What's new

What’s some of the best boar brushes in the game?

I started wet shaving with badger, and I’m looking to broaden my horizons with some quality boar. I currently have a Stirling boar, but I’m Really debating on getting a thäter 4125, and a semogue SOC premium boar Taj. (Possibly both for my boar rotation) Just was wondering what other top-of-the-line boar brushes you guys might recommend? (I do like a good amount of Loft/backbone)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The best boar knot I have used is in the omega knot in the B&B Essential Boar. Actually, it's the best non-synthetic knot I have used.

The best boar knot I have used is in the omega knot in the B&B Essential Boar. Actually, it's the best non-synthetic knot I have used.
I think I seen that one going for $40 on WCS. Looks like a quality brush! Also can’t go wrong with the beautiful gold flakes in the handle.:thumbup1:

I started wet shaving with badger, and I’m looking to broaden my horizons with some quality boar. I currently have a Stirling boar, but I’m Really debating on getting a thäter 4125, and a semogue SOC premium boar Taj. (Possibly both for my boar rotation) Just was wondering what other top-of-the-line boar brushes you guys might recommend? (I do like a good amount of Loft/backbone)
Best for what? How do you use a brush and what sort of products?

I have not used that Stirling boar but I have heard great things about it. Be careful here, you might be going down a rabbit hole. With that said, with boars, you have to be patient. How patient? It depends on the boar.

I cannot recommend the Semogue Owner's Club, that thing has been nothing but a pain for me. It just hogs lather and takes forever to make any. Some say it takes months to get there. I am not that patient. If a brush isn't usable on my face within 30 days it's not worth my time.

Now the Omega Jade Premium 011842.....that's one killer brush....right out of the box. It takes a little time to relax, open up, and the tips to splay but it does the job it's supposed to do or....makes lather, right away. It's scrubby with a nice handle and totally a premium brush. I don't typically like large boars but this one does a good job and the only one I can recommend to you based on your criteria. Best of luck!

Best for what? How do you use a brush and what sort of products?
Best probably wasn’t the best way of asking, but more like your favorite all around boar brush (preferably a boar at a slightly higher price point of about $40-$100). I do both bowl and face lathering. Mostly bowl now that I have a Georgetown pottery G20 scuttle. The soaps I use are mostly Stirling. So kind of semi hard, I suppose?

I have not used that Stirling boar but I have heard great things about it. Be careful here, you might be going down a rabbit hole. With that said, with boars, you have to be patient. How patient? It depends on the boar.

I cannot recommend the Semogue Owner's Club, that thing has been nothing but a pain for me. It just hogs lather and takes forever to make any. Some say it takes months to get there. I am not that patient. If a brush isn't usable on my face within 30 days it's not worth my time.

Now the Omega Jade Premium 011842.....that's one killer brush....right out of the box. It takes a little time to relax, open up, and the tips to splay but it does the job it's supposed to do or....makes lather, right away. It's scrubby with a nice handle and totally a premium brush. I don't typically like large boars but this one does a good job and the only one I can recommend to you based on your criteria. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your input! I’m very intrested in the Omega Jade Premium 011842. Do you happen to have a link or know of a specific vendor that might carry it?

I got a Zenith Chubby Scrubby b27 a few months ago. It is just nicely broken in and I am very pleased with it. This brush has the stiffest backbone but when broken in it will nicely splay and paints fairly decent for a short loft. It’s my champion for exfoliating. My other boar is a Semogue 2000, completely different brush longer loft better painter but lighter on exfoliating. (Chubby not quite broken in in this photo)

Attachments

• DB6E8504-9423-478B-9081-089E808AB3BF.jpeg
    DB6E8504-9423-478B-9081-089E808AB3BF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 90
I got a Zenith Chubby Scrubby b27 a few months ago. It is just nicely broken in and I am very pleased with it. This brush has the stiffest backbone but when broken in it will nicely splay and paints fairly decent for a short loft. It’s my champion for exfoliating. My other boar is a Semogue 2000, completely different brush longer loft better painter but lighter on exfoliating. (Chubby not quite broken in in this photo)
I love the look of that Semogue 2000. Gorgeous. As far as the Zenith, it kind of reminds me of my Stirling. I did hear a rumor that Stirling uses a Zenith knot. I do love my Stirling now that I broke it in. I just wish it had a little more density. I did, however, do the cold water in the fridge trick with the 10 minutes of agitation on a towel every 24 hours method that some frown upon. Sure makes a big difference, though!

Thank you so much for your input! I’m very intrested in the Omega Jade Premium 011842. Do you happen to have a link or know of a specific vendor that might carry it?
I should have mentioned in my earlier post. I’m presently breaking in a large knot Zenith horse and I would recommend horse. They are a little harder to break in than boar but I like breaking in brushes anyway.

I love the look of that Semogue 2000. Gorgeous. As far as the Zenith, it kind of reminds me of my Stirling. I did hear a rumor that Stirling uses a Zenith knot. I do love my Stirling now that I broke it in. I just wish it had a little more density. I did, however, do the cold water in the fridge trick with the 10 minutes of agitation on a towel every 24 hours method that some frown upon. Sure makes a big difference, though!
I do a hell of a lot longer then ten minutes towelling a wet brush. I’ve used the frig cold water method and the horse I’m breaking in has had four trips to the fridge. It is 95% there. I shave every three days if I didn’t use an accelerated break in it would be too painfully.

Best probably wasn’t the best way of asking, but more like your favorite all around boar brush (preferably a boar at a slightly higher price point of about $40-$100). I do both bowl and face lathering. Mostly bowl now that I have a Georgetown pottery G20 scuttle. The soaps I use are mostly Stirling. So kind of semi hard, I suppose?
Ok, since you like both face and blowl lathering, I'd like to suggest two brushes that are both fantastic and together cost about what you were looking to spend.

First, the Omega Jade, as other people had suggested:

jade-boar-1.jpg

Second, the Mondial Aluminum Pro boar, which is only being sold from a shop in Australia at the moment:

mond1.jpg

IME there is no need to spend a lot of money to get a great boar brush. Some of my best ones are also low cost.

Based on the OP, I understand that you are looking for medium-sized to big brushes with a good amount of backbone. IME, the Mondial that @Atlantic59 mentions is a good candidate at the higher-price-tier, provided you don't mind face lathering with a big brush.

For a medium-sized brush, given my positive experience with Omega brushes and even though I don't have the brush, I agree with @rockviper 's recommendation. I also like the professional series by Omega, especially the 10098, but it is not premium. Perhaps you might fancy the 20102. The 011842 is an excellent brush, but it is a short lofted one and IME it is more difficult to use in deeper bowls, despite the length of the handle.

Zenith, as @JoWolf mentioned, is another manufacturer that is worth to look at, but I have no experience with their brushes. You can find models with bleached and unbleached bristles, with the latter being reported to have better backbone.

As I prefer face lathering, I am more into the shorter lofted Semogue brushes. The SOC doesn't work for me due to its large splay. The backbone can be a hit or miss depending on the copy. However, it is a good brush for mixed use. Personally, I would first look at the 1250 or the 1800.

Do you guys have any experience with a thäter 4125 boar brush?

IMHO and IME the quality control is poor. There are a couple of threads here reporting sub-standard glue work, as well as knots that have numerous bristles glued upside down that don't break in and make the brush too prickly. People that get good copies of it seem to like it a lot though.

Top Bottom