What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

So after several evenings sanding and fitting and sanding and fitting and ... Here's where I ended up.
View attachment 1010116 View attachment 1010117
Not totally satisfied with the shape of the scales, but the balance when open is great. To the stones this weekend and then I may really have something useable.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and encouragement.
She's a beauty!! And for the record scales are just furniture if you don't like em you can change em around that's what's fun about restoration for me, I never intended to have any "museum" pieces only razors that I love to use and pass on to my 2 sons! Again great job hone her up!!!

John Cockhill, fresh from the bench. Be kind, this is only my second full pinning. I made the scales from olivewood and chamfered the scale interiors to maintain the Sheffield feel. It originally had a homemade pine, single-piece handle with a nail holding the blade, so that had to go. To keep the homebrew feel I French polished it with clear shellac. It will get a better buffing after it cures a few months. It locks open wonderfully when extended.
Constructive criticism welcome...I am just getting back into my shop, and new to razors. Thx

DSCF0794.JPG DSCF0789.JPG DSCF0790.JPG DSCF0791.JPG

John Cockhill, fresh from the bench. Be kind, this is only my second full pinning. I made the scales from olivewood and chamfered the scale interiors to maintain the Sheffield feel. It originally had a homemade pine, single-piece handle with a nail holding the blade, so that had to go. To keep the homebrew feel I French polished it with clear shellac. It will get a better buffing after it cures a few months. It locks open wonderfully when extended.
Constructive criticism welcome...I am just getting back into my shop, and new to razors. Thx

View attachment 1011303 View attachment 1011304 View attachment 1011305 View attachment 1011307

A very nice job the only thing I would add if make the scales thinner, also make a wedge instead of a spacer that would allow the scales to bow out then back in giving a lighter feel and a better fit to the blade.

But otherwise a very good rescale

Thanks. I am curious about what the benefits of lighter are...I shave with a big ole' cleaver, so my main thought was balance, which is close to center. Are there reasons to bow the scales other than style? Keep the feedback coming...I love seeing everyone's work.

View attachment 1011303 View attachment 1011304 View attachment 1011305 View attachment 1011307
I like the look shape and color of that furniture like Ian said thinner and add a wedge instead of the spacer is the only thing I can constructively critique she's a beauty great job!

From the other side of the bench, this is a restoration 'in situ', though I may unpin it later to get that last bit of rust and tighten the hinge. It had a 'Solingen' etching with tatterings of gold. I like thinking that it was in Paris just 11 days ago...the decorated spine moved it to the top of my in box.

Before
Solingen_600_a.jpg Solingen_600_b.jpg

After
IMG_7806.JPG IMG_7808.JPG IMG_7809.JPG

This one feels like it will eventually make it into my rotation.

A rusty wedge from Sheffield, England, the "Superior razor". I paid $10 for it on eBay at auction, as a crappier-condition razor to practice working on (as I'd rather not screw-up my nice Wade and Butcher, due to my inexperience).

I originally thought that it was a bit newer than my W&B, due to saying "Sheffield, England" instead of just Sheffield, but the thick wedge and heavier blade than my W&B makes me think that it might be a bit older.

So far, I actually have no idea who actually made it, but I have begun to notice etching, so maybe I will crack the case when I get the rust off.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have been busy doing a few things here this one J. R. Torrey Co Worcester MA Straight Razor ARMY. This is how it came to me

1.jpg 6.jpg

A quick clean up and a polish, still have a bit of work to do on it but this is the same razor now.

20190831_215246.jpg 20190831_215313.jpg 20190831_215348.jpg

Also Restored this fantastic Old Spice Shaving Brush reknot with a 22mm Boar knot

13.jpg 14.jpg

I have been busy doing a few things here this one J. R. Torrey Co Worcester MA Straight Razor ARMY. This is how it came to me

View attachment 1012918 View attachment 1012919

A quick clean up and a polish, still have a bit of work to do on it but this is the same razor now.

View attachment 1012920 View attachment 1012921 View attachment 1012922

Also Restored this fantastic Old Spice Shaving Brush reknot with a 22mm Boar knot

View attachment 1012927 View attachment 1012928

Ian both are fantastic !! Great job! Haven't even contemplated restoration of brushes! I'm still hunting for a big blade that won't cost a kidney!!

Cool is that hand made? If so what steels did you use? Looks very modern I like it! Full wedge from what I see?!in any case nice work! Pattern welding is tough work without power assistance.

Thank you Sir!!! Yes it is a hand made but I dont know what with, as I bought the blade then made the scales with a twist to be able to see the blade when closed.
and the pins are 3mm and the wood is walnut.....

Next up on my bench today is my Gold Bug S.R Droescher Inc. Garwood NJ Germany, here is the before pic when I got it...

1.jpg 2.jpg

This is the razor up to now just needs the touch of gold on the tang later on today, then I can get her pinned up and honed up and put back into action....

20190906_020811.jpg 20190906_020858.jpg 20190906_020927.jpg 20190906_020954.jpg

Next up on my bench today is my Gold Bug S.R Droescher Inc. Garwood NJ Germany, here is the before pic when I got it...

View attachment 1014430 View attachment 1014431

This is the razor up to now just needs the touch of gold on the tang later on today, then I can get her pinned up and honed up and put back into action....

View attachment 1014433 View attachment 1014434 View attachment 1014435 View attachment 1014436
DAMN! Sorry excuse me! That looks clean!!! So nice Ian great looking resto!!! Love the scales!!!

DAMN! Sorry excuse me! That looks clean!!! So nice Ian great looking resto!!! Love the scales!!!

Thank you Sir!!! But sadly it has not been done yet due to finishing work late, & the good news is I will be home by 3pm tomorrow that's when the gold goes on. If I am lucky it might make the shave of the day....

But you want to try restoring brushes they are fun, as when I buy a second hand brush I put a new knot in them. One that I was hoping to save was the Old Spice knot as it had never been used, I must admit the Boar knot is fantastic first use I had a look next day when it was dry and to my surprise the ends had all ready started splitting great result....

Well folks just finished the Gold Bug 5/8th S.R Droescher Inc. Garwood NJ Germany....

This is the blade just as I had finished adding the gold to the tang.....

7.jpg
8.jpg

Now the scales have been added to her take into account the pictures below was taken under bright lights.....

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

So this is another beautiful razor done from my pile that's getting smaller.....

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Well folks just finished the Gold Bug 5/8th S.R Droescher Inc. Garwood NJ Germany....

This is the blade just as I had finished adding the gold to the tang.....

View attachment 1014963 View attachment 1014964

Now the shales have been added to her take into account the pictures below was taken under bright lights.....

View attachment 1014965 View attachment 1014966 View attachment 1014968 View attachment 1014969 View attachment 1014970

So this is another beautiful razor done from my pile that's getting smaller.....
Beautiful, great work.

Top Bottom