What's new

What's something you've never seen/don't believe exists in the shaving world

My question still stands... How do you use it? Do you just rub this massive brick of soap on you in the shower? Lathering a brush on it must be a dream though, so much space to lather on!
Sorry. I cut it with a kitchen knife into the sizes that I need. I do have a smaller 8oz block that I can actually rub on my face like a shave stick. 😉

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A vintage razor, shaving brush, or shaving soap, in a charity shop, thrift store, or antique dealer, anywhere in the UK. After many years of searching I have found a grand total of...... zero. If you live in the USA you can seemingly pop to the grocery store for a pint of milk, and pick up a double ring, a bottom dial Fatboy, and two Toggles on your way home - and still have change out of ten dollars.

A vintage razor, shaving brush, or shaving soap, in a charity shop, thrift store, or antique dealer, anywhere in the UK. After many years of searching I have found a grand total of...... zero. If you live in the USA you can seemingly pop to the grocery store for a pint of milk, and pick up a double ring, a bottom dial Fatboy, and two Toggles on your way home - and still have change out of ten dollars.
Cheapest fat/slim boy I've seen was one for £30 + shipping from Ukraine that looked like it had been buried underground since the 70s. One that's clean is £60+

Hardly. But it does seem like every antique store in Oregon has two or three straight razors in abysmal condition, the ubiquitous Rolls Razor (bonus points if it hasn't been messed up by clueless shoppers), and a GEM razor of some sort. Oh, and a Christy's or Enders razor that no one wants.

Oregon has a LOT of migrant workers from Mexico, and they tend to buy up all the Gillette DE razors, according to many of the shop owners.

Hardly. But it does seem like every antique store in Oregon has two or three straight razors in abysmal condition, the ubiquitous Rolls Razor (bonus points if it hasn't been messed up by clueless shoppers), and a GEM razor of some sort. Oh, and a Christy's or Enders razor that no one wants.

Oregon has a LOT of migrant workers from Mexico, and they tend to buy up all the Gillette DE razors, according to many of the shop owners.
Funny that you say this. I've been to quite a few antique shops in Oregon and agree with your assessment.

I've actually scored some really good deals here including a tobacco box filed with vintage DE, Gem and Injector blades, a stick of Williams soap, a boxed Tech, a Schick injector and a Fatboy.

All had for $10.

Funny that you say this. I've been to quite a few antique shops in Oregon and agree with your assessment.

I've actually scored some really good deals here including a tobacco box filed with vintage DE, Gem and Injector blades, a stick of Williams soap, a boxed Tech, a Schick injector and a Fatboy.

All had for $10.
What a deal!

All had for $10.
The best deal I found was a Schick type B for $10 in a shop in Aurora. Ended up getting a Type A and Type C to round out the collection. Didn't really like the way any of them shaved, so I sold them as a lot on eBay for $40 about 12 years ago. Kind of wish I still had them. Also had the 3 different Gillette old type sets that were part of a magazine subscription drive. All in really good shape with the cardboard blade banks. Sold those at the same time for $150.

Really wish I still had those.

Edit: all the Schicks had magazines, and I included a NOS cardboard tube magazine refill as well.

Last edited:
How is that even usable? Do you have to cut pieces of it off?
Actually is very easy and doable. Cut the kilo block in 9 pieces like this:
Schermata 2023-01-17 alle 10.08.48.png

That makes nine squared portions of little less than 4 oz.
Smash the first in a container (the soap is quite soft when fresh) and put the rest in eight small ziplock bags in the freezer.
When the first container is about to end, take one block from the freezer and let it defrost overnight. The soap will be as good as new, smash it in the container and that's it. 9 pucks of Cella at the price of 3!

Top Bottom