What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

now

IMG_2947.jpg
IMG_2949.JPG

Sheffield’s contribution to the War Department effort -1860

View attachment 1151828
OK eventually had some time to finish this razor. I had to do some research, ok my wife did research about this razor. It’s a Maleham & Yeomans straight. The razor was made before the invention of celluloid plastic and sport pressed leather scales. There is a W^D2 mark stamped on the leather scales that was the designation for the British War Department, Not sure if this was for hospital use or soldier issue, if you guys know it would be great to hear your feedback.

11/16 Maleham & Yeomans Half Hollow Square Poin (1860’s)
B8F61FA6-27EC-4625-981A-833558502F3E.jpeg

67708064-D47D-4C75-9BE8-39AE2F7BD925.jpeg

EA04E227-85B5-4027-A59C-FD132F71CE38.jpeg

Thank you Dean!!!! I'm getting use to it now just need to work out how to get the pins with a nice round top, but i have just done 3 with stainless steel pins and had to tap them harder. lol
I have been thinking about this also because i have a frameback that needs pin replacement. I did run across some small 2lb jewelers anvils on the bay and was thinking about using a drill bit just a little bigger than the pins and make a shallow indention into the anvil.
Not bad looking anvil for under 30$
Small Miniature Rustic Oliver Tractor 1929 4" Cast Iron Anvil Jeweler Hobby | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Miniature-Rustic-Oliver-Tractor-1929-4-Cast-Iron-Anvil-Jeweler-Hobby/312547453536?hash=item48c547aa60:g:kOcAAOSwsixcdFEL

Finished up a Jernbolaget tonight.
PXL_20200920_021753092-01.jpeg

Disassembled and cleaned. I'm told the original scales are micarta and I was able to save them and resemble with a brass pin peened without collars or washers (like the untouched wedge pin, but not as cleanly). Sharpie tested and the bevel was good. Honed on a coticule and finished on the hybrid side of a les latenuses. Shave test tomorrow...

Here is one of the four from #bestweekever (lol jk, I have no clue what hashtags do!). A very unique Bengall 6/8 with what looks like some kind of attempt at a Spanish tippy barber's notch or something. Whatever, I like it.

Before: (after bath/major rust removal)

2020-09-19-05-54-53.jpg

After:

2020-09-20-01-57-08.jpg
2020-09-20-02-00-16.jpg

I'm going to be honest guys, I usually dump old scales without a second thought. On this however, I just couldn't stop thinking about the history behind them. I mean, really... A 100 or so years ago some guy sat and worked a piece of something he very well may have hunted down himself, and after shaving with this razor for years he died and this things life as it was died along with him. Til one day some distant relative dug it out of an old dresser drawer or toolbox and figured might as well sell it. So, now it finds its way on to my workbench... And I'm about to bring it back from the dead. I couldn't bare to see this any other way than complete and original.

And I'm so very thankful I did. The pictures might not do them justice compared to how magnificent it really is.

Couldn't resist. Old Bassette succumbed to the novelty of acquiring a young Besset (presumably the French spelling), but it turned out to be one notable hunk of steel! Beefy...solid...substantial... You get the picture(s). Really, you do! Just look below.

20200921_215342.jpg

20200921_215733.jpg

OK eventually had some time to finish this razor. I had to do some research, ok my wife did research about this razor. It’s a Maleham & Yeomans straight. The razor was made before the invention of celluloid plastic and sport pressed leather scales. There is a W^D2 mark stamped on the leather scales that was the designation for the British War Department, Not sure if this was for hospital use or soldier issue, if you guys know it would be great to hear your feedback.

11/16 Maleham & Yeomans Half Hollow Square Poin (1860’s)
View attachment 1154870
View attachment 1154871
View attachment 1154872
I can't answer your question, but that is some kind of cool!

Finished up a Jernbolaget tonight.
View attachment 1157377
Disassembled and cleaned. I'm told the original scales are micarta and I was able to save them and resemble with a brass pin peened without collars or washers (like the untouched wedge pin, but not as cleanly). Sharpie tested and the bevel was good. Honed on a coticule and finished on the hybrid side of a les latenuses. Shave test tomorrow...

Nice work! Love to see them restored, but still quite original. Not to be too critical of the original craftsman, but perhaps there is some hope for my wedge making after all! :c1:

I have been thinking about this also because i have a frameback that needs pin replacement. I did run across some small 2lb jewelers anvils on the bay and was thinking about using a drill bit just a little bigger than the pins and make a shallow indention into the anvil.
Not bad looking anvil for under 30$
Small Miniature Rustic Oliver Tractor 1929 4" Cast Iron Anvil Jeweler Hobby | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Miniature-Rustic-Oliver-Tractor-1929-4-Cast-Iron-Anvil-Jeweler-Hobby/312547453536?hash=item48c547aa60:g:kOcAAOSwsixcdFEL

CCR, that is exactly what I did with a Harbor Freight anvil.

