What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

It seems to be good, but I did notice that where the stampings are it did not blue aswell as the rest. Just a hunch I wonder if the stamping alters the metal in some way making it harder to blue...

It seems to be good, but I did notice that where the stampings are it did not blue aswell as the rest. Just a hunch I wonder if the stamping alters the metal in some way making it harder to blue...
It's hard to say because not knowing when in the process the stamping occured ?? How it was done etc etc....what the blades steel type is, is the steel subject to work hardening... blablabla did the pixies fart on it lol!

Iwasaki tamahagane. Had some rust and pitting towards the spine on one side and few spots in the middle on the other. I managed to save the original collars. The tang needs some more work, a friend of mine said - dont be lazy and go back :)

IMG_3942.JPG
IMG_3944.JPG
IMG_3945.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 12.19.04 PM.png

Iwasaki tamahagane. Had some rust and pitting towards the spine on one side and few spots in the middle on the other. I managed to save the original collars. The tang needs some more work, a friend of mine said - dont be lazy and go back :)

View attachment 1027684View attachment 1027685View attachment 1027686
View attachment 1027687

Congratulations Alex!!! That has sure come up nice for sure, beautiful restore have you got the scales or having to make some. As a lot of the Japanese scales are a clear translucent colour, for some reason they set the blades off big time looking forward to seeing it finished.

Congratulations Alex!!! That has sure come up nice for sure, beautiful restore have you got the scales or having to make some. As a lot of the Japanese scales are a clear translucent colour, for some reason they set the blades off big time looking forward to seeing it finished.

Thank you Ian.
Yes the original scales, black, are in great condition, they actually have the Tamahagane sticker on them as well. I will be off work for the next few days so hopefully I can finish it and post some more pics.
I am glad the scales are good because I never have tried to make scales.

Thank you Ian.
Yes the original scales, black, are in great condition, they actually have the Tamahagane sticker on them as well. I will be off work for the next few days so hopefully I can finish it and post some more pics.
I am glad the scales are good because I never have tried to make scales.

Looking forward to seeing it finished Alex...

Well folks this arrived in the mail this morning a J. R. Torrey barbers notch.
The blade needs a good clean with spit an polish & a touch of elbow grease, the scales are warped and the show side has a crack up to the pivot pin.
So I had better crack on and get her stripped, now this has got me a wondering I might make a change on the scales as these are no good so I cannot reuse them.

1.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Should I have a go at making new scales but with a blade snap, just to see how it looks I have put another Torrey above this one so you know what I mean.

6.jpg

Now is a good idea or a bad one, I will leave it with you Gents to guide me on this Choice while I have a....

:pipe: :pipe: :pipe:& a beer or 2.....

I've only had one razor with blade snaps, and IMHO, they are not aesthetically pleasing. To me they ruin the generally sleek lines of the razor. However, they do add an interesting and functional element. I've only seen them on Torreys, so for me they do fit within the "authentic restore" goals.

My vote would be to add the snaps if you don't already have some in your collection. If you already have some nice examples, then I'd go without for this razor.

No new aquisitions for me sadly.. but I am working some hide which may lead to more razors .. here's a pic of the vacuum/boning process... If it's not appropriate here MODS please either remove or move thanks!
IMG_20191027_085348.jpg
IMG_20191027_090152.jpg

oh and also a coin purse ;)
IMG_20191022_200801_01.jpg
IMG_20191022_200850_01.jpg
IMG_20191022_200902_01.jpg

Update on my post above J. R. Torrey barbers notch well I have got the scales cut out and shaped, I have made 2 sets one with a blade snap and the other without. I just need to make the wedge then I can get the job finished so here is a view of them.

6.jpg
7.jpg

But I can say is this is going to look good when finished.....

Update on the J. R. Torrey barbers notch.
And yes I have taken Alan's advice here is his quote....

My vote would be to add the snaps if you don't already have some in your collection. If you already have some nice examples, then I'd go without for this razor.

And yes I have one with the blade snap, so that's why I went with Alan on this one so on to the eye candy of a J. R. Torrey barbers notch.....

How it looked

1.jpg

And now how it looks.... Scales are Red Transparent with a bone wedge, nickel silver pins, and washers..

20191103_203717.jpg
20191103_203951.jpg
20191103_204137.jpg
20191103_204318.jpg
20191103_204614.jpg

Just got to hone her ready for Torrey Tuesday's Shave

Last edited:
Update on the J. R. Torrey barbers notch.
And yes I have taken Alan's advice here is his quote....

And yes I have one with the blade snap, so that's why I went with Alan on this one so on to the eye candy of a J. R. Torrey barbers notch.....

How it looked

View attachment 1031709

And now how it looks....

View attachment 1031710View attachment 1031711View attachment 1031712View attachment 1031713View attachment 1031714

Just got to hone her ready for Torrey Tuesday's Shave
SWEET!!!

Thank you Sanch!!!

Eye candy indeed! That turned out beautifully. Love the clean lines and emphasis on the blade with the pop of the clear red. Gorgeous!

Thank you Alan!!! I am pleased I went with your choice and admit it does have clean lines, as these razors have fantastic blades and look stunning in there own right. I am surprised that Torrey did not make any with Transparent scales that I know or aware of so why hide it behind black scales.....

Three on the table today...
View attachment 1039606
Top to bottom:
W. Greaves & Sons FBU
Frederick Reynolds FBU
W. Greaves & Sons big ol' Sheaf Works barber notch

Alan those should come up beautiful, the bottom one you might need to bush the pin hole back down to the 1/16th as it looks on the larger size. It is going to look stunning once done back into horn scales.

Just needs scales and an edge
View attachment 1039692

That's going to look a mighty fine razor when done, what have you got planned for It horn or acrylic.

Top Bottom