What's new

What's the best Schick injector razor?

My Personna injector (the swoopy-looking stainless steel and plastic job from the '70s) shaves me very well indeed. I'm still getting used to it, but I like it more every time I shave with it. I wish it were a touch heavier, but otherwise it's a fine, well-made razor. I should get around to writing something up for the reviews section; I'm a little surprised that no one else has, either, at least none that I've found.

EDIT: The best part about injectors in my mind is that they make the transition to wetshaving almost painless: you just have to watch your pressure, but they otherwise behave much like cartridge razors do. If I could start this whole wetshaving journey over, I'd start with an injector.

Funny thing I remember: my dad shaved with an electric, but my mom used an L1. I had forgotten about that completely until I joined B&B and realized what her razor was.

But yes, I think they're the easiest possible transition tool, and good shavers for just about anyone. The DE razor has greater cachet so most go straight to that, though.

"The British are coming! The British are coming!"

My favorite injector is handsdown the Paul Revere-not sure what style injector this is considered (E,L...)

My Personna injector (the swoopy-looking stainless steel and plastic job from the '70s) shaves me very well indeed. I'm still getting used to it, but I like it more every time I shave with it. I wish it were a touch heavier, but otherwise it's a fine, well-made razor. I should get around to writing something up for the reviews section; I'm a little surprised that no one else has, either, at least none that I've found.

EDIT: The best part about injectors in my mind is that they make the transition to wetshaving almost painless: you just have to watch your pressure, but they otherwise behave much like cartridge razors do. If I could start this whole wetshaving journey over, I'd start with an injector.

Brother DougK

I wish you would teach me how to shave with the stainless steel appearing Personna Injector circa 1970. I think I am a knowledgeable shaver, and I have wet shaved daily since November 1951. I have about 75 razors, and the Personna Injector is the one razor that I cannot tame!

I want to like it, as it is a mint specimen and I paid $25 for it. (It retailed for $1.25 in 1970.) I have tough whiskers and average skin. It gives me a blood bath every time I use it, which is seldom. It shows no signs of damage. I use the made in China Schick Injector blades and they work fine for me. Any hints or thoughts? My thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Here's what I've tried C-1 Repeater, D, E, G, I, and M adjustable. My favorite is the C-1. Next would probably be the E, then the D, G and I, but I really need more time with these to say if the order is correct. I like the head on the M, but the handle is too long for my taste.

I have tough whiskers and I use Schick Chinese blades.

My favorite injectors are:

Type E

Type G

Type L loaded with a Schick Twin blade.

Type L-3 "The Grip" with a Schick Twin blade.

Type M (the adjustable) BTW I love the retractable blade feature for travel.

I've got the following. An E-2, I-1, N-1, and a 1970's Personna. I like the long handled N the best, but they all give nice shaves.

My first razor was a hand me down from my father. a I2 Hydro-Magic(still have it) and I used it for years as my sole razor. Now I prefer the more aggressive models A thru E, but I have used them all up to model M including the rare D & F. Have to say there is not a bum steer in the lot.

I have several Schick injectors but only two that I use on a regular basis. I have an early E2 (the type that opens) that is smooth and aggressive at the same time.

I also have a chrome I1 with a black handle. This is a very ordinary razor, on the mild side . . . until it is loaded with a Twin Blade. Then it turns into an extremely efficient whisker removal tool.

--Bob

I have several Schick injectors but only two that I use on a regular basis. I have an early E2 (the type that opens) that is smooth and aggressive at the same time.

I also have a chrome I1 with a black handle. This is a very ordinary razor, on the mild side . . . until it is loaded with a Twin Blade. Then it turns into an extremely efficient whisker removal tool.

--Bob

Mr. Spider-Man,
Some forums say the Schick Injector Type I (non hydro-magic model) can handle a Schick injector twin blade, and other forums say No, a twin blade should only be used on a Type L or later models.

I loaded a twin blade into my Type I (non hydro-magic) and shaved once. The shave was surprisingly mediocre, and somehow I felt jamming a blade into a Type I was pushing the envelope.

I reminded myself that the Type I dates from the late 1950's before there were twin blades, and therefore the razor was not designed for twin blades. I do get very good shaves with a Type L loaded with a Schick twin blade. The Type L dates from the 1970's and the twin blade I believe was introduced in 1974, so of course they would be a good match.

I respect your knowledge of SE razors, and I would like your comments (and from any other forum members too) about my thoughts on a Type I and the twin blade vs. the Type L with the twin blade. Thanx in advance!

Last edited:
Mr. Spider-Man,
Some forums say the Schick Injector Type I (non hydro-magic model) can handle a Schick injector twin blade, and other forums say No, a twin blade should only be used on a Type L or later models.

I loaded a twin blade into my Type I (non hydro-magic) and shaved once. The shave was surprisingly mediocre, and somehow I felt jamming a blade into a Type I was pushing the envelope.

I reminded myself that the Type I dates from the late 1950's before there were twin blades, and therefore the razor was not designed for twin blades. I do get very good shaves with a Type L loaded with a Schick twin blade. The Type L dates from the 1970's and the twin blade I believe was introduced in 1974, so of course they would be a good match.

I respect your knowledge of SE razors, and I would like your comments (and from any other forum members too) about my thoughts on a Type I and the twin blade vs. the Type L with the twin blade. Thanx in advance!

I've had no problems using a Twin in my I1s (definitely a no-no in the I2) and I know of others who have had no problems using them in the H. Twins in a G or an E are a also a definite no-no. Basically they are OK above a G as long as there is no rinsing lever. As to how the shaves compare between the I and L, the one that suits you best is the best one. :thumbup1:

Mr. Spider-Man,

Well, it's certainly true that the Type I pre-dates the twin blades by quite a few years, since the twin blades were a response to Gillette's Trac II cartridge introduced in 1971.

I too have seen contradictory info on the forums.

However, the I and the L heads are nearly identical - the main difference is the longer handle on the L (the cap on the L does cover a bit more of the blade. I find both razors to be on the mild side with single blades, and my experience is that the twin blade loads into either razor with ease, and the shaves are also nearly identical.

I have a preference for short handles, so the I works better for me. Besides, the I1 mentioned above has significant brassing and flea bites (I think I paid $8 for it) so I'm not too concerned about damaging a rare collectors item. :001_rolle

--Bob

I bought an L first, and I still use it. I had a bad E-type that could not be fixed. I had a J when I was in the middle of a rash of bad Chick blades. I had an entire sleeve of bad Chicks that tore me to pieces, and this is after I had been using my L successfully for several months. I wish I still had the J.

Any of the milder Schick Injectors, IMHO, are great daily drivers. So from the I to the O are great. I have tried the E and G Injectors and they are more aggressive and rougher on my face.

Luckily they are easy enough to find, so get an L to start, and then get a G or E and try those out as well. The J handle is one of my all-time favorite handles on any razor. You can also still get brand new O-type knock-offs that are great shavers.

I have an "I" that makes frequent appearances at the sink. Have two "G-1" I can't get a decent shave with. I have great luck with older GEMs and a RazoRock Hawk, dunno why the Gs kick my backside.

Top Bottom