On the pointy side I drilled a hole for the rod to go in while I peen the other end of it. Also, it works well to put the tiny washers on. Put the washer on the anvil, place the rod in the washer, slide it to the hole, push down and then catch the washer with your nail while lifting it out. I also drilled a couple divots on the big end to place the collar while peening the other side. Be careful, though. The divot doesn't need to be very deep and that anvil drills much easier than one might imagine! Actually, I would suggest using a larger bit and not even drilling to the full diameter of the bit.

I hope my ramblings make a little sense!

Reactions: CCR
CCR, that is exactly what I did with a Harbor Freight anvil.

On the pointy side I drilled a hole for the rod to go in while I peen the other end of it. Also, it works well to put the tiny washers on. Put the washer on the anvil, place the rod in the washer, slide it to the hole, push down and then catch the washer with your nail while lifting it out. I also drilled a couple divots on the big end to place the collar while peening the other side. Be careful, though. The divot doesn't need to be very deep and that anvil drills much easier than one might imagine! Actually, I would suggest using a larger bit and not even drilling to the full diameter of the bit.

I hope my ramblings make a little sense!

Here is what I was struggling to say! Those divots are too deep.
20200921_232553.jpg

That is a great idea Congajon, i have been just getting by, by using an old 6lb. sledge hammer head. I will dig threw my punch box and see if I have a small enough punch or nail set to try this once i get a pilot hole .
I did go ahead and order an anvil from Ukraine off the bay. The one in the link was cool looking but the working surface was much smaller than the one i found made in Ukraine. The Oliver was cast iron and the Ukraine one is steel, hopefully i will be able to get a hole in it like yours.
Here is a pic of my ugly make shift anvil lol
20200922_054602.jpg

I wanted to by a jewelers anvil but decide not to spend money, keep it simple so I drilled 2mm hole no deeper than 2mm at its deepest. This masons chisel is my dedicated peening anvil, I have no complaints.
8F632475-7293-4D97-B2F7-F8B58F9A4561.jpeg

I love to see the tools people make to suit there needs out of what they have laying around. Repurposing or what ever. It is how I grew up on the poor farm and to me is just the way it ought to be. Old razors, old tools, old ways.... makes me smile.

Reactions: CCR
Here's the 3rd from #bestweekever.
My Cream de la cream...
Eat your heart out boys!

2020-09-24-21-20-54.jpg
PXL_20200925_004311713.MP.jpg
PXL_20200925_003623607.MP.jpg

I believe a 1st Gen Fili DT13. It was untouched in its original box but time had taken a toll. The old scales crumbled when I slid it out. So I very carefully performed surgery to at the very least save the lyre emblem.

From there I spent days very accurately sanding around the decal on the face of the blade, which was pointless because the second I took to polishing it the gold leafing was SO old it partially faded under very light buffing with Maas.

The handle I designed is clearly specific for the fili, this was my second attempt at the handle getting the dimensions just right. Made from black MOP kirinite with brass wedge/collars and nickel pins. Was going to go all stainless but I really like the richness the brass brings to the overall appearance.

Can i rest now? :shifty:... Nm, I think I heard the mail truck!

Started working on the Walk Over. I hated to sand the blade, knowing that even if you match the polish level perfectly the removal of patina is going to stand out. BUT I couldn't bear the thought of that insidious cell rot eating away at the blade. So, out came the nail polish and sandpaper. The tang was really rusted. Still work to be done!

I also carved out a pair of Indian Ebony scales for it. Pic 1 is after 4 coats of CA and a sanding. Pic 2 after 6 additional coats in preparation for final sanding and polishing. That will come after the CA cures for a while.

20200927_224749.jpg

20200927_231002.jpg

While technically not on my workbench, it isn't yet finished. Here's a sneak preview of a pallet wood display case in the works. A fine specimen of my "chainsaw carpentry" skills!

20200927_230045.jpg

Started working on the Walk Over. I hated to sand the blade, knowing that even if you match the polish level perfectly the removal of patina is going to stand out. BUT I couldn't bear the thought of that insidious cell rot eating away at the blade. So, out came the nail polish and sandpaper. The tang was really rusted. Still work to be done!

I also carved out a pair of Indian Ebony scales for it. Pic 1 is after 4 coats of CA and a sanding. Pic 2 after 6 additional coats in preparation for final sanding and polishing. That will come after the CA cures for a while.

View attachment 1161078

View attachment 1161079

While technically not on my workbench, it isn't yet finished. Here's a sneak preview of a pallet wood display case in the works. A fine specimen of my "chainsaw carpentry" skills!

View attachment 1161080

Nice razors, but that portrait is something else. Outstanding. Looks like a special family member.

Nice razors, but that portrait is something else. Outstanding. Looks like a special family member.

That's my buddy Leopold! Leo was deaf and when I wouldn't accept a refund, his breeder offered that portrait as compensation. Definitely treasured! I have to move it higher up the wall to fit the case. Sadly, his remains are in a display on the dresser next to it. Happily, Flanders is running the show now! He is a real piece of work, too.

Top Bottom