What's new

What's the best stuff for Irritation?

this is easy…. The best thing for irritation is proper technique.

You also need.

Hot water
Pre Shave (cream not oil)
Light Pressure
Map your beard ( very important! )
Use a blade that you know works for you.

Maybe use a more mild safety razor or if you’re using a straight razor, maybe put it back on the stone or strop it again

+1 for Nivea Men AS Balm. Clinique AS soother was very effective, bit pricey, little goes a long way.
That NIVEA stuff is great, anyone will do, makes your face real shiny and puts a lot of moisture back into it to bring the pH back. So it doesn’t matter if you use alcohol splash or not using witch hazel after along with a decent balm will eradicate what you’re doing with the alcohol. I.E Drying out the skin

My skin is like that of a baby bird, at least on my neck. After the shave, I rinse thoroughly with cold water, pat dry, and use (in this order):
  • Witch Hazel w/menthol
  • Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
  • Stirling Post-Shave Balm
  • Alcohol-based aftershave
Some would call this overkill, but they don't have my face and neck. I find this to be very effective.

Also, as @CutThroatMike said, proper technique is the base from which to work. That takes time and practice, so don't despair - you'll sneak up on it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Pressure and incorrect razor/blade angle are the best ways I've found to create irritation.

To get rid of it I recommend Thayer's toner w/aloe - no alcohol, followed by the balm/moisturizer of your choice. I like Clinique Moisturizer, but there are a great many that can do the job. I would find one that doesn't require a lot of rubbing on your poor neck before it is fully absorbed.

Aqua Velva Ice Blue or other alcohol splash. What others call the burn of an alcohol based after shave I consider to be an instant quench. Instant and total.

Since I began to shave with my DE, I've had irritation on my neck.

Probably like most of us here who switched from carts to DE, my neck took the longest time to get the angle right. I was in my 60s when I switched from injectors and carts to DE. I tried using Nivea balm, but after 40 years of alcohol splashes, wimpy balms didn't cut it. Practice with a DE, going lightly on the neck, followed up with a splash of Dickinson's witch hazel, to sooth the skin before applying an alcohol aftershave, gradualy worked for me.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I'm a newbie to wet shaving myself I saw a few of the gents mentioning that cold shaves helped. I've been doing cold water shaves for the past couple of months and discovered I can shave everyday without any irritation on the trouble spots down the side of my mouth. I don't know the ins and outs of it I just know it worked for me. Could be worth a shot 🤔.

I don't shave every day ... maybe every other to 3 days. I saw in another you said I would need to shave everyday to get proficient with the straight. Besides, my hand is too shaky to have that around my ears and throat.

I was going to suggest shaving less to avoid irritation. I usually shave every three days with a straight and do not have irritation. With a DE, I find a lot of blades feel raw and leave weepers, whereas a well-honed and stropped straight is very smooth in comparison. Not knowing your technique with a DE, I would suggest shaving WTG for the first pass, before moving to ATG and BBS for the second pass and touch-ups. Maybe ride more on the cap if you aren't doing already. Open-comb DEs are good for three-day stubble. The choice of DE blade is also important. Some DE blades don't work for me, others do. What works is an individual thing too...

Glad you found a solution for you by switching razors. If irritation creeps back in, I'm in the camp that uses Nivea. If you're still wanting to try different blades, send me a PM with your mailing information & I'll send you a sample pack of blades that work for me.

Another great inexpensive gel to try is ALOE Vera gel(clear preferred) is readily available at Walmart or other large stores.
I like to brush wash my face first and then apply the Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area. Aloe is used for burns and skin irritants. You can apply afterwards also if there is skin irritation and will feel better. I also like to use cold water rinse after each pass to calm the skin & have been doing that for years.
View attachment 1414720
Have some great shaves!
I am in complete agreement with the inexpensive plain ol' aloe vera.

***Make sure to check the label for alcohol*** I saw a lower price on some aloe and did not notice until I brought 2 bottles home that alcohol is listed in the ingredients. Yes, it stings a little.

how long is a piece of string ?

your skin is unique to you, and what work for you might not work me and vice versa, for me well proraso works best but then for a 3rd of the price Nivea AS balm works great too just not as great

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Cold water before, after and during the shave...Lucky Tiger Face Tonic after the shave. That will help. Irritation may be caused by:

Too many passes.
No protection during repeat or additional passes.
Protection/Lather inadequate.
Too much pressure used.
Chasing BBS with too mild a razor.

Top Bottom