What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

1/16". I could have gone a little bigger though, I had trouble centering on the pin as I got deeper (and the original holes are a little bigger).

I need to mockup a peened pin and try drilling it out. The challenge I have is that my old eyes are just not as sharp as they used to be. If I had a third arm to hold my magnifying glass, I would be good.

I need to mockup a peened pin and try drilling it out. The challenge I have is that my old eyes are just not as sharp as they used to be. If I had a third arm to hold my magnifying glass, I would be good.
So with this one, since it was already broken, I started by drilling out the pin from the blade. That was easy since the pivot hole was the guide. After that I started drilling the pins out of the scales from the outside. I hit them with a file first to flatten them a little and give the bit something to bite. I don't know if it's normal for brass but the pins just ground down into shavings. The nickel pins I drilled out of my other razor formed a very thin wire and spiraled up the bit. Eventually with the brass pins the drilling was a little uneven so I VERY GENTLY tapped them out a smidge from the backside using a tiny nail set and a 2 oz hammer, just enough to grab the other side with a small flush cutter and ease them out. I wouldn't have done this but my bit was wanting to walk into the ivory inside the hole and I didn't want to widen it any.

I used a new Irwin bit, choked into the chuck as far as it would go. Slow and steady.

Legion

Staff member
61ebFDMQ2zL._AC_SL1482_.jpg

Well, a nice surprise. This one took a clean edge in spite some pitting that had me worried. I decided to pin it back into the ivory preemptively. Test shave tonight.

Probably should have unpinned the wedge and redrilled it or maybe even replaced it because it's a little tighter fit than I'd like. That wasn't obvious until I had it back together though, and I'm not doing it now. Unfortunately there's still a little discoloration from the corroded old pins but this old soldier will live to shave another day.
20210808_170403.jpg

Just starting a new project. Will be my first straight razor, but not my first knife.

1628714391827.png

I started a new thread just so I can keep track of replies, etc. More details and pictures there.

First pair of horn scales and camel bone wedge - to replace the white acrylic scales I put on the Dorko 43. My new Harbor Freight belt sander really helped. Still took me a long time. I may not be the fastest tool in the shed, but I am happy with how they turned out. Now I just need to reassemble the razor.

20210815_224016472_iOS.jpg

I received a few razors at the same time. Two just needed some light sanding, but this Hellberg needed more attention. In addition to some nasty rust, particular on the back side near the toe, the wedge had fallen out and one of the plastic scales was chipped at the end. I had some black horn scales that I made a few months ago that have been looking for a new home, so after knocking back the rust a bit I put the new scales on. Still not very pretty, but at least I won’t feel like I need a tetanus shot before using it. I went easy on the front and the Skyddes Marke is still visible. All that is left is the honing (including removing a small chip right at the toe). This style, with no shoulder, is my favorite grind style. Below is the before and after.

18BC81D5-EFA0-4B94-B594-84B12AF034EA.jpeg

49FF7487-ADC9-4268-8E4B-BB83DC41AB26.jpeg
B84D07CB-0EE3-4841-8F74-58041B1ADAD6.jpeg

After
44F78490-C686-46DF-9B4E-92581E0D7045.jpeg
7D8B17AC-F49D-4628-8200-79F41068D1FD.jpeg
CC59B1AB-0264-42E9-A54B-E194636D605D.jpeg

Been working on a set of scales for the Maggard 6/8 blade I bought last month (it came sans scales). Finally finished the main scales today. They came out a bit darker than I had been thinking so will go with a white wedge, which still needs to be made. While I am comfortable applying CA glue to turned objects as a finish, I wasn’t sure how to do that with scales, so stuck with a homemade wax treatment that I had put together for food-safe objects. Hope to be shaving with this in a few weeks if I don’t get distracted!

4032C1C2-E79F-47BB-9A2C-79A3B090F263.jpeg

I copied the trashed out scales on my Joseph Rodgers 6/8 inch frameback, using the original wedge. This time I got the scales as thin as the originals. I have to say that I really like the shape that Joseph Rodgers used. I lost a bit of the point on the top scale when I thinned it.

View attachment 1316697

Go up grits to 6000 then polish with novus no2 and those will be like a sheet of glass or white buffing compound

Been working on a set of scales for the Maggard 6/8 blade I bought last month (it came sans scales). Finally finished the main scales today. They came out a bit darker than I had been thinking so will go with a white wedge, which still needs to be made. While I am comfortable applying CA glue to turned objects as a finish, I wasn’t sure how to do that with scales, so stuck with a homemade wax treatment that I had put together for food-safe objects. Hope to be shaving with this in a few weeks if I don’t get distracted!

View attachment 1319175

That's going to look stunning when it's done looking forward to seeing it.

Hi Frank, its Butternut, which I’ve read is sometimes refered to as “white walnut”. I also have read that the stripe bands only appear on quartersawn lumber. So the different color bands are each different rings of the tree. You can also see lines going across the rings, those really didn’t show up until I sanded the wood finely and it didn’t really pop until the wax was applied.

I got this initially as a pair of 6”x2”x0.5” chunks sold as knife handle blanks from a guy at an antique market. I then (with somewhat mixed results) sliced it into thinner pieces on a band saw. This was one of the thicker pieces. Final scales are about 2.5mm thick.

Hard to comprehend that with that little pile of cool woods at my disposal, I would be working with some rock hard China pallet wood! I wanted to see what it looked like, so I hacked out a pair of scales. Turns out, I like them enough to put a well- used Pipe Razor in them. Still some work to do on that!

20210901_211821.jpg

20210901_212153.jpg

20210901_212217.jpg

I received a few razors at the same time. Two just needed some light sanding, but this Hellberg needed more attention. In addition to some nasty rust, particular on the back side near the toe, the wedge had fallen out and one of the plastic scales was chipped at the end. I had some black horn scales that I made a few months ago that have been looking for a new home, so after knocking back the rust a bit I put the new scales on. Still not very pretty, but at least I won’t feel like I need a tetanus shot before using it. I went easy on the front and the Skyddes Marke is still visible. All that is left is the honing (including removing a small chip right at the toe). This style, with no shoulder, is my favorite grind style. Below is the before and after.

View attachment 1315317
View attachment 1315318View attachment 1315319

After
View attachment 1315320View attachment 1315321View attachment 1315322

2Bit has skid marks... 2Bit has skid marks...

View attachment 1319175

I fold up squares of paper towel, just like turning, I believe. Then I do 4 or 5 coats, sand it flat (or almost flat) with 600 wet. 4 or 5 more, then sand 600 to 1.5k and Novus on the buffer. I like to sand the second coats completely flat with the 600 (usually wiping dry to check it several times), then quickly hit it with the remaining grits. Be really careful sanding the edges and ends!

Top Bottom