What's new

What's the Difference Between a Clydesdale 126 and 129?

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Both are shell strops but in a old thread I read that the 126 was not as desirable as the 129. Is Clydesdale shell any different or thicker than regular horse shell?

I have a 129 Clydesdale by Certifyd.
It is a fairly thin Shell strop, I believe the 129A is a heavier pattern from many I have seen online but not 100% sure.
The 126 I have heard is thin as well but again can only speak for what's been in my hands.
I don't believe because it is from Clydesdales it would be any thicker, larger perhaps, but not thicker.
Big animals!

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Thank you stone and strop. My barber has a neglected 129A hanging on his chair purely for decoration. It bothers me to no end. Wanted to find out what I could about the brand. Clydesdale really peaked my interest.

I wasn't too impressed with the 129 but as a rule Certifyd made fine strops.
I would inquire about the 129A anyway. If he doesn't mind, ask if you can examine and feel it.
Let me know if it is a decent thickness similar to other quality strops.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I have 3 samples of shell strops at hand. Koken: tapers .100" to .120", Barber College: .090", Schweitzer: .100" My barbers Clydesdale 129A: tapers .125" top to over .187 on the bottom. Cheese and mice! Seems quite stiff, not rubbery like my Koken. Just scored one on the bay and it's on it's way!!

Top Bottom