What's new

What's the difference between AC club razors and injectors?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
As far as I know the AC format started with Feather with Kai and Schick Japan following but I welcome any info suggesting otherwise.

The B-20 are intended for Proline shavette style razors rather than injectors (they don't inject). I believe some folks do put them in Personna/Schick injector magazines, I hand load them in my Schicks and PAL (and Enders Speed). There are some fitment problems in some vintage razors due to the non square corners of the B20 Prolines.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
I thought the B20 was an AC blade. Does it fit regular injectors too?
Lots of info and discussion in this thread, but I'll admit it can be a bit confusing. Here's the synopsis:
  1. As @jmudrick pointed out, the B20 Prolines are pretty-much "injector-sized" and the B30 Prolines are the AC blades.

2. There are slight physical differences in the B20's (i.e., rounded corners) compared to the Schick injector blades, and the B20's come in a similar container, but it does not have an injector key attached.
  3. You can (and some of us do) hand-load the B20 blades into our vintage Schicks injector razors, or you can load them into a near-empty Schick keyed-container. The hand-loading is done using a pair of pliers and carefully pushing them into the vintage Schick injector razors -- it's not as difficult or scary as it may sound. The B20s can be loaded into the Schick keyed-container, and there are threads on doing that....I've never tried it.
  4. As for quality, I like both blades -- the B20's feel a touch smoother to me than the Chinese Schicks, but I get double-digit shaves out of both.
I hope that helps -- or perhaps I'm answering a question or clearing up something that was already clear . :001_smile

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Very interesting. I tried a Schick injector a few days ago and was surprised with how maneuverable it was. If somebody could make injector blades as sharp and long lasting as AC blades for Schick injectors that would be a real winner in my book. Were injector blades better at one time and just a reflection of the decline of US manufacturing as a whole?

The old timey Plus Plats and Personna 74's were better .. though I don't find the shavette blades any sharper than modern Schicks. There's more of an assortment of the shavette blades, maybe as a result of their original use as a beauty shop tool.

The old timey Plus Plats and Personna 74's were better .. though I don't find the shavette blades any sharper than modern Schicks. There's more of an assortment of the shavette blades, maybe as a result of their original use as a beauty shop tool.
I agree the Plus Plats were very good. Used mine up.

Lots of info and discussion in this thread, but I'll admit it can be a bit confusing. Here's the synopsis:
  1. As @jmudrick pointed out, the B20 Prolines are pretty-much "injector-sized" and the B30 Prolines are the AC blades.

2. There are slight physical differences in the B20's (i.e., rounded corners) compared to the Schick injector blades, and the B20's come in a similar container, but it does not have an injector key attached.
  3. You can (and some of us do) hand-load the B20 blades into our vintage Schicks injector razors, or you can load them into a near-empty Schick keyed-container. The hand-loading is done using a pair of pliers and carefully pushing them into the vintage Schick injector razors -- it's not as difficult or scary as it may sound. The B20s can be loaded into the Schick keyed-container, and there are threads on doing that....I've never tried it.
  4. As for quality, I like both blades -- the B20's feel a touch smoother to me than the Chinese Schicks, but I get double-digit shaves out of both.
I hope that helps -- or perhaps I'm answering a question or clearing up something that was already clear . :001_smile

That clears it up. One final question before I let this thread die.

OneBlade also uses Feather SE blades but they don't look like AC clubs or GEMS. Are these something else?

OneBlade also uses Feather SE blades but they don't look like AC clubs or GEMS. Are these something else?
Something else. In terms of dimension they are like Gem blades without a spine.

Something else. In terms of dimension they are like Gem blades without a spine.

So Gems have a Japanese derivative too lol. These manufacturers are just trying to confuse people and make as much proprietary **** as possible.

So Gems have a Japanese derivative too lol. These manufacturers are just trying to confuse people and make as much proprietary **** as possible.
Haha well there's always more..the Feather blade is virtually identical to the very American and very old Valet Auto-Strop blade from the 20s [emoji2]

Last edited:
I will just respectfully disagree about the "AC blades are better than injector blades" part. I use both, and I think injectors are just as good, and Schick/Pal Injector razors shave just as well. Personna GEM blades in coated stainless steel are also good and the classic GEM razors, from say, 1912 to Micromatic to Push-Button and Featherweight are all great shavers.

The only SE blades I don't care for are Feather FHS blades. They are expensive and they don't last long. Modified GEM blades are simply better.

The blades that the OneBlade uses are GEM style blades with the spine removed and another small modification (some notches). They made them proprietary so that they could charge a bit more for them. Initially you could buy them from other sellers, besides OneBlade (for a lower price) but they shut that down pretty quick.

The blades that the OneBlade uses are GEM style blades with the spine removed and another small modification (some notches). They made them proprietary so that they could charge a bit more for them. Initially you could buy them from other sellers, besides OneBlade (for a lower price) but they shut that down pretty quick.
They are actually tweaked Valet Auto-strop blades per my comment above.
proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

This illustrates two of the problems with the OneBlade. First, of course, is that only, ahem, One Blade is available. Second, that the OneBlade company sought to completely control the supply of the Feather Blades, which were developed prior to OneBlade's appearance.

I know I used them in an Autostrop way before OneBlade

Top Bottom