What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

A little rescaling and repinning today...
View attachment 1188188
The Silver Ring had been pinned at the pinot with a nail, functional but unaesthetic. The Taylor's broke a scale.
View attachment 1188189View attachment 1188190

The Silver Ring was no trouble aside from getting the dang nail out. Replaced it with a proper nickle-silver pin and washers.
View attachment 1188191
The Taylor's actually got a pair of old horn scales that I reshaped. The original plastic wedge is a little big, but I'll trim it down later.

The end results...
View attachment 1188192

Now for a full hone in the Silver Ring and a touch up on the Taylor's. But that's a different thread...

ABSOLUTELY gorgeous! Am I understanding you right? The scales on the Taylor are reshaped scales that were broken? Outstanding work.

The scales on the Taylor are reshaped scales that were broken? Outstanding work.

Well, the scales in the first picture of the Taylor's were original. Hard plastic scales that broke near the pivot.

I replaced them with a pair of antique horn scales from another razor. Those were bug-bitten and too wide for the Taylor's, so I sanded them down to remove most of the damage and profile them for the Taylor's. The result is in the second picture of the Taylor's.

So now the scales are probably twice the age of the razor. Most definitely not historically correct. But hey... I like horn scales.

The Golden Oldies (continued)...

Well boys, I believe we may have found a replacement for the travesty that was the Hans Linz 8/8 (top) which came with a crack in the edge. Although the Linz can never truly be replaced, I happened to come across another extremely rare specimen with very similar specs. A Southern & Richardson Wheeldon Works 8/8 (bottom) in damn good condition.

Extremely thankful for this opportunity, I'll be aiming to get it back to as close to original condition as possible.

PXL_20201129_221816029.MP.jpg

very cool. Love the sweep profile of the edge.

Riiight! You can imagine how devastated I was over the Hans, but this one is soooo close to a match except like you said the sweep is much more pronounced. I'm really in love with both of them, I think I might still clean up the one with the crack as well as a few others that have sadly met the same demise and do a "Retirement party" in a shadowbox.

It's the reeeeeallllly superb rarities that hurt the most when this sorta thing occurs. I hate the guys who play hot potato with them rather than giving them a meaningful decommissioning.
🔥🔥🔥🥔🔥🔥🔥

I have a sweet spot for Kropps. Years ago, I got my granddad’s straight razor and it it an ivory handled Kropp — but very thin.

Recently, I got a deal on this one. It’s wide at 13/16ths.

Here it is before and after a rub down with steel wool and polish. This will restore nicely.

The wood scales had large pins that went through wider copper rod stock. You can see it where I ground out the pivot pin.

40F9D104-4807-44C7-9AD3-1D3FFE21EC51.jpeg

531BE795-469E-4D7D-9FF9-521EEB5C7353.jpeg

I enjoy Kropp razors, thin grinds with great steel and amazing edges. I’ve never seen one that does not shave brilliantly, no matter the condition.
View attachment 1192181
View attachment 1192182
View attachment 1192183

I have a sweet spot for Kropps. Years ago, I got my granddad’s straight razor and it it an ivory handled Kropp — but very thin.

Recently, I got a deal on this one. It’s wide at 13/16ths.

Here it is before and after a rub down with steel wool and polish. This will restore nicely.

The wood scales had large pins that went through wider copper rod stock. You can see it where I ground out the pivot pin.

View attachment 1192085

View attachment 1192086

Have you guys seen the ones that are KNOPP's?! I got one cheap and it a actually turned out to be a Kropp under all the crud, which I wasn't displeased at all about. But I wonder if they are just the same or if that was an attempt to profit off of the "close enough" game. It happened with all sorts of makes throughout the times so I wouldn't be surprised.

EVERYONE LOVES A KROPP!

Have you guys seen the ones that are KNOPP's?! I got one cheap and it a actually turned out to be a Kropp under all the crud, which I wasn't displeased at all about. But I wonder if they are just the same or if that was an attempt to profit off of the "close enough" game. It happened with all sorts of makes throughout the times so I wouldn't be surprised.

EVERYONE LOVES A KROPP!
They used the wrong letter stamp. I've seen other mistakes like BFST instead of BEST.

