What's new

What's the best Swedish Straight Razor Maker?

That is slick! I love the old ones with the brass “frames.” Did you just acquire this one or have you had it for some time? Glad to help!
Bought it on the bay yesterday and it’s coming from Sweden. Yeah it’s gorgeous and I couldn’t resist the challenge of shaving with one.

To me, shaving with a frameback is the same as shaving with any other straight, I've had a lot of them and I have never found any of them to be 'challenging'. They're quite enjoyable, I prefer them over full hollows.

To me, shaving with a frameback is the same as shaving with any other straight, I've had a lot of them and I have never found any of them to be 'challenging'. They're quite enjoyable, I prefer them over full hollows.
I really like the late version of frameback razors, with the frame including the spine and tang. The early version (with only a blade prolonged into a tang and a brass tube for spine as post #38 above) is way to "fiddly" to be to my liking. The very thin tang makes me nervous since i can't get a stable grip of it. Then again this is my personal and very subjective opinion. I'm truly glad to know that others like these old razors and thus preserves them for the future.

I am also really fond of framebacks, the only thing to be wary of is the interchangeable sets if the blades are all different dimensions and the frame is worn. That makes for a mess.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I am also really fond of framebacks, the only thing to be wary of is the interchangeable sets if the blades are all different dimensions and the frame is worn. That makes for a mess.

Hone them with tape. The frames usually aren’t hard so I use tape even if there’s only one blade. Put a layer of 1 mil Kapton on the frame so it stays the same width and then you can hone and touch up both blades even if they’re different widths/wear.

It becomes a real pain if the frame is worn in the way a lot of blades out of france in particular are ragged.

My Klas Törnblom restoration project. Took a long time to sharpen up, but now that it's reached sharpness nirvana, it's a great shaver.

It's a little Bergslagen Beauty.

Before
proxy.php

Afterwards

proxy.php

My Klas Törnblom restoration project. Took a long time to sharpen up, but now that it's reached sharpness nirvana, it's a great shaver.

It's a little Bergslagen Beauty.

Before
proxy.php

Afterwards

proxy.php
That's a very good restoration. I must confess that I'm really a huge fan of this Swedish razor model and if I most choose one of them (Hellberg, Jernbolaget, Törnblom, Heljestrand, Neiström, E.A. Berg etcetera) it would be Törnblom. They are all magnificent, but to me Törnblom is special. The other makers made several different razor types, but this was Törnblom's flagship, even if they made small series of other razor types as well.

An old thread, but a good one! Swedish razors are still my favorite! I own at least one or two of all the brands, but particularly love My CVH MK31, MK32, and MK4.
Do you have a pic of your Jernbolaget wedge? (Salivating at the thought…)

Top Bottom