What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

I've got several Irons in the fire so to speak.... It got me wondering if hat everyone else is working on. So, what are you sanding, rescaling, polishing, or modifying??

I just finished a tidy up on this Torrey. Ebony wood scales with a mother of pearl inlay
$IMG_4743.jpg
I shaved with it last night and it's a great blade!

Nice job! I wish I took some before pics, the scales were nearly a throwaway job, but I'm happy with how it's come out. I like the barbers notch on the tip of yours! I'm waiting on the slow boat from china to sliver me a gd66 which will get some mods, including a notch

Nice! I'm looking at picking up a few GD66 when I'm finished with my current projects, but..... that will take me a while!

Nice! I'm looking at picking up a few GD66 when I'm finished with my current projects, but..... that will take me a while!
What else is currently on your workbench pending restoration?
I alos have two English new de's on the go, straightening teeth and correcting frowns then a replate.

I'm sitting on a couple of Wade and Butchers(one Faux Frameback 7/8 & a 7/8 Genuine Bow Razor) both need sanding and polishing, a Manhattan Cutlery Co 6/8 that I need to finish the scale cleanup, an A.J. Jordan 5/8 that needs new scales, a Robeson ShurEdge 6/8 hammered tang that needs a solid cleaning(it has broken scales but will manage until I can find a replacement set, a henckels 5/8 that needs a polishing and rescale, and lastly a Jaques Lecoultre Au Sentier N2 frame back that needs to be cleaned up(need to decide if I want to sand off all the old nickel down to the steel or leave it). Needless to say I need loads of scales, but cannot afford to send them all off for beautiful one of a kind scales. So, I'll have to figure it out at home shortly. I'm up for it!

Also, don't know how to hone yet, so all these razors need to be sent out to be honed lol. Or, I need to figure out lapping film or order some stones! Straight Razors = Rabbit hole

Last edited:
I'm sitting on a couple of Wade and Butchers(one Faux Frameback 7/8 & a 7/8 Genuine Bow Razor) both need sanding and polishing, a Manhattan Cutlery Co 6/8 that I need to finish the scale cleanup, an A.J. Jordan 5/8 that needs new scales, a Robeson ShurEdge 6/8 hammered tang that needs a solid cleaning(it has broken scales but will manage until I can find a replacement set, a henckels 5/8 that needs a polishing and rescale, and lastly a Jaques Lecoultre Au Sentier N2 frame back that needs to be cleaned up(need to decide if I want to sand off all the old nickel down to the steel or leave it). Needless to say I need loads of scales, but cannot afford to send them all off for beautiful one of a kind scales. So, I'll have to figure it out at home shortly. I'm up for it!

Also, don't know how to hone yet, so all these razors need to be sent out to be honed lol. Or, I need to figure out lapping film or order some stones! Straight Razors = Rabbit hole

wow that's a big work load in front of you! If I was you, I'd send one out for honing.. the nastiest one you have.. then order some lapping film. That way you'll have a benchmark to work towards. I'm sure it's a skill you wish to aquire otherwise you wouldn't be restoring them. There's a bunch of great info on honing with films on here, just read up and start! I use them and while I'm sure it's not the ultimate edge I'm getting at the moment, it is perfectly usable. Practice practice practice..

Nice! Be sure to post pics of the gd when it's done! Mine turned up in the post today!

definitely, i have to fix the spine, it has a slight wave to it that i didnt catch until i went to hone a bit. then polish, rust bluing, scales and honing. still debating on the scale material.

$IMG_6148.jpg$IMG_6149.jpg$IMG_6151.jpg$IMG_6152.jpg$IMG_6153.jpg
Received this diamond in the rough today from Shopgoodwill. I'm ordering some lapping film, so I decided to pick up a few rough razors that I wouldn't care much about If I ruined them while honing. I wet sanded 220-320-400-600-1000-1500-2000-2500 on the blade and 1500-2000-2500 on the scales and then polished with Flitz. I think it turned out pretty well even with the pitting. I don't know how Rogers shave, but it is German steel. Excited to start honing!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have a challenging project I am about to attempt. Pickuped a very low mileage Gloubesman with a .880 wide blade for a song
because it is missing a tip. Going to give it one try to make what is not there before if gets a rescale.

$IMG_0792.jpg

$IMG_0793.jpg

$IMG_6164.JPG$IMG_6163.jpg$IMG_6161.jpg$IMG_6160.jpg$IMG_6159.jpg
Cleaned up a $7.00 Wade and Butcher French point 5/8, 1/4 Hollow this evening. Had to start 220 due to heavy rust and putting, then wet sanded 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, & 2500. Finished up with a Flitz polish. Not sure what to do with the scales, there's only one bug bite spot, but it's bad.... I may try to fill with epoxy and sand it down, I'm sure they are original.

View attachment 697230View attachment 697231View attachment 697232View attachment 697233View attachment 697234
Cleaned up a $7.00 Wade and Butcher French point 5/8, 1/4 Hollow this evening. Had to start 220 due to heavy rust and putting, then wet sanded 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, & 2500. Finished up with a Flitz polish. Not sure what to do with the scales, there's only one bug bite spot, but it's bad.... I may try to fill with epoxy and sand it down, I'm sure they are original.

nice job on the blade. I've used epoxy on the exact same problem with a good amount of success. I used a liquid pigment to color it before mixing. Powdered pigment for coloring cement will also work as will paint if needs be

nice job on the blade. I've used epoxy on the exact same problem with a good amount of success. I used a liquid pigment to color it before mixing. Powdered pigment for coloring cement will also work as will paint if needs be

Thank you, I've never heard that before, I'll start looking for pigment then!

Top Bottom