What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

I’m other news I just found that this Union Leader on my bench has a bellied grind. Gonna bump it up in the pecking order and get it squared away next weekend.
View attachment 961437
That looks awesome! I found that one of the old Bismarck razors I own is a bellied grind the other day, I have yet to hone it though. Nice score!

The the pattern in the scales doesn't show in the picture, but it is a turtle gold pattern. I did only repin the pivotpin because it was way off and the blade hit the scales. I was afraid to damage the scales so i left the bottom pin as it is for now. At some point it will get the same pin as the pivot. I ground of the rust and buffed it up a bit. I like to keep some of the patina on the razors.
Next up is a Heljestrand MK 30 with broken scales that will get new wooden scales, I Had a pice of teak wood that i marked up, cut out and split in 2, i have sand it down and buffed them up, put a wedge in them and laquer them up. So now they are drying. The pic is from the first laquer before the wedge install.
View attachment 958499 View attachment 958500 View attachment 958501
Great work here! Have you installed the scales yet?

Great work here! Have you installed the scales yet?
yepp the scales are installed, but i'm on the fence to keep or to change. I have an old frameback Johan Engström that i think suits them better. I made some new in bog oak that i think the Heljestrand will be nicer in. The Razor is a MK No 30.
IMG_20190312_170722.jpg

Very nice!! I hope the blade they are going on is equaly as nice?
Yes it is a Heljestrand MK 30 on the former picture, i didn't like the combination of the Heljestrand with the Teak scales. I will change them this weekend.
I got some nice scale material to work with now,
Some Laurel Birch, Bog Oak, streaked horns, honey horn and some Bambo. All wood is stabilized wood. The teak wasn't stabilized and i have to work them down more, they got to bulky i think.

@Mackis now that it the right way to make a wedge, very cool!

Had some time to work on this Henckels, blade had some patina but the scales had a bunch of chips on them and the pins were showing some corrosion. I never really worked with bone before but just a note to all it sure does smell when you start sanding it. I polished the scales but I think I may go back to a 3000 grit finish the chalkiness makes the shiny blade really pop.

Before:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

After:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thank you, they are some type of plastic. Cellulite maybe? They look good but if I’m to keep this razor I’ll probably make a set of acrylic tortoise scales for it.

Yeah I like the heavier grind on feel alone so I have high hopes once it’s honed.

:001_tongu probably not cellulite...

Had some time to work on this Henckels, blade had some patina but the scales had a bunch of chips on them and the pins were showing some corrosion. I never really worked with bone before but just a note to all it sure does smell when you start sanding it. I polished the scales but I think I may go back to a 3000 grit finish the chalkiness makes the shiny blade really pop.
]
Lookin good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok had some time to finish the work with the bog oak scales.
My first idea was to refit the CV Heljestrand MK 30 on them, but that wasn't going to happen.
The MK 30 is a 4/8 and the scales is for a 5/8. So i had to rethink what was going on those scales.
The Johan Hengström just cried out to get some new scales, the old was some cardboard material that just wasn't right for that old razor. So the the work started to refit the Johan Engström and give some dignity back to the old chap.
This is the outcome.
The next thing is to hone the Engström up on a jnat mikawa progression and testshave, maybe buff the blade up a bit before. But it is as good as done.
IMG_20190316_111710.jpg
IMG_20190316_111740.jpg
IMG_20190316_111808.jpg
IMG_20190316_111823.jpg
IMG_20190316_111850.jpg
IMG_20190316_111918.jpg
IMG_20190316_111928.jpg
IMG_20190316_111940.jpg
IMG_20190316_112002.jpg

Ok had some time to finish the work with the bog oak scales.
My first idea was to refit the CV Heljestrand MK 30 on them, but that wasn't going to happen.
The MK 30 is a 4/8 and the scales is for a 5/8. So i had to rethink what was going on those scales.
The Johan Hengström just cried out to get some new scales, the old was some cardboard material that just wasn't right for that old razor. So the the work started to refit the Johan Engström and give some dignity back to the old chap.
This is the outcome.
The next thing is to hone the Engström up on a jnat mikawa progression and testshave, maybe buff the blade up a bit before. But it is as good as done.
View attachment 963143 View attachment 963144 View attachment 963145 View attachment 963146 View attachment 963147 View attachment 963148 View attachment 963149 View attachment 963150 View attachment 963151
That looks great, I’m digging that frameback.

