What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Finally finished the Tilmes blade - “Tilmes Garantie” 6/8”near wedge blade married to Yew scales with snakewood wedge brass linings (no idea on the blade age but the blade is very heavy and fairly roughly made...)

The yew was sourced less than a mile from my house at Abington Sawmill & Firewood :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made some progress on the Indian Ebony scales, but I have a little touch-up to do. You can see on the extreme lower right of the top scale I sanded through the CA. Just enough to bother me. Other than that, I'm liking them!

20200928_221113.jpg

Got a nice package in the mail today....

20200929_213601.jpg

A bag o' French rust!

I figured to get 3 or 4 good ones and that looks to (at least) be the case. Hey, I live in the snowbelt, where winter sucks, even in years we are allowed to do the few things at our disposal! This year, I may be reduced to wearing my fingers away sanding blades for entertainment.

This! Ain't she a beaut'?

20201003_220545.jpg

Okay. You are a pretty sharp bunch of lads. You would not have to see many pieces of this caliber before the jig was up, anyway. Here goes (heavy exhale). I have been holding back on you. My name is Jon and I am a world famous artisanal craftsman of custom violins. I deeply regret that I didn't divulge this information earlier, but I was afraid that you might be intimidated to the point that our normal, friendly discourse would be awkward, if not impossible.

In actuality, given that the success of virtually any project I have ever undertaken has been determined solely by the degree of recovery from my mistakes, I shall forge ahead. I'll post the results regardless. However, a warning is in order. You had better not poke fun at me. Our strict societal code will not allow me to delve into details, but let's just say that Ninjas invariably cross the street when they see me coming. IF they see me coming...

This! Ain't she a beaut'?

View attachment 1164197

Okay. You are a pretty sharp bunch of lads. You would not have to see many pieces of this caliber before the jig was up, anyway. Here goes (heavy exhale). I have been holding back on you. My name is Jon and I am a world famous artisanal craftsman of custom violins. I deeply regret that I didn't divulge this information earlier, but I was afraid that you might be intimidated to the point that our normal, friendly discourse would be awkward, if not impossible.

In actuality, given that the success of virtually any project I have ever undertaken has been determined solely by the degree of recovery from my mistakes, I shall forge ahead. I'll post the results regardless. However, a warning is in order. You had better not poke fun at me. Our strict societal code will not allow me to delve into details, but let's just say that Ninjas invariably cross the street when they see me coming. IF they see me coming...
The Indian Ebony turned out awesome! I think i need to order me some of that asap! Great work Jon

The Indian Ebony turned out awesome! I think i need to order me some of that asap! Great work Jon

Thanks! Yeah, it's a nice looking wood. Pricey, though. It cost me almost 2 bucks for those scales! I was hoping that the lighter streaks would go well with the covered tang and am very happy with it. Boy, that olive wood mess, though. That might we'll be another story!

Thanks! Yeah, it's a nice looking wood. Pricey, though. It cost me almost 2 bucks for those scales! I was hoping that the lighter streaks would go well with the covered tang and am very happy with it. Boy, that olive wood mess, though. That might we'll be another story!
What do you mean by a mess, hard to cut or to finish? i have very little experience in the exotic hard woods to be honest.

What do you mean by a mess, hard to cut or to finish? i have very little experience in the exotic hard woods to be honest.

No, the wood wasn't a problem in and of itself. The problem is that I suck and greatly exceeded my abilities with the inlay attempt! Just little things, though. You know, like a straight line attempt with a router results in a perfect sine wave...of varying depths. I think, if it even comes to fruition, that the back scale will be very pretty.

Reactions: CCR
Top Bottom