What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

How is the steel on that thing. I have seen some on the bay and they are all decent price and i do agree i have never seen a bad one. How does it compair to say the C-MON Special.

To be fair it comes close but the C-Mon is still the better of most razors

That’s a nice one!! I’d like to polish the Fromm mark on the scales, like yours, but I’m sure I’d loose the original red ink. Looks like yours is near perfect, nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Matt!!! But I must come clean here I used both of these, everyone knows I use the Renaissance wax but I also use the Pre- Lim and that is what I used on the bolsters and name as it is very gentle.

20200324_215851.jpg

To be fair it comes close but the C-Mon is still the better of most razors

Thank you, Matt!!! But I must come clean here I used both of these, everyone knows I use the Renaissance wax but I also use the Pre- Lim and that is what I used on the bolsters and name as it is very gentle.

View attachment 1078150

Now, are you working that renaissance by hand or on your buffing wheel? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Matt!!! I do it by hand less chance of heating them up and ripping off, most of my work is done by hand sometimes I have even used Qtips to polish.
The only time I use a buffing wheel is when the scales are plain.

What buffing wheel do you use on the scales when you do use one.

What buffing wheel do you use on the scales when you do use one.

Hi Suhrim21
the wheel I use is 6inch x 50 cotton wheel for a bench grinder, with pigtail on one side for the wheel and Vonax Polishing Compound for Plastic,Acrylic,Bakelite,Wood,Horn,Tortoiseshell. But that is the last stage after doing your progression of wet and dry, so my last grit size is 8000 then I use the wheel but only on plain scales to give them a shine.

Just an update to the Black Diamond blade is polished, just need to do the bluing on the tang, scales are cut just need shaping and fitting that will be done later on today.

But here is the blade up to now...

20200329_035756.jpg
20200329_035834.jpg

Starting to look good...

Today's projects (top to bottom)

Torrey Gibraltar - Found a bit of devil's spit developing near the edge. Likely need to do some sanding and then rehone it. Hoping the steel under it is still sound...

Columbus Cutlery - New acquisition so disassembly, cleaning/polishing, and then honing. (This razor was evidently manufactured in my home town. A nostalgia piece more than one for the rotation.)

James Barlow & Sons - New acquisition so disassembly, cleaning/polishing, and then honing.

WM. Greaves & Sons - Forgot this one was there. Looks like I need to finish polishing the blade and shape and thin the scales a bit. Then assembly and honing.
IMG_20200329_092747.jpg

Ok... So maybe a bit more than just today...

here is the update of the Black Diamond Wedge, just needs honing and then its good to go. But I will be trying to better the scales as this was a test to see if it would work and it has sort of. So here she is Grah Plumacher Black Diamond....

All Blued up and ready

20200329_124054.jpg

Now time for the scales

20200329_214317.jpg
20200329_214341.jpg
20200329_215611.jpg

20200329_214410.jpg
20200329_214555.jpg

here is the update of the Black Diamond Wedge, just needs honing and then its good to go. But I will be trying to better the scales as this was a test to see if it would work and it has sort of. So here she is Grah Plumacher Black Diamond....

All Blued up and ready

View attachment 1080276

Now time for the scales

View attachment 1080277View attachment 1080278View attachment 1080281
View attachment 1080279View attachment 1080280
Splendid work Ian! I especially love the blue you added to the tang!

Another Rodgers, this one I believe being quite old. Was surprised to see what looks like honey horn underneath all the sweat, dirt and bits of who knows how many people's skin!

20200330_143817.jpg

20200330_143852.jpg

I was afraid that the hone wear was significant, but was happy to see a decent outcome after 15 or 20 strokes on the 2K.

20200330_150133.jpg

Looking great. How do you blu the tang.

It's a process they use on guns, I bought the kit a while back to do a blue Diamond. But I never used it due to my blue Diamond was painted blue.

But it is very easy to blue them just follow the steps, and you end up with a nice gun blue on the tangs.

This is the product I used

1.jpg

Splendid work Ian! I especially love the blue you added to the tang!

Thank you Matt!!! Here you go photos taken in daylight, not under lamplight as the ones above were. But added gold paint to the name both sides of the tang to match the scales....

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Sorry about the dust on the scales it was from my duster....

Another Rodgers, this one I believe being quite old. Was surprised to see what looks like honey horn underneath all the sweat, dirt and bits of who knows how many people's skin!

View attachment 1080616

View attachment 1080617

I was afraid that the hone wear was significant, but was happy to see a decent outcome after 15 or 20 strokes on the 2K.

View attachment 1080618

A quick cleanup and 400 w/d revealed not honey horn, but dyed horn. Can't say I'm disappointed! I like the contrast between the two sides. They sure cleaned up nicely. There is a little crack radiating out from a pivot side pinning hole. Has anyone ever CA'd a thrust washer to act as reinforcement? Bad idea?

20200330_224820.jpg

Those look good and cleaned up nice, as for the crack I would put some epoxy in the crack and place thrust washer on top. As I think epoxy offers more support and would be stronger, then once cured dunk the whole lot in Neats foot oil and hydrate those up then sand and polish.

Top Bottom