I just completed my first restoration. I did it all with handtools. It was definitely a learning experience. I believe the wood is bloodwood (it was unmarked in a scrap bin at the craft store) and it was nearly 3/8 an inch thick when I began. Making the wedge and peening were my toughest aspects. I had to use magnolia for the wedge as the bloodwood was just too hard to finely work by hand. I also had to repeen and I damaged the wood near the pivot when using flush cutters. I used tung oil on the wood. It took close to 35 hours to complete.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my first project.

20190316_133333.jpg

Last edited:
I just completed my first restoration. I did it all with handtools. It was definitely a learning experience. I believe the wood is bloodwood (it was unmarked in a scrap bin at the craft store) and it was nearly 3/8 an inch thick when I began. Making the wedge and peening were my toughest aspects. I had to use magnolia for the wedge as the bloodwood was just too hard to finely work by hand. I also had to repeen and I damaged the wood near the pivot when using flush cutters. I used tung oil on the wood. It took close to 35 hours to complete.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my first project.

View attachment 963299
Congrats for your first restoration.
It came out really nice. The peening looks awsome! Good job!
Who is the maker of the razor?

I am also new to the restoration part, but it is really rewarding, it is so nice being able to take a rusty old razor and bring it back to life.
Do you have any more project waiting?

Best regards
Mackis

Congrats for your first restoration.
It came out really nice. The peening looks awsome! Good job!
Who is the maker of the razor?

I am also new to the restoration part, but it is really rewarding, it is so nice being able to take a rusty old razor and bring it back to life.
Do you have any more project waiting?

Best regards
Mackis

Thanks. Good luck on your restorations.

I picked up two razors off the big auction site for $15 bucks, this one was stamped "SA". I tried to find out who "SA" was, but had no luck.

I'll post more photos tomorrow of my work as it was being completed. I started a thread a week, or so ago, as I was trying to identify the scrap wood.

I also just finished the sister blade that I picked up. It was in good shape except for needing some polishing. It is a "Thomas Mfg, Dayton". I bought a Dremel a couple days ago and I promptly chipped that blade when I was polishing. I posted that under another thread and I've completed the rework of the blade.

As far as other projects: yes, I purchased two large lots of blades and I've been sorting them and oiling the pivots. I'm going to start on a couple next week.

Cheers!

Did the testshave.
The honing was done on the Cretan hone as a first touch up.
Then it was on the Jnat with Tenjou, Mejira, Koma progression and at a finish a Tomo Nagura.
I finished with some leather stropping.
The razor shaves amazing!

Now i can start with the next project.
Its either rescaling the MK30 or the MK7.

All in all the job took me 20 hours, thats including, cleaning up the razor and honing it.
The most difficult was the problem encountered. The blade hit the scales, finding the culprit was timeconsuming.
There was two mistakes i did, but the biggest was that the inside of one of the scales wasn't level. After fixing that it is dead center now.
The second but i don't think it actually interfered, was that one of the scale was sligtly thicker than the other.
If that was one of the reasons or not i don't know, but i fixed both of the errors and that did the trick.
The first error is though my primary suspect.

Bog oak is a fantastic material to work with, i ended up just oiling it. The peening could be better. I will buff it up a bit more and give the blade a little more shine.

Do anyone of you know if anything canbe done to the spine. Im thinking of closing the hole in the front by soldering it.

Best regards
Mackis

Last edited:
Thanks. Good luck on your restorations.

I picked up two razors off the big auction site for $15 bucks, this one was stamped "SA". I tried to find out who "SA" was, but had no luck.

I'll post more photos tomorrow of my work as it was being completed. I started a thread a week, or so ago, as I was trying to identify the scrap wood.

I also just finished the sister blade that I picked up. It was in good shape except for needing some polishing. It is a "Thomas Mfg, Dayton". I bought a Dremel a couple days ago and I promptly chipped that blade when I was polishing. I posted that under another thread and I've completed the rework of the blade.

As far as other projects: yes, I bought a two large lots of blades and I've been sorting them and oiling the pivots. I'm going to start on a couple next week.

Cheers!
Nice, i too have a dremel. Try the abrasive buffing wheel they have it in different grits, it is a fantastic tool. Way easier to follow the curves in the blade.
Good luck and keep posting your work!

Best regards
Mackis

Top Bottom