What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

i don't recall seeing any 4/8s of the last couple years i've been watching, most appear to be ~11/16.

I'm inclined to call this a genuine 4/8 for a couple of reasons:

1. although not a complete traditional stabilizer on the heel.....it fades naturally to the heel.

2. absence of heavy grind on the blade in the usual suspect areas.

3. spine is not jacked up like some of the WB's I've seen.

4. no abnormalities or odd hone wear throughout the blade edge. edge is straight favoring neither the toe or heel. (which I'm finding is rare when encountering antique/older razors)

wish there was literature available to use.

camo

Kropp in need of love...

E2F5A9D3-8B25-473F-869F-A4AB108605A9.jpeg
821A842E-D5E8-47B5-9212-4403EB523C91.jpeg

pinned this morn and bevel pretty much set. no probs with arm hair or maraschino cherries. may run a little more on 1.5 kuromaku then on through the progression. not much more time today. festivity preparations........

20200703_090642.jpg

specific razor for Bay Rum day!!!!!

camo

pinned this morn and bevel pretty much set. no probs with arm hair or maraschino cherries. may run a little more on 1.5 kuromaku then on through the progression. not much more time today. festivity preparations........

View attachment 1121024

specific razor for Bay Rum day!!!!!

camo

overall shape and taper of blade looks to be good too.....for an itsy bitsy razor.

20200703_122525.jpg

remembered to polish front of toe this time too!!!!

camo

overall shape and taper of blade looks to be good too.....for an itsy bitsy razor.

View attachment 1121088

remembered to polish front of toe this time too!!!!

camo

who am I kidding.....finished up today. clips belly hair with authority. had to borrow hair from wifes brush.....she is over in the buckeye state today. pleasantly passed HHT over multiple places on the blade.......might have to be a Bay Rum day tommorow!!!!!!

that will be all for now........until my Filarmonica 13 arrives next Thurs.........

camo

Grabbed a few bargains that arrived yesterday. As I am waiting on the wood to stabilize to do new scales for the Greeves I took a lucky gal for a date.

Screenshot_20200701-043401.png

Screenshot_20200701-043332.png

A bath and the royal treatment. New Buffalo horn scales.

MVIMG_20200704_061812.jpg

I was a little rough with her but she'll thank me in the morn. 😌

I'm inclined to call this a genuine 4/8 for a couple of reasons:

1. although not a complete traditional stabilizer on the heel.....it fades naturally to the heel.

2. absence of heavy grind on the blade in the usual suspect areas.

3. spine is not jacked up like some of the WB's I've seen.

4. no abnormalities or odd hone wear throughout the blade edge. edge is straight favoring neither the toe or heel. (which I'm finding is rare when encountering antique/older razors)

wish there was literature available to use.

camo

For me, one of the tell tale signs of a 4/8 , smaller razor, is the size of the shank.
Its all relative. When you see a 7/16, 5/8, with a manly sized shank you know what it once was.
Also, the size of the shoulder grind hollows. They are smaller than a large razors.
They used different sized wheels for different sized razors - they had too. I have no proof of this, only common sense. I have an extremely well ground 4/8 full hollow razor. It would simply not be possible with a larger wheel grinder.
I really don't like using them so mine sees no whiskers.
Hope you like yours.

For me, one of the tell tale signs of a 4/8 , smaller razor, is the size of the shank.
Its all relative. When you see a 7/16, 5/8, with a manly sized shank you know what it once was.
Also, the size of the shoulder grind hollows. They are smaller than a large razors.
They used different sized wheels for different sized razors - they had too. I have no proof of this, only common sense. I have an extremely well ground 4/8 full hollow razor. It would simply not be possible with a larger wheel grinder.
Hope you like yours.

So it sounds like you agree it’s an oem 4/8?

Hope you like yours.

hadn't thought about relative shank size.

I would think 4/8 then. shank is itsy bitsy too!!! I dont think this razor saw any or little use. edge was very straight with little wear.

thanks all for your opinions on this.

and happy 4th!!!

camo

Last edited:
i'll have to check if i even have a 4/8s, oem or otherwise, i doubt it. The 14s definitely have a much larger shank and overall profile, but i've had a 6/8s swedish blade, iirc, that had such a think shank it rolled in between my fingers too easily for my comfort. I have a Dorko seven day set where the shanks are much thinner than i expected, but also concaved and jimped, so a very different feel, compared to a similar size CVH set.

