is too nice to be neglected.
Cheers,
Jeff

Just a note. I may be going slightly off topic here.

But am I correct that Sandlewoods tend to differ a fair amount in scent? If so, is this because of other scents that are thrown into the mix, or using a frangrance oil rather than true sandlewood essential oil, or what?

For example, I love QED Sandlewood. The single best scent (to me) that I have come across in shaving. I recently got some GFT, though, and, while it is nice, it just wasn't the same. Much more muddy, and less woody. The QED (which I know is just sandlewood EO) is very very clear and woody to me, which the GFT just wasn't. I also tried another sandlewood soap, don't remember the name (not one I recognized - Charles threw it in with an order as a freebie, but disclaimed any recommendation of it). Likewise lacked clearness of the QED.

I tried Trumpers and C&E sandalwood creams, wasn't crazy about them, but IMO, Charles' EO Sandalwood is awesome. If that's what true sandalwood smells like, I LOVE IT! Smells nothing like the creams.

John

moses said:
Just a note. I may be going slightly off topic here.

But am I correct that Sandlewoods tend to differ a fair amount in scent? If so, is this because of other scents that are thrown into the mix, or using a frangrance oil rather than true sandlewood essential oil, or what?

For example, I love QED Sandlewood. The single best scent (to me) that I have come across in shaving. I recently got some GFT, though, and, while it is nice, it just wasn't the same. Much more muddy, and less woody. The QED (which I know is just sandlewood EO) is very very clear and woody to me, which the GFT just wasn't. I also tried another sandlewood soap, don't remember the name (not one I recognized - Charles threw it in with an order as a freebie, but disclaimed any recommendation of it). Likewise lacked clearness of the QED.
QED sandalwood is single note, Mysore Sandalwood Essential Oil and that is it! THe others are typically oleos with some using FOs..

Top Bottom