What's new

What’s the consensus on body wash?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
My pump soap has Aloe Vera in it. It is for the hands, and my hands don’t get chaffed.

I've been a bar soap guy my whole life, but I switched over to body wash about six months ago. My wife bought me these super manly (i.e., black) exfoliating gloves that I use with the body wash, and I get a great lather and I feel cleaner and more moisturized compared to bar soap.

I think people keep forgetting that the human body is capable of defending itself against bacteria, infections, etc. In fact, I believe it has been shown that exposing the body to minor levels of bacteria helps to boost a healthy immune system. If you rinse off the soap and empty the soap sludge that accumulates in a soap dish, little if any bacteria will grow, especially if the soap is allowed to dry in between uses. And any bacteria that may grow on it as you suggest is actually probably good for you, unless you have an already compromised immune system. And I believe you meant to say that soap reduces surface "tension". I will continue to use my bar soap as my primary cleansing agent and will only use body wash as a final moisturizing step at the end of my shower. I'll take the minor amounts of bacteria that may exist on my bar of soap as a means of staying healthy. And I would bet that a large container of body wash can also harbor bacteria that would grow inside once the container is opened. There is bacteria in the air we breath. So it stands to reason bacteria would get into the container of body wash. And as I think about this topic, the minor amounts of bacteria we are talking about here makes the subject ridiculous.

Traditional bar soap is usually bacteriostatic if it contains chelating agents.

I usually use body wash, just because more sensitive-skin options are available and it tends to be easier to clean up (less soap scum). But lately I've been using CVS's clone of Dove, and it works just fine.

I bounce back and forth between bar and liquid. At home, I'm currently using the Mrs. Miers Oat blossom. Mild unisex scent, and quite hydrating. I find that a little bit goes a long way

I use bar soap with a washcloth everywhere I can reach. Body wash on the loofa on a stick for my back. No other reason than it’s just easier to get body wash on the loofa than bar soap.

Can't use the bath and body wash stuff any more.. they linger too long, and seem to really dry my skin out.

Been using Stirling bar soap for a while now, as well as the liquid body soaps they make. I really enjoy them, & they seem to last a long time.

Stirling points out in their website that natural ingredients are used in theirs & that most body washes aren't actually "soaps", they're classified as synthetic detergents, and that's why they don't say "body soap" on bottles of "body wash".

Can't use the bath and body wash stuff any more.. they linger too long

I agree with this. I can’t remember what I wrote earlier in this thread, but I find bodywash to feel ‘sticky’ on the skin. I don’t feel them drying though, but the stickiness is definitely a put off.

I'll use a moisturizing body wash in the winter to help with dry skin. I usually like the Dove for Men Minerals and Sage or Blue Eucalyptus and Birch scents. I'll typically use a bar the rest of the year.

Top Bottom