What's new

What's the best way to open a tuck of blades?

Despite all the solutions proposed here, there is only one valid solution.
It is to have a beaver to open the blade boxes 🦫 :biggrin:

On My Way Lol GIF by Oregon Zoo

Well, I've tried yelling at the tuck. Then throwing it. Then gnawing at it with my teeth. That did the job, but it left the tuck torn.

The best way I've found is to tear it open gently at the scored line, then use the first blade.

I don't worry about what the packaging (the tuck) looks like, as long as the blades are in the right tuck.

After using my dog’s ear to strop my SR. I enjoy using chopsticks to open new tucks and load my razor, this mental and manual exercise preps me for holding a my razor at the exact perfect angle for a bbs shave every time. Don‘t follow any of my stupid advice, if you do…I hope you‘re wearing Velcro sandals with white socks. Happy shaves to all, even those who are struggling to open a tuck correctly.😂🤣😅

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I often open a tuck with my feet. I have built up a callous doing it. Sorry no pics. No one needs tp see that.

After using my dog’s ear to strop my SR. I enjoy using chopsticks to open new tucks and load my razor, this mental and manual exercise preps me for holding a my razor at the exact perfect angle for a bbs shave every time. Don‘t follow any of my stupid advice, if you do…I hope you‘re wearing Velcro sandals with white socks. Happy shaves to all, even those who are struggling to open a tuck correctly.😂🤣😅
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!!!!

LOL, you two. I guess this thread isn't that old, but still.

🤣🤣🤣🤣💈💈💈

The only real upside to carefully opening your cardboard tuck, is that when some Ebay seller finds them at an estate sale in the year 3017 they can say:

Vintage blades in original box. Due to great care, the box has been opened but not molested, and in astoundingly great condition!

The only real upside to carefully opening your cardboard tuck, is that when some Ebay seller finds them at an estate sale in the year 3017 they can say:

Vintage blades in original box. Due to great care, the box has been opened but not molested, and in astoundingly great condition!
Life is too short, just open the tuck and load the razor. Kinda like fretting over your handle leaving a mark where it contacts the razor head…nobody but another collector cares. Your prized razor will likely end up on at a flea market table or in the trash dump when you die. Nobody except us here give two ****s about a razor. My wife already said my stuff is headed to the garage bin, because she’s not picking through anything.

Life is too short, just open the tuck and load the razor. Kinda like fretting over your handle leaving a mark where it contacts the razor head…nobody but another collector cares. Your prized razor will likely end up on at a flea market table or in the trash dump when you die. Nobody except us here give two ****s about a razor. My wife already said my stuff is headed to the garage bin, because she’s not picking through anything.
100%

That's what I've been thinking too. I've been collecting razors for a couple of years now and I have a feeling that when I kick the bucket one day, everything is either going to end up in the bin or sold for next to nothing to some greedy goblin that's going to brag about it on the internet and then (probably) sell them for as much as he can possible can to another collector.

I've been planning to stop collecting razors for a while now and I ''think'' I'm getting closer and closer to achieve that within a year or so and then I'm pretty much done. At some point when I get old, I'm going to keep 1-3 razors and sell everything else I own to someone much younger than me so he can enjoy them as much as he likes.

Maybe it's a dumb question, but is there a "right" way to open a tuck? If I tear the box open starting from the slit on the back, the tab that's left doesn't always fit back in properly. Now all the blades can slide out into a jumbled mess in my ziplock bag of blades. With Voskhod's in the bottom picture that tab comes right off so you can't seal the box at all.

I've found that bending the box back from the slit and tearing through the thickness works pretty well, as shown in the top box and the closeup.

Anybody have another way to do it?

View attachment 1367124 View attachment 1367125
This always works best for me. Hope this helps!
1650582804666.png

Top Bottom