What's new

What's the best way to open a tuck of blades?

Maybe it's a dumb question, but is there a "right" way to open a tuck? If I tear the box open starting from the slit on the back, the tab that's left doesn't always fit back in properly. Now all the blades can slide out into a jumbled mess in my ziplock bag of blades. With Voskhod's in the bottom picture that tab comes right off so you can't seal the box at all.

I've found that bending the box back from the slit and tearing through the thickness works pretty well, as shown in the top box and the closeup.

Anybody have another way to do it?

View attachment 1367124 View attachment 1367125
Really no right way. Varies based on manufacturer per container design. Open my Astra tucks just like your tuck of P&G blades on the right per the package design. For my Dorco cardboard tucks the package presents two options, a slit similar to the Astras or a horizontal flap - I use the later as it closes back up. For plastic (with blade recycle slot) tucks I just slide out the blades as intended and wrap in a bit of tape when all blades are used to keep the old blades from sliding out when transporting to our town recycling center. Always have at least one plastic tuck in play for recycling cardboard tuck blades in addition to the brand in the tuck. Have a stack of my 3 -4 in-play tucks in the medicine cabinet.

Just rip the little buggers out of the tucks, slap a ton of ‘em in an empty soap container and play razor blade roulette like I do.

Close your eyes, grab a random blade and get shaving! 👍

Seriously, I have done this for years…

View attachment 1367321View attachment 1367323

I don't rotate DE or blades much anymore. Sometimes I go months or years before making a change. Just the thought having to choose a blade from that tub, gave me shivers, and forced me to pour another G&T. At least that's what I told my wife.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes:
View attachment 1367291

Like so:
View attachment 1367294

Which sometimes works out great, but more often than not... not so great (if you are a tidiness and detail freak).

Let me just have a swig of my favorite medicine before continuing:
View attachment 1367297

Here's my "detail freak" special method:

Using a stationery scalpel, carefully separate the glued end flaps (just one end of course :wink2:):
View attachment 1367299

Fold the flaps out and remove your blade:
View attachment 1367301

Fold the flaps back and return the pack into its container (along with its friends :biggrin:):
View attachment 1367303
Fantastic post. Grateful for the demonstration!!
Now I love that box. Looks like it is made for blades. Where on earth did you find that?
(Link please. Don’t make me beg!)
🙏

Fantastic post. Grateful for the demonstration!!
Now I love that box. Looks like it is made for blades. Where on earth did you find that?
(Link please. Don’t make me beg!)
🙏
Thank you... but sorry Rhody, I'm in the UK.

You obviously missed Post #14:
That container looks as though it is made for blades! Where did you find it?
... and (my reply) Post #16:
I'm in the UK. I found three-packs of the containers at Poundland (equivalent to your Dollar Stores I guess). Naturally, I purchased several. :biggrin:

I do extended (biannual) Poundland visits, always with my 3m (10') tape clipped to my belt. :letterk1:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yes:
View attachment 1367291

Like so:
View attachment 1367294

Which sometimes works out great, but more often than not... not so great (if you are a tidiness and detail freak).

View attachment 1367297

Using a stationery scalpel, carefully separate the glued end flaps (just one end of course :wink2:):
View attachment 1367299

View attachment 1367301

Fold the flaps back and return the pack into its container (along with its friends :biggrin:):
View attachment 1367303
What! No glue on the flaps before returning???? How lazy can you get?

IMG_20211126_202937.jpg
IMG_20211126_202955.jpg
IMG_20211126_203017.jpg

OK gents, it is supposed to look like in the final pic, right? Although, I still don't get the logic behind the design, I guess one thing is that it makes it easier to slide out a blade with your thumb or any finger really.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes:
View attachment 1367291

Like so:
View attachment 1367294

View attachment 1367297

View attachment 1367299

View attachment 1367301

View attachment 1367303
Brother, you DEFINITELY are the King of BOSC-land...... Cer T Fiable....

I just use a dull DE blade.

Top Bottom