What's new

What's roasting?

It seems that if I don't stop a roast while it's still going through first crack, it'll end up too dark at around FC and up. Dry process beans are proving to be a nightmare to roast, and end up super uneven with chaff everywhere. I'm a fan of the Amaro Gayo, and I have that new DP Ethiopian on the way from Sweet Maria's, but I'm starting to think I might be a WP guy with the occasional DP everyone is raving about thrown in once in a while. The WP Kenyan I had not too long ago far surpasses anything DP that I've had so far, but I'll continue to try things out.

And I'm back to completely nailing target roasts. Just did a City roast with 13oz. of Yirga Cheffe Kochere. I found the key is using a larger batch size which I wasn't doing before, and stopping the roast much earlier than I think I should. I guess the beans have enough momentum rolling to finish 1st crack at the beginning of the cooling phase, so ideally you want to hit the cool button halfway through 1st crack if you're aiming for a City roast. City+ seems almost impossible to hit in this roaster, but I'm sure I'll figure out a way.

After this coffee is gone, I'll stick to just one coffee until it's gone starting with my small 1lb. bags, and moving up to the 10's. I figure once I start going through my 5lb. bag, and then my two 10lb. bags I'll have a chance to learn without distraction of variables. It's extremely satisfying that I keep raising the bar, and my coffee just gets better and better.

Last edited:
Guatemala fraijanes at full city/full city+ on the p1 setting at max. Great sweet flavors and a nice finish. No bitters or sours, which I like =p

Kenya Kirinyaga Peaberry Gakuyu-ini at City+.

Sure it's a super bright fruit-bomb Kenyan, but it's hardly balanced. It's top-heaviness is a definite eye-opener first thing in the morning. As it has aged, it's increased in complexity, so overall it's been a pretty darn good coffee. In my opinion, this one wasn't worth the price. I'll stick with the Amaro Gayo which at first I didn't think was bright enough, but am now beginning to understand and appreciate it's complexity.

Ethiopia Dry Process Jimma-Nigusie Lemma roasted to City+. This coffee cupped at an insane 94.1 over at Sweet Maria's, and so far any coffee that Tom has cupped at about 89 and over has been incredible, this one just doesn't grab me. It might be my undeveloped coffee palate, but I just don't get the hype on this one. This one kind of reminds me of the Ethiopian Yirga Cheffe Kochere I had recently, except IMHO that one was much much better. The mouthfeel on this DP Ethiopian is just far too thin for me to enjoy. In a clever coffee dripper it doesn't "feel" like I'm drinking coffee if that makes sense. This is pretty much a French press only coffee for myself. It's fruity, it's a little nutty, and it has a tiny tiny bit of that bittersweet cocoa thing going on, but I find a Brazilian type chocolate to be perfect in a bright African similar to the Yirga Cheffe Kochere.

Before anyone suggests letting it rest, this coffee is approaching day four of rest, so I'll update if my opinion changes.

Sounds good to me if you're getting fruity and nutty! Are you just used to a full city->french roast?

I've actually not roasted anything over full city+ personally, and tend to love coffees that thrive on a city or city+ roast. I think I've just been spoiled by some incredible Kenyan. I think this particular coffee is good, but I guess I expected much more from such a highly rated coffee. This coffee also taught me that I care more about mouthfeel than I originally thought I did. It's thinness detracts a bit from the experience for me.

Ethiopia Dry Process Jimma-Nigusie Lemma roasted to City+. This coffee cupped at an insane 94.1 over at Sweet Maria's, and so far any coffee that Tom has cupped at about 89 and over has been incredible, this one just doesn't grab me. It might be my undeveloped coffee palate, but I just don't get the hype on this one. This one kind of reminds me of the Ethiopian Yirga Cheffe Kochere I had recently, except IMHO that one was much much better. The mouthfeel on this DP Ethiopian is just far too thin for me to enjoy. In a clever coffee dripper it doesn't "feel" like I'm drinking coffee if that makes sense. This is pretty much a French press only coffee for myself. It's fruity, it's a little nutty, and it has a tiny tiny bit of that bittersweet cocoa thing going on, but I find a Brazilian type chocolate to be perfect in a bright African similar to the Yirga Cheffe Kochere.

Before anyone suggests letting it rest, this coffee is approaching day four of rest, so I'll update if my opinion changes.

