What's new

What's the best way to open a tuck of blades?

Maybe it's a dumb question, but is there a "right" way to open a tuck? If I tear the box open starting from the slit on the back, the tab that's left doesn't always fit back in properly. Now all the blades can slide out into a jumbled mess in my ziplock bag of blades. With Voskhod's in the bottom picture that tab comes right off so you can't seal the box at all.

I've found that bending the box back from the slit and tearing through the thickness works pretty well, as shown in the top box and the closeup.

Anybody have another way to do it?

IMG_E5811.JPG
IMG_E5812.JPG

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A piece of scotch tape will hold the blades in the tuck. My blades are all jumbled in a Tupperware anyway so I don’t worry about it. No tucks here.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't leave the remaining blades in the pack, so it doesn't matter how I open it.

All my loose blades go in a little Tupperware container in the bathroom, and every so often, I'll add the contents of another pack, and dump the empty box. This ensures I always have a small selection to hand.

I only tend to do this with blades in the cardboard packs though. I tend to leave the ones in the plastic packs alone. This is in case I need to grab a pack for travel, so I always have a safe means of disposal for the used blade, via the slit on the back of the box.

I always felt dumb for not figuring this out, in fact, I still don't know, I open it like in the middle one in the left pic.

Is it possible that the slit exists to somehow slide used blades back in?

The design really confuses me.

You don't have to remove any of the cardboard, just pull back a little flap there where the package has a slit. You can just flatten that end of the cardboard package and the flap will stay shut. I keep open tucks in an old soap container. This way the blades won't fall out of their package.

I don't leave the remaining blades in the pack, so it doesn't matter how I open it.

All my loose blades go in a little Tupperware container in the bathroom, and every so often, I'll add the contents of another pack, and dump the empty box. This ensures I always have a small selection to hand.

I only tend to do this with blades in the cardboard packs though. I tend to leave the ones in the plastic packs alone. This is in case I need to grab a pack for travel, so I always have a safe means of disposal for the used blade, via the slit on the back of the box.
Same, but I keep my loose blades from paper tucks in an empty soap container. Ones in plastic stay in plastic until the tuck is empty.

We really much be running out of new thread topics! 🤪

Maybe it's a dumb question, but is there a "right" way to open a tuck?
Yes:
Blade-Pack-Opening-Instructions_2021-11-23.jpg

Like so:
Blade-Pack-Opening_2021-11-23.jpg

Which sometimes works out great, but more often than not... not so great (if you are a tidiness and detail freak).

Let me just have a swig of my favorite medicine before continuing:
OCD-Enhancer.jpg

Anybody have another way to do it?
Here's my "detail freak" special method:

Using a stationery scalpel, carefully separate the glued end flaps (just one end of course :wink2:):
Blade-Pack-Opening-1_2021-11-23.jpg

Fold the flaps out and remove your blade:
Blade-Pack-Opening-2_2021-11-23.jpg

Fold the flaps back and return the pack into its container (along with its friends :biggrin:):
Blade-Pack-Opening-3_2021-11-23.jpg

Yes:
View attachment 1367291

Like so:
View attachment 1367294

Which sometimes works out great, but more often than not... not so great (if you are a tidiness and detail freak).

Let me just have a swig of my favorite medicine before continuing:
View attachment 1367297

Here's my "detail freak" special method:

Using a stationery scalpel, carefully separate the glued end flaps (just one end of course :wink2:):
View attachment 1367299

Fold the flaps out and remove your blade:
View attachment 1367301

Fold the flaps back and return the pack into its container (along with its friends :biggrin:):
View attachment 1367303
That container looks as though it is made for blades! Where did you find it?

I probably have 4-5 packs of blades, opened in different ways, standing upright in an old spice cup. I keep a small container of pulverized alum block in the center (for cuts/weepers), so the boxes don't fall over. The hardest part is remembering which blade is which. Red box and UK Personna, and Astra SP are easy enough, but Gillette Silver Blue, and two different Gillette platinums get confusing at times. I finished off the blues last shave, so now it's down to the 2 platinums,

Last edited:
Top Bottom