Fun with two razors today.

First up was a 7/8” Joseph Rogers from FleaBay.
IMG_20200704_114601.jpgIMG_20200704_114617.jpg
Tom her apart to get the rust in the pivot and plan to replace the scales.
IMG_20200704_131319.jpg
Cleaned her up with 1000, 3000, 5000, and Flitz.
IMG_20200704_145452.jpg

She was then joined by a CVH MK No 22 for a little dress shopping. The CVH ended up with a pair of recycled bone scales, and the Rodgers will have to suffer through my first stent at from-scratch scale making.
IMG_20200704_150857.jpg
Got the CVH fitted and pinned. Ready for honing tomorrow.
IMG_20200704_155131.jpgIMG_20200704_155154.jpg
And got as far as making the Rodgers template on the brown horn blank.
IMG_20200704_155753.jpg

Tomorrow will be cutting, shaping, polishing, and fitting the Rodgers scales. Then honing for these two and a Taylor's Eye Witness 1000 that came in last week.

I love a long weekend...

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_155116.jpg
    IMG_20200704_155116.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
Fun with two razors today.

First up was a 7/8” Joseph Rogers from FleaBay.
View attachment 1121783View attachment 1121784
Tom her apart to get the rust in the pivot and plan to replace the scales.
View attachment 1121785
Cleaned her up with 1000, 3000, 5000, and Flitz.
View attachment 1121786
She was then joined by a CVH MK No 22 for a little dress shopping. The CVH ended up with a pair of recycled bone scales, and the Rodgers will have to suffer through my first stent at from-scratch scale making.
View attachment 1121787
Got the CVH fitted and pinned. Ready for honing tomorrow.
View attachment 1121789View attachment 1121790
And got as far as making the Rodgers template on the brown horn blank.
View attachment 1121791

Tomorrow will be cutting, shaping, polishing, and fitting the Rodgers scales. Then honing for these two and a Taylor's Eye Witness 1000 that came in last week.

I love a long weekend...

all kinds of fun going on there......

u can send the mk no. 22 my way and ill finish that up for you!!!!!!

camo

Well it took way more work than I had anticipated... But the Greeves n Sons is done.

A block of Macassar ebony wood. I don't have a table saw and I didn't trust any other power tool, so I sawed off the blanks by hand. This stuff is HAAAARD!

MVIMG_20200630_010640.jpg

Then to shape the handle, I wanted a nice TI shape but with a more pronounced point. I also like to epoxy those ol' hole punched tangs so I can re-drill for a snug fit.

MVIMG_20200706_184703.jpg

Finally, for the finish. Now this I will say... was a b*tch. Because it is an oily wood and because I had heard good things, I decided to try my first attempt at a CA glue finish. Went with nickel wedge and pins.

Here is the result:

MVIMG_20200711_021632.jpg

Learned quite a bit doing the finish. Although it wasn't perfect I will probably do all wood finishes with CA from now on. It really seals and protects it and man does it make that grain pop!

Here's to adding a classy dime piece to my collection boys. :c18:

I just finished these scales for a beautiful Thiers Issard, Le Grilot, for an SR shaver near Baton Rouge. Red spruce scales laminated to black acrylic with an amber wedge and brass, rosette collars. The spine work on this blade is beautiful.

Attachments

• Slantfin.jpg
    Slantfin.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Presentationfin2.jpg
    Presentationfin2.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Backsidefin.jpg
    Backsidefin.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 32
  • BackSlant finfin.jpg
    BackSlant finfin.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Just completed a Greaves & Sons restoration. Nice 6/8 near wedge with snakewood scales, brass bullseye collars and an amber wedge.

Attachments

• Slant 2.jpg
    Slant 2.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 22
  • Presentation2.jpg
    Presentation2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Head on near wedge.jpg
    Head on near wedge.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Backside.jpg
    Backside.jpg