What's new

Whats the best Shaving bowl

What is your puck size/soap?

The Proraso Professional Mug works quite well for smaller pucks like Haslinger.
The Marvy Mug is perfect for Williams.
And a vintage Old Spice mug is classy and works also well with smaller pucks.

Not sure the best, but I have the ceramic and copper bowls from Captain’s Choice and they seem to work well. I prefer the copper for durability in case it gets dropped, but don’t leave soap sitting inside. I’ve noticed when a puck is left to dry, green oxidization forms. I do like the hand hammered look and feel too.

I love my copper Captain's Choice bowl for lathering, but it really needs to be rinsed and dried after each use to prevent oxidation. If you're just looking for something to hold a soap puck, then the Old Spice Mugs are classic. I would just take a trip to the local thrift shop, though, and find something that is about the right size and feels good in the hand.

I use a smaller wooden shaving bowl to press in part of an Arko stick. My lathering bowl is a larger stainless steel bowl. I usually just store the smaller wooden bowl with Arko inside the stainless steel bowl when I put my stuff away. Less space that way. Living in NYC teaches you tricks like that.

I refuse to use a shaving bowl that can shatter if dropped. Been there, done that.

Both bowls I think came out to 13 bucks total on Amazon. Search around.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I say, be green/frugal: use whatever you have laying around. For me, it started with my dad’s china mug. 30 years later, I upgraded to a WWII-vintage Army Medical bowl. My sons received china mugs for Christmas. Both said the sound of the brush clinking against their mugs takes them back to their childhoods, when they awoke to me making that same sound. Who knew that would help get them into DE shaving?!

Attachments

• 6AC743C7-FECF-454B-A396-5698E87C835D.jpeg
    6AC743C7-FECF-454B-A396-5698E87C835D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 70
The Captain's Choice in Cobalt blue ...because that's what I have on order! :biggrin1:

I ordered it because I like the design -- shallow, but with a swell down low that should help to hold the lather in. There are lots of bowls available, though, and I doubt you can go too far wrong. Having said that, I don't understand the stainless steel bowls that have a high polish on the inside. I would think that a very smooth surface would not be best for lather production, but then I've not actually tried one.

I have only one and that's the Timeless bowl which I've dropped countless times and God knows how many ceramic bowls were saved. It's inexpensive, it has a nice spiral pattern which makes great lather and it's basically indestructible.

If you want to purchase a new bowl then go for any copper/ steel bowl (with handle if you can find one), but if you are asking what can be used for the puck of soap, then best option is either a thick and big coffee mug or any plastic cold cream container.

I have a Mitchell's Wool Fat, an Institut Karite soap (both triple milled) and a William's soap on the way.
I plan to use various coffee mugs in the house and a 200 ml cold cream container for the soap pucks.

I really like my Captain's Choice ceramic and copper bowls. I don't leave the soap in them though. I had a Timeless bowl, very inexpensive, but I PIF'd it away.

I guess it depends on the size and shape of the puck. For Geo. F. Trumper, I find this bowl, made of recycled plastic, works fine. Set me back $1.29 at one of those discount housewares stores.
20201102_152131.jpg

I found a old clear soup mug last eve. and tried it(Mitchells Wool Fat) had the right depth ,so as not to run lather out but no ribs to hold the soap or work up the lather.. But I did get it to work and got a nice shave. Thinking I'd try a Timeless... But I'm open to other kinds..

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Depends on the soap. Pucks that come in containers (eg. Stirling) stay in those containers. Pucks, such as Williams, fit perfectly in straight-sided coffee mugs that I found in a local dollar store.

For building lather, I use a small, collapsible dog bowl (the kind with nubs at the bottom) from Amazon, though I sometimes toy with getting a heavy copper bowl from Captain's Choice.

Top Bottom