What's new

Whats the best Shaving bowl

If you go for a copper bowl don't leave a puck inside. Otherwise they are pretty and durable.
IMG_20201019_183100.jpg

I found a old clear soup mug last eve. and tried it(Mitchells Wool Fat) had the right depth ,so as not to run lather out but no ribs to hold the soap or work up the lather.. But I did get it to work and got a nice shave. Thinking I'd try a Timeless... But I'm open to other kinds..
Open bowls will let the Mitchell’s puck dry out between uses. That’s why I use the ceramic crock that came with my first puck. It has a lid to keep the puck from drying out.

F756DC87-5CC0-419C-ABCE-EEA22106A10F.jpeg

I'm looking for a bowl to throw in a disc of soap and build a head of lather.. What do you use? whats a good one to buy?
Reading your post one would understand that you want to load and build lather on the soap. Something that I have never done and would not recommend doing. It is just my opinion. I load from a puck but build lather either on face or in a separate bowl. Latter is my favourite.

Reading your post one would understand that you want to load and build lather on the soap. Something that I have never done and would not recommend doing. It is just my opinion. I load from a puck but build lather either on face or in a separate bowl. Latter is my favourite.
When I started using shaving soap and brushes, I saw a youtube video by Michael Feedberg called 'how to build a lather'. He said there were two ways to do it that he called the dry brush and the wet brush methods, but imo these are only slightly different variants of the face lathering method, and ime which one is better depends on the soap. I didn't know some shavers used a separate bowl for lathering, and that what I was doing was called face lathering, until much later. Maybe it's because I started out that way, but face lathering is the only way I'll do it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
For lathering a Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl is the go. To keep the soap and lather from the puck I would use an Old Spice Mug.

For those recommending the Captain’ Choice copper bowl: is the heavy duty model better than the regular version, apart from being more dent resistant?

I went with this. Most of my brushes have shorter handles.

I've started to press soap in a wide lathering bowl. There's loads of room to poach the brush and I find this FAR superior to loading out of the usual containers soaps cone in. I don't great the lather in the bowl, but face lather. I don't cover the bowl but leave alone. It's the best way I've ever loaded soap and get superb shaves.

I received the Captain’s Choice copper for Christmas. I’m really enjoying it. Beautiful to look at, fits my hand and is great for making lather. I don’t keep. Puck in it. For that I use an Old Spice mug from An antique store or the bowls that came with soap that I’ve finished. I never can throw those out

View attachment 1215804

Seventeen squirts of water and six minutes of lathering later:

View attachment 1215805

I like the vintage Corelle coffee cup for lathering.
It's cheap, durable and well suited to the task.

The size and shape of it keeps the brush handle
from clattering against the edge of the cup.

I never felt the need for a textured surface inside the cup
to aid aeration.

I learned to lather William's from three YouTubes.
The first two were bad reviews complaining that
it formed large bubbles which collapsed quickly.
The third YouTube was about how to lather William's
and point was that after the large bubbles form,
you keep going,
and then you get the fine bubbles which don't collapse.
The first two YouTubes emphasized the consequences
of not doing it right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom