What's new

What's the difference between AC club razors and injectors?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I know there is a difference in blade length (AC is longer than injector), and injectors are often (but not always) "injected" into their razor, while AC blades seem to be "placed" into the razor head. The extra blade length has been what turns me off of the blades, in general...so I've never tried an AC razor and can't speak to other differences. But I'm looking forward to hear what others have to say on these questions.

Ac blades are considerably longer, but otherwise, they’re similar. Blade source material is identical. A big long ribbon of steel. Considerably thicker than de. Different feel than a gem. Feels sharper to me.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I know there is a difference in blade length (AC is longer than injector), and injectors are often (but not always) "injected" into their razor, while AC blades seem to be "placed" into the razor head. The extra blade length has been what turns me off of the blades, in general...so I've never tried an AC razor and can't speak to other differences. But I'm looking forward to hear what others have to say on these questions.

This - I have and use both, but prefer the injector over the shavette blades because the length is handier for me. The GEMs are almost the same length as the injectors (a bit longer) and thinner. I think the GEM may be sharper due to the thinness, but I don't get as much longevity out of the GEMs.

Generally speaking the AC blade is the better blade by a good margin. They are probably the sharpest blade you can buy. They are a bit more expensive than DE blades but a blade generally lasts me around 30 shaves, so the longevity is there making the cost per shave a bit more reasonable.

I have yet to get a great shave from an injector razor as the blades seem to be the weak point for me.

As far as the GEM style razors go the Blackland Sabre is a really great razor. The Personna PTFE blades are a great choice for it as well. I did like this one quite a bit.

I've heard a lot of people say the AC blades are better. Kind of makes me sad America can't produce good quality sharp blades that can compete in the global market. Is there a limitation to the injector style blade? Why isn't anybody trying to make sharper, better lasting one.

I've heard a lot of people say the AC blades are better. Kind of makes me sad America can't produce good quality sharp blades that can compete in the global market. Is there a limitation to the injector style blade? Why isn't anybody trying to make sharper, better lasting one.

Probably not enough money in it to make it worth doing as the market is fairly small for injectors.

Generally speaking the AC blade is the better blade by a good margin. They are probably the sharpest blade you can buy. They are a bit more expensive than DE blades but a blade generally lasts me around 30 shaves, so the longevity is there making the cost per shave a bit more reasonable.

I have yet to get a great shave from an injector razor as the blades seem to be the weak point for me.

As far as the GEM style razors go the Blackland Sabre is a really great razor. The Personna PTFE blades are a great choice for it as well. I did like this one quite a bit.
They are only sharper because of Feather specification for their branded blades, not because of the format. I don't think Schick AC blades are better or sharper than their injector blades. Feather and Kai don't market injector blades AFAIK so no comparison can be made there.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Injector blade dates to 1926. AC blade is derivative.

And Schick proline B-20 are Schick copying Feathers copying Schick then? Was there any American involvement in the history of the AC blade?

And do any regular injectors take the Prolines?

And Schick proline B-20 are Schick copying Feathers copying Schick then? Was there any American involvement in the history of the AC blade?

And do any regular injectors take the Prolines?
As far as I know the AC format started with Feather with Kai and Schick Japan following but I welcome any info suggesting otherwise.

The B-20 are intended for Proline shavette style razors rather than injectors (they don't inject). I believe some folks do put them in Personna/Schick injector magazines, I hand load them in my Schicks and PAL (and Enders Speed). There are some fitment problems in some vintage razors due to the non square corners of the B20 Prolines.

Last edited:
As far as I know the AC format started with Feather with Kai and Schick Japan following but I welcome any info suggesting otherwise.

The B-20 are intended for Proline shavette style razors rather than injectors (they don't inject). I believe some folks do put them in Personna/Schick injector magazines, I hand load them in my Schicks and PAL (and Enders Speed). There are some fitment problems in some vintage razors due to the non square corners of the B20 Prolines.

Very interesting. I tried a Schick injector a few days ago and was surprised with how maneuverable it was. If somebody could make injector blades as sharp and long lasting as AC blades for Schick injectors that would be a real winner in my book. Were injector blades better at one time and just a reflection of the decline of US manufacturing as a whole?

Will that ever change? Is SE shaving getting any popular?

In terms of SE razors they are a very small percentage of the population. Artist Club style razors have become fairly popular but nowhere near where de razors are and de razors are a very, very small percentage of the shaving market when compared to carts. Still they do have a following and they are quite nice to use. GEM and Injector style razors are likely a much smaller percentage of the market. The Artist Club blades are truly exceptional. The GEM PTFE blades are quite nice as well. Personally, I don't see injectors coming back to the point where there will be a bunch of manufacturers putting out a ton of money to make a new better version blade for them. There is just no market for it.

I have cut an AC blade down using a Dremel tool with a cutoff blade and it worked well in an injector. Just too much effort to do this on a regular basis but it was a good experiment.

Very interesting. I tried a Schick injector a few days ago and was surprised with how maneuverable it was. If somebody could make injector blades as sharp and long lasting as AC blades for Schick injectors that would be a real winner in my book. Were injector blades better at one time and just a reflection of the decline of US manufacturing as a whole?
I have never had any issues with injector blades being sharp enough. Perfectly satisfied with my B20s. I use them in my Enders Speed and it is as efficient as any AC razor I have used, comparable to the ATT SE1 but way more nimble.

Last edited:
I have never had any issues with injector blades being sharp enough. Perfectly satisfied with my B20s. I use them in my Enders Speed and it is as efficient as any AC razor I have used, comparable to the ATT SE1 but way more nimble.

I thought the B20 was an AC blade. Does it fit regular injectors too?

I hesitated before getting an AC razor because of the length of the blades, but once I did (with a cheap Razorock Hawk V1) I didn't find it to be an issue at all. A very minor adaptation of injector/DE technique is all that's required, then the sharpness, rigidity and longevity off the AC blades shine through.
To me, Kai, Feather and Proline P-30 AC blades are all very good, and it's a bonus that there is some variation in their thickness and depth from front to back, which means some of them work better in one razor than another.
I would like to know more about which coatings are used on different blades, but that would just be to satisfy my inquisitive nature.
The Chinese Schick injector blades are also excellent, and last a long time, but I just prefer the AC format.

Top Bottom