I just took delivery of this same coffee today. I have to say, the green smells like it's a massive fruit-bomb. I have been disappointed with DP Ethiopians before in the body department. I haven't gotten into profiling it yet, so I can't report.

Ethiopia Yrgacheffe Koke co-op. Best coffee I have had in a while beside the Amaro Gayo. Pure apricot nectar and sweet, sweet, sweet at City+.

I've actually not roasted anything over full city+ personally, and tend to love coffees that thrive on a city or city+ roast. I think I've just been spoiled by some incredible Kenyan. I think this particular coffee is good, but I guess I expected much more from such a highly rated coffee. This coffee also taught me that I care more about mouthfeel than I originally thought I did. It's thinness detracts a bit from the experience for me.

Understood. I just roasted a brazilian that my wife and I aren't enthused about. We like the ones that say chocolate, maple, fruit, and whatever other sweet flavor characteristics on it! hehe.

Understood. I just roasted a brazilian that my wife and I aren't enthused about. We like the ones that say chocolate, maple, fruit, and whatever other sweet flavor characteristics on it! hehe.

If you're in the mood for a chocolate bomb Brazilian, then the Brazil Cerrado DP Fazenda Aurea will give you a good fix. I received this coffee as part of my sampler with my Behmor, and I have to say this is an incredible FC roast silk chocolate type coffee.

Sweet Maria's Puro Scuro Blend. I roasted this one a bit longer as the last couple of times I did at FC, this is FC+ for sure. I only roasted it last night, so this morning's cup was a bit unrested, but still tasted good.

I'll try some of that Brazilian you suggested.

-jim

Just tried roasting a full pound of Brazilian Moreninha Formosa, and failed to hit my target miserably due to an extremely slow first crack. Sometimes a bean will start first crack, and move through it so slowly I can never tell when it ends. I'm now stuck with a Full City to Full City + coffee (I don't even know if it hit second!) that I originally intended as a City +. This is incredibly frustrating. I have been doing full pound batches with no issue until this coffee. From now on I'll only roast this bean with 13.3oz. batches.

Just tried roasting a full pound of Brazilian Moreninha Formosa, and failed to hit my target miserably due to an extremely slow first crack. Sometimes a bean will start first crack, and move through it so slowly I can never tell when it ends. I'm now stuck with a Full City to Full City + coffee (I don't even know if it hit second!) that I originally intended as a City +. This is incredibly frustrating. I have been doing full pound batches with no issue until this coffee. From now on I'll only roast this bean with 13.3oz. batches.

It's a pretty low-density bean. It's exothermic reaction isn't enough to carry itself all the way through 1st crack. I blame the profile, not the coffee.

It needs a boost from the burner (or heating element in this case) to help push it through 1st. Not having direct access to a Behmor, I can't say which profile that would be, but if you can modify a programmed file that you don't use very often, I would suggest trying again.

I'd preheat the roaster for a minute at P1 setting, which is high heat. I even do it with the beans in their tray. Just gives the roaster a head start. I hit stop and hit the setting I want and start roasting at maximum time from there. I hate it when I'm going at P3, or step roasting, and the roaster is a little too cool......

It's a pretty low-density bean. It's exothermic reaction isn't enough to carry itself all the way through 1st crack. I blame the profile, not the coffee.

It needs a boost from the burner (or heating element in this case) to help push it through 1st. Not having direct access to a Behmor, I can't say which profile that would be, but if you can modify a programmed file that you don't use very often, I would suggest trying again.

I'd preheat the roaster for a minute at P1 setting, which is high heat. I even do it with the beans in their tray. Just gives the roaster a head start. I hit stop and hit the setting I want and start roasting at maximum time from there. I hate it when I'm going at P3, or step roasting, and the roaster is a little too cool......

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try it again when I'm done with my current batch.

Speaking of which, this is the best coffee I've had so far, and I'm regretting the fact that I only purchased two pounds. Kenya AA Kainaui Kirinyaga roasted to City+. This stuff is so bright, that I have to eat something before I drink a cup. I mean that in a very good way. Only a half pound left :sad:

Two days ago I roasted a pound of Colombian Chuchos De Tolima. This is excellent coffee roasted to City. When hot tastes very bright and dynamic, and as it cools thickens up, tastes darker, but keeps a good fruity sweetness.

Top Bottom