What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Knocked out a couple of cleanup jobs tonight, a Diamondine No7 6/8 Full Hollow by M.E. Reppenhagen Germany & an Erik Anton Berg Eskilstuna 5/8 Full Hollow. The Berg was heavily tarnished to the point of being nearly black and the Diamondine was covered in some sort of glue and minor rust spots. I wet sanded them 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and finished by polishing the scales with Flitz and the blades with Maas. These are the first razors I've cleaned up in 5 months, I'm happy to be back on the horse.
IMG_7162.JPG
IMG_7163.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cleaned up a beautiful American blade today. A Waterville Cutlery Co., Waterville "High Grade", it looks like a high end Swedish razor. I'm excited to shave with her.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Here's my first restoration project. It's a Garibaldi 201. The edge is fine and the spine looks good too. Let's not talk about how it was stored.
DSCN1602 - Garibaldi 201 - back.jpg

DSCN1601 - Garibaldi 201 - front.jpg

I cleaned up a beautiful American blade today. A Waterville Cutlery Co., Waterville "High Grade", it looks like a high end Swedish razor. I'm excited to shave with her.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I have this same razor, re-shod in bone. I hope you enjoy yours. They are great lookers!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Out of curiosity, when these were initially manufactured, would the blade etchings have black paint or enamel in them? Or were they simply etched like shown in the pictures?

Out of curiosity, when these were initially manufactured, would the blade etchings have black paint or enamel in them? Or were they simply etched like shown in the pictures?

I wouldn't be experienced enough to say, but I would bet a byproduct of the etching process would likely leave that portion tarnished?

I posted this in the Acquisitions thread, but it belongs here just as much.
Klas Törnblom that arrived on Saturday.
Before:
View attachment 807076View attachment 807077
After:
View attachment 807078View attachment 807079

I removed all the pitting and gave her a high polish. I couldn't wrap my head around how incredibly hard this Swedish steel is! I had to start out, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, & finished with a lot of Maas metal polish. It took 3 days of on and off sanding to get it to this point, approximately 7-8 hours, give or take. This steel easily took twice as long to clean up as compared to a German or Sheffield blade. Wow!

I posted this in the Acquisitions thread, but it belongs here just as much.
Klas Törnblom that arrived on Saturday.
Before:
View attachment 807076View attachment 807077
After:
View attachment 807078View attachment 807079

I removed all the pitting and gave her a high polish. I couldn't wrap my head around how incredibly hard this Swedish steel is! I had to start out, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, & finished with a lot of Maas metal polish. It took 3 days of on and off sanding to get it to this point, approximately 7-8 hours, give or take. This steel easily took twice as long to clean up as compared to a German or Sheffield blade. Wow!

Gorgeous result!! :001_tt1::em2200:

An ERN 2200.
It had a nick in the edge so I had to do some grinding.
Just finished cleaning and polishing, so left is only honing and taking her for a test drive :001_cool:

DSC_1064.JPG

After that I'll start working on my C.V. Heljestrand collection.
Not much to do though. Cleaning, buffing, honing.
DSC_1068.JPG

Top Bottom