What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

You are quite welcome, now go retake those photos on a black background and show us her real beauty! LOL!

Well it is getting used again tonight so we will see, but I'm out of action I was working on a Black Diamond S.R Droescher. When I dropped it outside while sanding it, I did not want it making contact with the concrete floor yes I know should have let it. Dont try to catch it

So now I have a cut on my finger and thumb on my right hand, and it still knocked a tiny bit off the edge that will hone out. I was sanding the bluing on the tang or shank to remove it so I could reblue it so this is a warning to all the new members thinking of restoring straight razors make sure to Tape the edge up good....

20190908_200536.jpg 20190908_200625.jpg

Last edited:
Well it is getting used again tonight so we will see, but I'm out of action I was working on a Black Diamond S.R Droescher. When I dropped it outside while sanding it, I did not want it making contact with the concrete floor yes I know should have let it. Dont try to catch it

So now I have a cut on my finger and thumb on my right hand, and it still knocked a tiny bit off the edge that will hone out. I was sanding the bluing on the tang or shank to remove it so I could reblue it so this is a warning to all the new members thinking of restoring straight razors make sure to Tape the edge up good....

View attachment 1015216 View attachment 1015217
I'm sorry to hear that my friend, mostly for your fingers. That's why 99% of the time I wear cut resistant gloves while sanding and buffing I learned really quick on my first blade which wasn't long ago...Speedy recovery Ian.

I had nothing on the workbench and found the situation entirely intolerable. Easily rectified and now there are three inbound from eBay. All the below are seller's pictures.

#1 - Greaves Sheaf Works
Greaves 2019.09.jpg

I just restored one of these and absolutely love the way it shaves. I''m going to try to duplicate the results and see if the steel for these razors is consistent or if I just got lucky with the first one.

#2 - W&B FBU
W&B FBU 2019.09.jpg

Minor cleanup on the blade, but the scales are shot. I've been eyeing an FBU for some time and finally found one in the right price range. Now I'll get to find out why everyone raves.

#3 - Filarmonica 14 JMP
Fili 14 JMP 2019.09-1.jpg

Yes, I know the toe has been rounded, but knowing I don't much care for square points, that suits me just fine. Like the FBU, I've wanted to try a Fili to see what the big deal is. And for under $100 I have my chance. At least I think I have a chance. The tang markings on the non-show side are something I haven't seen before or heard of.
Fili 14 JMP 2019.09-2.jpg

Not the "Made in Spain" I've usually seen. Evidently La Coruña is the city of manufacture in Spain. Did I get a knock off? Whatever, I'll clean her up and see what can be seen.

The "Our 136" is a wonderful razor and fun to shave with for to the narrow tang. And that W&B should clean up spectacularly. Can't wait to see the results...
The 136 looks pretty decent from the pix crossing fingers here! The Wade as you know is something I've been on the hunt for so I am gonna think it through thoroughly!!

Ok so my "Our136" is now a "Jade 136"
Here's before and after pics. This was a very easy resto aside from the wedge!
Before
IMG_20190911_162124.jpg
After.
IMG_20190913_180314.jpg

Working on the Wade now that the Torrey is completely done and waiting for test shave. The Wade is super hard started with 800 grit to get some surface oxidation off it worked, but it blasted through the W/D 800 like tissue.. Here's the blade and the one whole scale that will be used as a pattern. I'm thinking stabilized Bubinga or maybe Bocote.. or maybe Wenge Don't know yet..
IMG_20190914_192912.jpg

That Torrey has come out beautiful, I have found the etching is very shallow on any Torrey and you can soon remove it.

Now the Wade & Butcher are very hard but once you get going they produce great results, Now they love being dressed in horn from black streaked or honey. I have not tried in woods as to me it would spoil them and they are my favourite razor, taking into account I live within a 40 minute drive and can be in the heart of Sheffield where they was made and you get a feeling when walking down the streets thinking of the smoke and sounds coming from the buildings as nowdays they are offices or warehousing and very clean to how it used to be...….

Attachments

• 20171221_115441.jpg
    20171221_115441.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 16
I agree on the look of traditional horn on the Wade, but I may depart from the traditional to include the shape. As for now I am working on the blade I want to give it a new life!

Update on my Wade. Done with the blade, got 99% of the Devil spit off. Didn't want to remove any more material than necessary so I took her to the buffing compound. As you can see she's a little toe heavy and heel light. There is some hone wear on the spine but that's too be expected. I did manage to get the barbers notch and jimping cleaned out as well all in all so far I'm pleased! Any input would be appreciated and welcome! Pay no mind to the garbage scales (red) they are from a GD 1996!!
IMG_20190915_105016.jpg
IMG_20190915_105109.jpg
IMG_20190915_105129.jpg
IMG_20190915_105138.jpg
IMG_20190915_105144.jpg

View attachment 1015216 View attachment 1015217

Ouch Ian!! Gloves my man...gloves .... lol.

Okay here's another update on the Wade I finally got some time to work on it. as I said before I was thinking about departing from the traditional and I did just that as of right now I have mocked up some spalted maple scales they are stabilized and needing a top coat. Opinions are welcomed.
1569087560448691581671571930919.jpg
15690876543181668820698722728239.jpg

Ouch Ian!! Gloves my man...gloves .... lol.

Yep you are right I should know better, I am finding it hard to shave as I cannot hold the razor because the cuts are right where I hold the tang.

Okay here's another update on the Wade I finally got some time to work on it. as I said before I was thinking about departing from the traditional and I did just that as of right now I have mocked up some spalted maple scales they are stabilized and needing a top coat. Opinions are welcomed.View attachment 1018928 View attachment 1018930

Now this looks the part I love those scales on the Wade, great work on a fantastic razor.....

Yep you are right I should know better, I am finding it hard to shave as I cannot hold the razor because the cuts are right where I hold the tang.

Now this looks the part I love those scales on the Wade, great work on a fantastic razor.....
I've burned the heck out of fingers making it hard to hold the tang before it's frustrating!!
Thanks for the kind words on the Wade I'm hoping the Tung oil will bring out the color in the spalting more...

I love using Danish Oil soak the scales in it to allow it to soak in, then do a CA finish on her but that is only what I would do. But I am looking forwards to see her finished and back in action..... I do love the grain on that spalted maple......

I love using Danish Oil soak the scales in it to allow it to soak in, then do a CA finish on her but that is only what I would do. But I am looking forwards to see her finished and back in action..... I do love the grain on that spalted maple......
Danish oil I love using on darker wood the Tung oil is working good so far grain is standing out good and I'm going to build coats as I go it's slow but effective...

Top Bottom