What's new

What's the difference between the Polsilver blades?

There's the one in a dark blue box which is the most common one.

Then there're also the brown and grey/blue boxes.

What are the differences between the three?

These are the ones I'm referring to.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_imagesFRDOVPLJ.jpg

I believe that you may have some Wizamet SI blades (second row) as well as Polsilver SI in different packages.

The Wizamet production was moved to Russia and became Polsilver as I recall. Some think the blades are the same. Others disagree.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Top two rows are discontinued Wizamet blades. The bottom row is what replaced them after production was transferred to Russia I've only used the current production version.

I have only used the ones on the bottom left. They vary from good to excellent in my experience, but because they vary I have yet to decide just how much I like them.

We're told the Wizamet Iridium Super and Russian Polsilver Super Iridium are the same down to being made on the same factory machinery that was moved from the Lodz plant to St. Petersburg. As for the brown box Stainless I don't know if they are different but they were the first favorite blade I found at the time when NOS was still being sold. As a result I tragically loaded up on a great quantity of them before the supply started to dry up, at a somewhat high price - then discovered the current production Russian blades are just as good.

We're told the Wizamet Iridium Super and Russian Polsilver Super Iridium are the same down to being made on the same factory machinery that was moved from the Lodz plant to St. Petersburg. As for the brown box Stainless I don't know if they are different but they were the first favorite blade I found at the time when NOS was still being sold. As a result I tragically loaded up on a great quantity of them before the supply started to dry up, at a somewhat high price - then discovered the current production Russian blades are just as good.

I saw some of the Wizamet blades on the bay awhile back going for very high prices. Could have been someone just fishing, but if there is indeed a market for the guys looking for unobtanium Wizamet’s, perhaps you could get some money back. Good to know they are essentially the same!

When the Polsilvers disappeared a few years ago, was this during the conversion and acquisition of Wizamet?

When the Polsilvers disappeared a few years ago, was this during the conversion and acquisition of Wizamet?

I'm not sure we ever got the answer on the disappearance. I think it could well have been a gap in production during the setup, or maybe just a window that distributors outside the normal Polsilver market area had trouble sourcing them. I will check the prices as time goes by. I think I bought my whole stash of Polsilver Stainless at about 60 cents a blade so I guess the tragedy isn't much worse than if I had fallen in love with KAIs or Merkur blades. Maybe one of these days I'll send a box to one of the blind blade shootout B&Bers to face off against Russian Super Iridium for the definitive comparison!

Top Bottom