I just bought this recently and stumbled on it on the bay. It’s a F. Koeller & Co., Ohligs Germany, Paramount razor. The only cosmetic flaw is the repaired scale but seems to be a solid repair so I can live with it. I love the ornate spine and unfortunately most of the gold wash is gone. I will try and preserve the wash of what’s left on the spine carvings. Hope you guys like, restored pics to follow on this one!

Larry

0E6DCD30-0C52-4A84-9D71-2622E355CAA3.jpeg

1E5FE529-76F8-4FCF-83E2-E5444D3D0A68.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I just bought this recently and stumbled on it on the bay. It’s a F. Koeller & Co., Ohligs Germany, Paramount razor. The only cosmetic flaw is the repaired scale but seems to be a solid repair so I can live with it. I love the ornate spine and unfortunately most of the gold wash is gone. I will try and preserve the wash of what’s left on the spine carvings. Hope you guys like, restored pics to follow on this one!

Larry

View attachment 1195622

View attachment 1195620
That's a nice looking razor. I like the spine, that would have been an expensive razor when it was new.

Just got in this lovely, swoopy 7/8 W&B. I took a bit of a gamble but am very glad I did! I'm hoping that some Flitz, perhaps with steel wool, can remove the rust and allow me to not do a bunch of sanding. It's got a nice patina that I would like to preserve.

20201217_225028.jpg

20201217_225055.jpg

20201217_225124.jpg

20201217_225250.jpg

The scales were toast, with the back side showing up as a set of three. While completely non-traditional, I have a block of resinated cactus bits inbound that I may press into service for this one. I expect some will think it blasphemous, but I think it might look cool! If not, they can always be replaced.

Resin Cactus Blank.jpg

I expect some will think it blasphemous, but I think it might look cool!

That blank is awesome looking! I don't know what you are talking about blaspheming, but that things looks great! If it doesn't work for your scales send it over to me and I will cut a brush out of it :)

I have a couple of that W&B razor and one that someone shortened (and needed help), and I really like those for some reason.

That blank is awesome looking! I don't know what you are talking about blaspheming, but that things looks great! If it doesn't work for your scales send it over to me and I will cut a brush out of it :)

I have a couple of that W&B razor and one that someone shortened (and needed help), and I really like those for some reason.

A brush. I was thinking the same! I have been feeling the need to acquire a lathe of late... But, for now, my biggest decision will be which edge to cut for the scales.

A brush. I was thinking the same! I have been feeling the need to acquire a lathe of late... But, for now, my biggest decision will be which edge to cut for the scales.

For the scales, I would go with the end-grain flower-petal looking sides. Pure opinion, but aesthetically much nicer and more interesting.

I think the hybrid stuff comes out really nice in brushes. Actually, looking at dogwood brushes and a few others is what stimulated me to turn the lathes back on.

Just finished re-scaling!
All I know about this razor is "J.A.Hellberg Near wedge"
View attachment 1193473View attachment 1193474View attachment 1193475
The history behind the razor:
J.A. (Johan Alfred) Hellberg (1860-1941) started out as a straight razor apprentice before setting up a business of his own in 1891. This beautiful razor is very typical for his earliest razors; a long near wedge blade with a Spanish point. You can also see that “Sweden” doesn’t quite fit in on the tang but is “squeezed in” by the pivot. This was common practice on the razors in the 1890’s after the US regulation of 1890/1891 that stipulated that razors imported to the USA had to have the country of origin on the tang. I don’t have to tell you that the scales aren’t original. The original scales were made of celluloid with an early Art Noveau/Art Deco motif.

Below is a link to another specimen of the very same razor model in its original scales (this specimen is in much better condition than the one I own. One day I'll get a specimen with a blade in better shape and dress it in the beautiful and well preserved scales from the one I've got)

Blade, brush and stone. I'm happy to report that Flitz and 0000 steel wool got that blade right in my restoration happy zone! The brush was dyed with steel wool/vinegar oxidation solution, as well as homemade black walnut dye. It's in about a dozen coats of CA, waiting to be sanded and polished. The coticule came with the W&B. They had belonged to the seller's Dad, so I promised her I would try to bring them back in a manner befitting his honor. Honestly, I had no hope for the rock! Read some things and gave it a shot. There is CA over the decorative azurite powder, so any steel should be safe.

20201220_224926.jpg

Before:

Coticule W&B.jpg

Top Bottom