What's new

What’s the consensus on body wash?

I use both, body wash most days (usually L'Occitane or Molton Brown) and then a bar soap that is more like a body scrub (Baxters of California) 2 days a week.

If we're talking shower I favor bar soaps. I keep two in the shower, a Grandpa or Packers pine tar for hair and face, and either a pine tar or Stirling soap for body. As pine tar is not very moisturizing, I keep a squeeze bottle of Aveeno unscented skin relief body wash in the shower for occasional use. When I'm using pine tar for a body soap, and feel a need for some moisturizing, I'll first load the washcloth with pine tar and squirt some Aveeno onto it. Using both bar and pump might be an option for you.

Me lovely wife has pump hand soaps in both baths and the kitchen. I HATE the feel of pump soap. With Covid and frequent hand washing she has graciously allowed me, God bless her little pea-picking heart, to keep a bar of Stirling Rosemary Mint on our main bathroom counter for my frequent hand washing. However, my bar of pine tar soap in the guest bath, even with no guests in over 3 months, must stay hidden in a counter drawer. At least I have access to a bar soap when she's in our main bath. I'm still not allowed a bar soap on the kitchen counter, but thankfully that pump soap is unscented. I rarely use it unless I'm cooking chicken and need a quick hand wash.

I was always a bar soap guy then started using the same Olay body wash my wife uses... did that for several years but ya know what? I like bar soap more and went back to it and currently loving loving loving PdP Milk soap. (I do use a pump bottle of tea tree oil soap to keep "the kids" clean tho..)

I have tried body wash a few times and it's not for me. Seems like you use a lot and the bottle won't last long. I use Tom's Maine most of the time.

I am allergic to Sodium laureth sulfate, so it's either bar soap or Savon de Marseille liquide which is SLS free and made with coconut oil.

Primarily a bar soap user. We buy the kirkland brand citrus bodywash for the women in the house, but it has a fresh citrus scent happening. It doesn’t have too many nasty ingredients. No parabens, sulfates, etc. But most importantly, my youngest daughter’s skin gets along with it. So in my eyes, that’s a win.

I used bar soap for years then switched to Nivea bath washes for several years. For the last couple months I have been using Stirling’s Sharp Dressed Man liquid bath soap and I love it. Great lather and moisturizes better than any of the Nivea washes. For a change I have tried Stirling’s bar soaps and enjoy them too, but they don’t last as long as the liquid soaps.

I got hooked on body washes when you could still afford Vitabath Green. I have used Every Man Jack and Irish Spring with good results. I find body washes are cleaner for the shower and a bit more moisturizing.

I have tried body wash a few times and really didn’t like it at all.

Mostly I use bar soap but I do like the Dr Bronner liquid soap, peppermint and almond are the ones we use.

I don't mind bar soap but the lady of the house hates it , especially if it is tallow based,since it produces a lot of scum that is very difficult to clean (it also clogs the hell out of the drain).
Body wash it is for the Razorcan household.
There are so many choices and it is way cheaper than bar soap too (a huge 700 ml bottle of BW costs 2 EUR while the cheapest 100 gr bar of soap 1 EUR)
Helps with the bathroom clutter too since it doubles up as a shampoo too .

I am in Europe so FA or Nivea or DM or Pettit Marseilles are my go too ones.

Big fan of bar soap; but I'm a big fan of bars in general. Like butter. Butter is just better in bar form, granola too. In fact I'd like it if everything came in bar form, not just soap and food. Take hedge clippers for example. Better in bar form. Pants? Undeniably better in bar form. It works with anything, really.

When I was in college 200 years ago, a lot of guys stole the Lava soap out of the mechanical drawing lab and used it as a body soap. Anybody here using Lava?

Now as an elderly man, I have a good many skin problems. I use Vanicream, approved by the Eczema Institute. I recommend it, at least for those who find Lava and gasoline a trifle harsh.

I really disliked all of the body washes I have tried. They take forever to wash off.

I use Pre de Provence bar soaps when I find them on sale or buy fancy smanchy local artisan soaps at farmers markets and the like. I also love Old Spice foam soap. The one in the aluminum mousse style container. I stocked up huge when it was discontinued a year ago or so.

Aleppo 50% (Laurel Oil) bar soap for me:
Aleppo50%.jpg

To me, it smells like dirt (or soil, for us here in the UK [speaking English English]). I've been using only Aleppo for the past 3 weeks (hands, face, bath, and shampoo) and it's working wonders for my (previously) dry skin. The somewhat unusual scent has grown on me too.

For anyone who's interested, here's some info about it from the supplier I purchased from:
What Is Aleppo Soap?

I really disliked all of the body washes I have tried. They take forever to wash off.

I’ve found this to be true of body washes and anti bacterial hand wash.
I use Black Seed Soap and Shampoo Bar for hair and face. Dr Bronner’s Castile for body, and a pure liquid soap for hand washing during the day.

Top Bottom