What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Fleamarket find. Couldnt afford it really but 5 euros backlash i can take. Rather heavy blade and good in condition i think. Theres always interesting opinions flowing here and often good dialogue so dont hold back guys. What would you do and how?

My thinking is the scales could go back on the razor, but they are so light, id guess the plastic scales are newer. And if im not overthinking this, the meant to be fulcrum went out to lunch as the old scales came on.
You guys think about stuff like that? It hit me the other day, that the balance might be off. Maybe it is a non sequitor.

Attachments

• 1685110375461573104253762591373.jpg
    1685110375461573104253762591373.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 27

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Stabilise the oxidation, clean up with something like Autosol, re-scale, hone and shave.

If you want better looks, after the stabilisation of the oxidation, you can sand out the rust marks using a progression of W&D before final polishing, re-scale, hone and shave.

The factory scales on the Titan ACRM-2 were starting to fall apart. No wonder, the 'pins' were two part compression rivets that weren't set correctly. The wedge was spinning and the pivot was coming apart. I considered saving the scales but I didn't want to have to fill the giant countersunk holes, re-drill, sand them down, make a wedge, etc. Plus, the wood was very green, wet actually, and very very soft. I threw them out. I pulled this bolstered set out of a parts box, they fit, and for the time this blade lives here they'll serve well. I used a Solingen pin because it was handy.

12321.jpg

“Fleamarket find.”

Look like horn scales, possibly original to the razor.

Horn can easily be repaired with horn dust, and CA glue. Sand the outside smooth and if you need more dust sand the inside over a clean sheet of paper and cookie sheet to catch the dust. Dye with shoe dye or sharpie ink for invisible repairs.

Once repaired, soak in neetsfoot oil for a couple days to rehydrate.

The razor should clean up with any good metal polish and 000 steel wool.

Double post because I know plenty of you watch this thread.

I recently scored this Dorko 444 with decorative scales. Before I do anything to this razor, I would like to polish the blade and scales.

Is it OK to use Mothers polish on the scales?

I once used fine steel wool with mineral oil or WD-40 (can't remember) on a Dubl Duck with decorative scales with no issues.

1685797222769.png

Double post because I know plenty of you watch this thread.

I recently scored this Dorko 444 with decorative scales. Before I do anything to this razor, I would like to polish the blade and scales.

Is it OK to use Mothers polish on the scales?

I once used fine steel wool with mineral oil or WD-40 (can't remember) on a Dubl Duck with decorative scales with no issues.

View attachment 1664879
I use it all the time. Beautiful razor!

Working on my very first restoration attempt. Hit some snags along the way but I'm happy with what I have so far. I made the scales out of boar bone blanks. Just got the blade pinned in. The opening/closing resistance is spot on and the alignment isn't bad, but the "Jimps" (had to look that term up so I could be specific) is rubbing slightly on the inside of the scales causing it to be a bit tight when fully closed. I'm fine with it and being that I had no idea what I was doing from the start I'm still pretty thrilled by how well it turned out, but for future projects any advice on what I did wrong here to cause the rubbing? Also any advice anywhere else would be great too. Thanks!
PXL_20230603_154301905.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230603_154246398.jpg
    PXL_20230603_154246398.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20230603_154252812.jpg
    PXL_20230603_154252812.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Working on my very first restoration attempt. Hit some snags along the way but I'm happy with what I have so far. I made the scales out of boar bone blanks. Just got the blade pinned in. The opening/closing resistance is spot on and the alignment isn't bad, but the "Jimps" (had to look that term up so I could be specific) is rubbing slightly on the inside of the scales causing it to be a bit tight when fully closed. I'm fine with it and being that I had no idea what I was doing from the start I'm still pretty thrilled by how well it turned out, but for future projects any advice on what I did wrong here to cause the rubbing? Also any advice anywhere else would be great too. Thanks!View attachment 1664997
Looks terrific . Snags along the way are good . They are what teaches you what to do and what not to do. That’s fine.
A bit snug when closed might depend on the scales . Most scales have some flex to them and the snugness isn’t as noticeable.
Whereas with bone, and depending how thick they are, might be more rigid making it feel snug as the shaft nestles into the scales. Or, it may be that the wedge isn’t bowing the scales quite enough which also spreads the scales a bit in an arch to allow the shaft to settle in. Just a couple of possibilities.

Did you make a wedge or use a spacer?

The Wedge will bow the scales and prevent rubbing, it also keeps the scales in tension, helps prevent warping and helps keep the pivot collars tight.

The wedge angle should be the same angle or close to the angle on the tang where the pivot pin is.

High domed pins can be difficult or annoying to hone and strop. You can lower the pin height, if not intentional and cut your pins too long, just file a bit off the top and peen smooth.

You did get them smooth and symmetrical. Polish them with a dab of metal polish on a paper towel or with a buffer and Green Stainless compound.

