What's new

What's the current state of Old Spice?

Since when? Love the soap was thinking on ordering more of it and maybe the aftershave too any reason to why it's getting discontinued
In an email he told me that the price of fragrance used to make it increased. He is going to try to find another supplier and perhaps continue with the production. Who knows if the new stuff is going to have exactly the same scent and strength.

In an email he told me that the price of fragrance used to make it increased. He is going to try to find another supplier and perhaps continue with the production. Who knows if the new stuff is going to have exactly the same scent and strength.
Ah yeah understandable with everything going up I love the soaps and aftershaves was thinking on ordering some also nice guy tho I've ordered things from him before hope it works out for him

Ah yeah understandable with everything going up I love the soaps and aftershaves was thinking on ordering some also nice guy tho I've ordered things from him before hope it works out for him

He didn't mention problems with any of the other scents he offers, so hopefully the issue is limited to only this fragrance.

I asked him about raising the price of Stirling Spice, but he said he wanted to keep prices the way they are right now. Props to him for that.

He didn't mention problems with any of the other scents he offers, so hopefully the issue is limited to only this fragrance.

I asked him about raising the price of Stirling Spice, but he said he wanted to keep prices the way they are right now. Props to him for that.
Yeah any other scents you recommed got pretty good some of samples thinking about trying out the boar don't know if it would replace my omega 80266 brush I do have the 2 band yaqi brush from Stirling love it

I have heard the price of some fragrance ingredients has doubled. It is only a matter of time before those cost increases are passed on .

I really wonder what different kinds of Old Spice are sold within the various EU nations.

It's not only if a different formula is used, it already starts with availability of some scents. Slugger and Swagger e.g. are hard to get for me, an I quite like Swagger.

There are a quite some particular scents that are hard to get. The UK seems to get he most variety, but even without it, the EU has quite a range of availability and different scents. Right now I can get more than just Old Spice Original and Captain only from Amazon and few other sources.

I know this is an old post, but I'm thinking about picking up some Old Spice Slugger and Swagger - what's the difference between the two? I'm really interested in the Old Spice aftershaves available outside the US.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that once a bottle of aftershave, etc. is opened, things change over time. I currently have five bottles of vintage Shulton era Old Spice and there's no mistaking them but each smells slightly different from each other. I think he's right. There is no way a 30-60 year old bottle of Old Spice smells like it did the day it was sold even if it's never been opened. IMO, of course.

I took a chance on an ebay auction the other day for a claimed boxed set of after shave and cologne. It will arrive next week and I will be most curious to compare it to bottles that I know are original content. I tried two or three clones in years past and didn't care for them. And the new stuff is so weak that it's not worth the money to me.

I was given a partially used bottle (the old white glass decanter) of Old Spice, and it has a pretty strong rose component that I don't recall smelling as a 20 something. My Vijon spice is much nicer.
Also, I'm starting to prefer Avon Spicy to their Brisk Spice - the Spicy just seems to hit that note better to my older nose. JMHO of course

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that once a bottle of aftershave, etc. is opened, things change over time. I currently have five bottles of vintage Shulton era Old Spice and there's no mistaking them but each smells slightly different from each other. I think he's right. There is no way a 30-60 year old bottle of Old Spice smells like it did the day it was sold even if it's never been opened. IMO, of course.

I took a chance on an ebay auction the other day for a claimed boxed set of after shave and cologne. It will arrive next week and I will be most curious to compare it to bottles that I know are original content. I tried two or three clones in years past and didn't care for them. And the new stuff is so weak that it's not worth the money to me.
I got the bottles in their original gift box and both smell like an old bottle of Shulton Old Spice aftershave and cologne should. My best guess is this set was from the mid to late 60's. Only $32 shipped with pretty much full bottles. All of it looked almost NOS. It's still out there for reasonable prices. I won the auction with a bid of $20.50, the rest was shipping and sales tax.

I have many vintage OS bottles. They smell exactly the same to me. Many were unopened sets but some were mostly full bottles from respectable sellers. I don’t see any issues with buying vintage carefully. It just better….

I do like the current version. The Vijohn is nice as well. The vintage is heavenly!

Nothing tops the vintage IMHO! I am currently using the Italian ‘original’ and I would go vintage any day!
I tried most, if not all, of the clones as well as the modern stuff. IMO? None of it competes with the old original even though time has to have affected the fragrance in some way or another. I think I have enough now to last the rest of my days. More, if those days are fewer than I hope for!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I tried most, if not all, of the clones as well as the modern stuff. IMO? None of it competes with the old original even though time has to have affected the fragrance in some way or another. I think I have enough now to last the rest of my days. More, if those days are fewer than I hope for!

Good post. I can’t prove it, but imo age does seem to have a positive effect on many aftershaves and not just the 8th wonder of the world that is Shulton’s Old Spice.

I think with the vintage Shulton, as some of the water and/or alcohol evaporate’s, the remaining ingredients darken or carmelize? Which seems to me, makes it smoother, darker and richer.

I notice the same refining finish with some of the splashes in my Bootlegger’s Series, where ageing seems to have a positive effect. Especially my Bay Rum and EL Dorado.

Maybe not to the same extent as the Shulton because of the decades, but definitely a discernible difference for the better just due to ageing.

Top Bottom