What's new

What's the "best/preferred" way to apply fragrances . . . ?

I noticed that Em (EmsPlace) offers colognes/aftershaves . . . in various applicator bottles: spritzer/atomizer, flip-top splash cap, pump and roller-ball rounds (for roll on application). In my opinion, from most dispensed to least dispensed: pump, splash, spritzer/atomizer, roller-ball. What do you think is the "best/preferred" way to apply fragrances, etc.?

~Tim :cool:

In general, a spray will give you the best coverage for the least amount of product. Splashes are inefficient, but some people like them. As for roll-on's...:18: Just the thought of that ball rolling over grime on your skin and then putting it back in the bottle. Yeck.

A few spritzes on your upper chest, and perhaps an arm, and you are all set. Colognes I bought with splash tops I generally decant into an atomizer, unless we are talking about aftershave.

I haven't found a decent atomiser in the UK so the splash ones get splashed and the atomisers get sprayed. I usually put it on my upper chast and the back of my neck.

AceHarddrive said:
I noticed that Em (EmsPlace) offers colognes/aftershaves . . . in various applicator bottles: spritzer/atomizer, flip-top splash cap, pump and roller-ball rounds (for roll on application). In my opinion, from most dispensed to least dispensed: pump, splash, spritzer/atomizer, roller-ball. What do you think is the "best/preferred" way to apply fragrances, etc.?

~Tim :cool:

Typically I prefer to spray. I usually don't wear much cologne and sometimes one spray is more that I care for... some sprayers actually work ok for the application of 1/2 spray, but usually the easiest thing is the spray-and-walk method (they show this on Queer Eye all the time) where you spray in front of yourself and then walk into the mist.

Also for this same reason I don't mind the splash as it allows you to just get a small amount of cologne on your fingers and dab it wherever you want it to go.

Atomizers work well as do splashes. The drawback of the splash is that your hands smell, and the possiblility of spilling.

Spraying on your clothes I have heard and experienced to be useless. The hot spots on your body work the best. I typically spray the backs of my ears, the inside of my elbows, wrists, and chest. I know it seems like a lot but that's what works for me. If the fragrance is a strong one then I'll cut back on the # of places I spray.

For those of you that spray on your wrists or forearms, once you spray on both sides, do you rub them together or not? I have heard pros and cons on doing either, in fact, some actually counteract each other. Here is what I've been told:

Pro's:
rubbing your forearms/wrists together spreads out the scent over a wider percentage of skin eliminating the need to use a lot
it will also spread out the scent to areas that you didn't get with the spray
it will evaporate quicker, leaving more scent

Con's:
rubbing your forearms/wrists together breaks up the scent (I have no idea what that means)
it also minimizes it's effectiveness as a scent by spreading it out
it will evaporate quicker, leaving less scent

S

Sam

Art, I have heard all of that which you have posted. Also, I was told that rubbing the wrists, though my wife does that, bruises the scent and makes the topnotes go away

Rubbing the wrists together entails friction, and the energy of friction converts quite easily to heat. Fragrances are quite sensitive to heat - this is one of the reasons it is not recommended to apply a fragrance immediately after showering, in order to give your skin some time to cool down - so the heat caused by the friction will alter the scent. Mind you, this alteration may not be negative, in fact you might enjoy the change, but it will not be the same drydown pattern as if you sprayed and let it go.

I use a Q-tip with a single spray. I put the tip right up to the nozzle so that a single spray will saturate the cotton tip.

I then give one short rub under each ear where the razor did not touch, one each on the wrists at the pressure testing points and sometimes under my adams apple.

If I REALLY like the scent, I rub the insides of my nostrils with the Q-tip.... oops.... that slipped out...

:blushing:

No, of course not. I'd never do such a ridiculous thing. Not me, no. Not no how and no way.

The Q-tip allows me to ensure that I am being Frangrance Polite by not applying too much of a good thing.

-joedy

Scotto said:
In general, a spray will give you the best coverage for the least amount of product. Splashes are inefficient, but some people like them. As for roll-on's...:18: Just the thought of that ball rolling over grime on your skin and then putting it back in the bottle. Yeck.

A few spritzes on your upper chest, and perhaps an arm, and you are all set. Colognes I bought with splash tops I generally decant into an atomizer, unless we are talking about aftershave.
I agree.

If it's particularly strong scent, you may want to spray it and walk through the mist until you are certain you want a full spray on your chest.

I spray a little bit right under the palm of my both hands and on the bottom left and the right of my neck.

Joedy said:
I use a Q-tip with a single spray. I put the tip right up to the nozzle so that a single spray will saturate the cotton tip.

I then give one short rub under each ear where the razor did not touch, one each on the wrists at the pressure testing points and sometimes under my adams apple.

If I REALLY like the scent, I rub the insides of my nostrils with the Q-tip.... oops.... that slipped out...

:blushing:

No, of course not. I'd never do such a ridiculous thing. Not me, no. Not no how and no way.

The Q-tip allows me to ensure that I am being Frangrance Polite by not applying too much of a good thing.

-joedy
Q-tip strike in the nostrils? Hmmm.. Going to have to try that with some lighter fragrances. I'm a splasher from the word go! AAMOF, having fragrance on the hands is great for two reasons. First you transfer the fragrance to things you touch, e.g. clothing. Second, it provides the opportunity to regain the fullness of the fragrance when stroking one's BBS moustache area, etc.:blushing:

Rik said:
I agree.

If it's particularly strong scent, you may want to spray it and walk through the mist until you are certain you want a full spray on your chest.

If you are going to be in a work place or professional setting, this is probably the most 'polite' way to apply any cologne.

There's nothing worse than someone who bathes in the stuff.

Remember, just becuase you think it smells good, doesn't mean everyone does!

PS: I wear cologne almost everyday... I'm just careful about the quantity because I don't want to offend.:wink:

So am I the only one who just wears one of those pine tree air fresheners around his neck? The scent lasts for weeks, offers an aggressive Pine-Sol drydown, and I get A LOT of looks from the ladies. And from lumberjacks.

My routine for After Shave splashes is:

Work and Play- Pour some into my hands and pat my chest and the back of my neck with it.

My routine for EDT's is:

Work- I spray each wrist, the base of my neck, and my hair.

Play- I spray each wrist, the behind each ear, the base of my neck, just below my navel.

My routine for EDP's is:

Work- I only have Hanae Mori as an EDP, and it is too powerful for a work related scent. But, my wife loves it on me for going out at night.

Play- I spray each wrist and the base of my neck.

It should be noted that I am able to burn off scents rather fast and that I rarely wear scents with a lot of synthetics other than the Hanae Mori EDP.

Top Bottom