The Agony and the Ecstasy.
If you’re old enough you know I’m ripping off a classic movie.
Not really ecstasy but a guy traveled across 2 states to have me repair legs /pieces for one of 3 custom player pianos
From the early 1900’s 2 others owned by late Hollywood celebrities and he has the third.
Kinda cool. But it’s what I do . The agony part of this is one of the guys he came with said, after seeing my razor collection , was,,,

“ gee Mark, I wish I knew you 6-8 months ago. My brother in law passed away and was a barber shop supplier for nearly 40 years . Cleaning out his basement we found Dozens of old razors in sealed cardboard boxes and didn’t know what to do with them. So we sold them at our yard sale for $5.00.
If I knew you I’d have just given them to you”

Oh,,, the agony!

I wanted to say,, yeah, I had my great grandfathers piano and I chopped it up for firewood.

What the piano will look like.
And the parts I initially have
And will restore. The
Lyre looking piece I’ll just remake as
It’s too badly damaged.
And take apart the bench. Re-carve some parts and reassemble..
Not a razor. But a sorta razor story.

Oh , and the third guy, his business is making reproductions of the paper rolls in a high tech material as paper rolls wear easily . And he’s using a duplicating machine built in the later 1800’s.
Just too cool what
Some guys do. I never would have imagined.

I’ll do it all in walnut as I don’t work with timber. That’s for forts and log cabins . I’m a wood worker.
And this doesn’t look like timber type results.

That’s what’s on my bench.
More razors to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_2973.jpeg
    IMG_2973.jpeg
    901.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2974.jpeg
    IMG_2974.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2971.jpeg
    IMG_2971.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2970.jpeg
    IMG_2970.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2969.jpeg
    IMG_2969.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2967.jpeg
    IMG_2967.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2963.jpeg
    IMG_2963.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2964.jpeg
    IMG_2964.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2959.png
    IMG_2959.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2962.jpeg
    IMG_2962.jpeg
    790.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
My first ever “rehab” I’m not going to call it a restoration.
A crusty EBay Henry Sears & Son I bought for $12.50. I’m eventually going to replace the premade scales I bought. I find a couple deer antler sheds every year so I might try those. Honed it up tonight and shaved with it. Didn’t turn out too bad for my first go at it.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 25
My first ever “rehab” I’m not going to call it a restoration.
A crusty EBay Henry Sears & Son I bought for $12.50. I’m eventually going to replace the premade scales I bought. I find a couple deer antler sheds every year so I might try those. Honed it up tonight and shaved with it. Didn’t turn out too bad for my first go at it.
Looks terrific.
I posted mine recently .
Restored it a while ago. Bought 2 . One had a good blade,, eventually found one with decent scales .

Attachments

• IMG_3009.jpeg
    IMG_3009.jpeg
    738.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3010.jpeg
    IMG_3010.jpeg
    623.3 KB · Views: 21
Looks terrific.
I posted mine recently .
Restored it a while ago. Bought 2 . One had a good blade,, eventually found one with decent scales .
Whoa, those scales are gorgeous. I have a saved search on EBay for another Queen just in case one is posted with a bad blade but good scales at a decent price.

Whoa, those scales are gorgeous. I have a saved search on EBay for another Queen just in case one is posted with a bad blade but good scales at a decent price.
Thanks.
They’re a bit uncommon. But I thought the original scales looked unique enough I wanted them. Too
Bad the blade was shot but could salvage the scales.
Good luck in your search.

Did you make a wedge or use a spacer?

The Wedge will bow the scales and prevent rubbing, it also keeps the scales in tension, helps prevent warping and helps keep the pivot collars tight.

The wedge angle should be the same angle or close to the angle on the tang where the pivot pin is.

High domed pins can be difficult or annoying to hone and strop. You can lower the pin height, if not intentional and cut your pins too long, just file a bit off the top and peen smooth.

You did get them smooth and symmetrical. Polish them with a dab of metal polish on a paper towel or with a buffer and Green Stainless compound.
I made the wedge myself, and I believe that is where I went wrong. The pinning sticks out because of the washers that came in the pinning kit I purchased online. I can't even remember where I got it from, I purchased it and it sat for a while before I started the project. The washers were not flat they were cup shaped which I thought was interesting at first but I don't think I would use them again.

Nothing too special, but I pinned and rescaled a razor for the first time. I did one practice round on a junk razor then did this one.

It’s a nice blade that came with warped and shrunken scales that wouldn’t stay tight. The donor scales are ugly as sin, but they’re all I had. I’ll be on the lookout for nicer ones. In the mean time I’m looking forward to getting this blade back into rotation!

Shown with the original garbage scales. I only repinned the pivot end, I left the wedge as it came.

IMG_1491.jpeg

Congrats on the pinning, @Seelector! It's a nice feeling to be able to disassemble a razor and then put it back together.

It took me a long time to become proficient at peening and pinning. My problem was, after reading all the stories about hitting the pin too hard, I wasn't hitting the thing hard enough :).

Top Bottom