What's new

What's the best stone to get rid of small chips?

Greetings everyone! I'm finally about to purchase my first set of hones. So far I've got a Chosera 1k, Norton 4k/8k, and a Chinese 12k on my list. I'm also debating whether or not to buy a DMT 325 to lap everything. My next question, however, is about getting rid of small chips. Over the last few months I've bought some "eBay specials" in an attempt to get a good collection of razors I can practice honing on before I start honing for good razors.

A few of these blades (as well as some of my "good" ones) have tiny chips on them. What would you guys suggest I add to my hone list? Would the DMT 325 do the trick? Something lower? If I use a 220/325/whatever it may be, would I need another stone to bridge the gap between it and the Chosera 1k?

I look forward to the information you guys can give and I'll probably be buying everything next week. :thumbup1:

A DMT 325 plate is what I use for blades with visible edge chips and to lap. I do lap in the sink with running water.

I just took out a chip that was a hair under 1.0 mm deep, and just about as wide. My Chosera 600 did the trick. It removed metal at just the right speed; slowly enough to not get in trouble, but fast enough to not make me insane.
I'm not sure if what I did was a good idea or not - but I started the process with one layer of tape on the spine - once the chip was well inside that bevel, I took the tape off and set the bevel without tape. In the moment - doing it that way seemed to make sense. This morning I'm second guessing myself but the blade looks real nice so I guess that's what counts.

A 325 DMT works but moves metal fast and you can make a bigger mess of the razor. A 600 is the lowest I recommend; it still removes metal and isn't as fast as a 325.

So it looks like a 600 will be the way to go. I assume I wouldn't have any problems going from a 600 to the Chosera 1k. I might end up buying a DMT 325/600 in the interest of saving space and money. Thanks for the help so far!

The Chosera 1000 should be perfectly sufficient for getting nicks out of razors. If you are compelled to buy something else, something in the 500-600 (JIS?) range might help. I am assuming you are talking about chip removal, though. I only go lower than 1000 grit for reprofiling razors.

The Chosera 1K takes out small chips like a champ, especially if you slurry it a bit first.
The DMT 325 makes short work of all chips, but also eat razor steel at a very fast pace. Use with caution!

The Chosera 1000 should be perfectly sufficient for getting nicks out of razors. If you are compelled to buy something else, something in the 500-600 (JIS?) range might help. I am assuming you are talking about chip removal, though. I only go lower than 1000 grit for reprofiling razors.

I recently did a Novodur with a visible chip about 1/32-1/16 deep. Took 20 minutes on my chosera 1K, which I don't think is too long in the least.

I have removed chips with my DMT 325 as well - it just chews through tape on the spine rather fast.

Thinking of getting a lower grit chosera for some of this work as well to speed things up a bit.

I recently did a Novodur with a visible chip about 1/32-1/16 deep. Took 20 minutes on my chosera 1K, which I don't think is too long in the least.

I have removed chips with my DMT 325 as well - it just chews through tape on the spine rather fast.

Thinking of getting a lower grit chosera for some of this work as well to speed things up a bit.

It's true. If you use tape, any marginal reduction in time from using a lower grit stone for chip removal is totally lost by having to replace the tape more often. Thank you for further reminding me why I dislike honing on DMTs. Higher grit stones (especially waterstones, where the abrasives are surrounded by binder instead of fully exposed diamonds) abrade the tape. Lower grit diamond plates seem to just quickly rip off the tape.

Last edited:

So it sounds like the Chosera 1k will be quite sufficient. Since I made this thread I've started to lean more toward a Naniwa super stone set from The Superior Shave. Will the Naniwa 1k work as well as the Chosera 1k as far as small chip removal goes? It seems to me that they would be similar, but the fact that the Chosera 1k comes with a Nagura appeals to me since I would be able to use it to clean off all of the stones. Perhaps I could buy the whole Naniwa set in addition to the Chosera and just have two options for bevel setting.

So it sounds like the Chosera 1k will be quite sufficient. Since I made this thread I've started to lean more toward a Naniwa super stone set from The Superior Shave. Will the Naniwa 1k work as well as the Chosera 1k as far as small chip removal goes? It seems to me that they would be similar, but the fact that the Chosera 1k comes with a Nagura appeals to me since I would be able to use it to clean off all of the stones. Perhaps I could buy the whole Naniwa set in addition to the Chosera and just have two options for bevel setting.

If you already have a chosera 1K, then there is absolutely no need to get the naniwa. The chosera is superior in all regards. The naniwa needs lapped often and if you are using it for chip removal I think it would be a PITA.

If you already have a chosera 1K, then there is absolutely no need to get the naniwa. The chosera is superior in all regards. The naniwa needs lapped often and if you are using it for chip removal I think it would be a PITA.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be getting a Chosera for bevel setting and Naniwas for the rest. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom