What's new

What's the difference between a bath soap and pre-shave soap?

Shaving soap of course has properties that are very different to bath soap but I'm wondering what the difference between bath soap and pre shave soap is?

I assume pre shave soaps are also used to cleanse the skin of dirt/oil/dead skin etc so I don't quite understand the difference.

Shaving soap of course has properties that are very different to bath soap but I'm wondering what the difference between bath soap and pre shave soap is?

I assume pre shave soaps are also used to cleanse the skin of dirt/oil/dead skin etc so I don't quite understand the difference.

Pre-shave soap is a glycerin based soap. It is left on before lathering. Then when lathering, it creates a particularly slick lather. Most types of glycerin soap will work for this - shaving or bath. Some people add liquid glycerin to lathering bowls creating super-lather for a similar effect.

There are face cleansing products that might have a similar (or same) type of name as well.

Pre-shave soap is a glycerin based soap. It is left on before lathering. Then when lathering, it creates a particularly slick lather. Most types of glycerin soap will work for this - shaving or bath. Some people add liquid glycerin to lathering bowls creating super-lather for a similar effect.

There are face cleansing products that might have a similar (or same) type of name as well.

Many of the artisan pre shave bars are not glycerin soap (they have glycerin as all good soaps do but not a glycerin base).

That's what triggered my curiosity.

Many of the artisan pre shave bars are not glycerin soap (they have glycerin as all good soaps do but not a glycerin base).

That's what triggered my curiosity.

After checking a few, they seem to be able to used as both a facial cleaner and as I described to slicken the lather. I was familiar with glycerin based ones, but other types might work as well. I have used some non-glycerin artisan shave soaps that don't build sustaining lather but were particularly slick that way.

After checking a few, they seem to be able to used as both a facial cleaner and as I described to slicken the lather. I was familiar with glycerin based ones, but other types might work as well. I have used some non-glycerin artisan shave soaps that don't build sustaining lather but were particularly slick that way.

I always wash off the pre shave soap lather as I mostly find it thins out the shaving soap lather.

I don't look for extra glide as shaving soap with sufficient water is more than enough but I have noticed cleansing beforehand does help the shave.

I always wash off the pre shave soap lather as I mostly find it thins out the shaving soap lather.

I don't look for extra glide as shaving soap with sufficient water is more than enough but I have noticed cleansing beforehand does help the shave.

Had to do something with soap I gambled on, and lost. :)

I mostly broke in boars with the soaps that didn't lather well.

One thing to keep in mind is bath soaps usually strip the skin from its naturals oils due to the fact that their purpose is to clean, something you don't want to happen before a shave as your natural oils are there to protect your skin, therefore pre-shave soaps are more of a skin nourishment (or should be) and help hydrating the whiskers, as for cleaning your face before shave then a splash of water will suffice, but thats just my humble opinion.

Preshave soaps, IMHO, are largely transparent glycerin soaps!!
Great preshave conditioning!!

glycerin soaps.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Send me $30 and I'll send you a proper pre-shave soap :)

IMHO, ANY soap you use on your skin is perfectly fine as a pre-shave soap.

One thing to keep in mind is bath soaps usually strip the skin from its naturals oils due to the fact that their purpose is to clean, something you don't want to happen before a shave as your natural oils are there to protect your skin, therefore pre-shave soaps are more of a skin nourishment (or should be) and help hydrating the whiskers, as for cleaning your face before shave then a splash of water will suffice, but thats just my humble opinion.

I'm comparing good quality bath soap to pre shave soap, not commercial drying bath soap.

Let's say Stirling for example. Their bath soap is excellent and quite nourishing so I'm wondering how the pre shave soap is different, for skin and for pre shave action.

It all depends upon the formulation of the soap.

Proper beard preparation before the shave requires that oils be removed from the beard so that moisture can penetrate the hair follicles causing the hair to swell in diameter and reduce tensile strength. This makes it easier to shave the hair. Thus, you want the beard to be clean and hydrated without leaving the face dry.

I do this by showering before I shave. I use the same shampoo and conditioner on my face and beard that I use on my hair. Professional barbers clean and hydrate the beard using lather and hot towels. Any method that leaves the beard well prepared for the shave is acceptable.

It all depends upon the formulation of the soap.

Proper beard preparation before the shave requires that oils be removed from the beard so that moisture can penetrate the hair follicles causing the hair to swell in diameter and reduce tensile strength. This makes it easier to shave the hair. Thus, you want the beard to be clean and hydrated without leaving the face dry.

I do this by showering before I shave. I use the same shampoo and conditioner on my face and beard that I use on my hair. Professional barbers clean and hydrate the beard using lather and hot towels. Any method that leaves the beard well prepared for the shave is acceptable.

Top Bottom