What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Well I did it I have a really nice set of older Straight Razors even have two new razors I love. But I also love to tinker and guess a glutton for punishment. Or was just drinking moonshine last month when I was in Tennessee. But today in the mail it came. GD 300 purple and blue "Assault" Razor I sorta remember reading a few of the gents on here doing custom work on them for fun. I took a few photos of the re-bar with an edge but everyone knows what they look like so I'll hold off post until I finish it. Hey for 13 bucks got the GD 300 a 10" strop (ish) and tube of pale green paste. So this should be fun Have a great one everyone!

Looking forward to seeing it mate.....

Right this came today Wade & butcher genuine bow razor 5/8th arrived at 10am

20181113_100524.jpg
20181113_100542.jpg

Scales off by 11am blade is now being polished, then I have just got to sort a bug bite on the front side scales.
If anybody has done this I'm all ears for advice, as I have never made a repair on a bug bite before.

As we are lucky dont get them bugs here....

20181113_105925.jpg
20181113_110001.jpg
20181113_110055.jpg

lucky the blade was just gunk on it, so it did not need sanding polished up nice with white diamond. It did have a spot on the backside that was pitted, but its not near the edge so I'm happy to leave it as is going to treat it to stop it rusting anymore.

Now on to the scales

20181113_120805.jpg
20181113_120855.jpg

Now I'm not sure if that is a bug bite, or just a chip possible its been dropped but that is the bit I need help with info how to repair.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Mix super glue with some horn dust (a little at a time) and start building it back up. A little backing tape will help keep the glue in place.

Well it is done just finished the Wade & Butcher genuine bow razor 5/8th, and did as Mike H said and it did the trick so here she is all in her glory.

20181117_222231.jpg
20181117_222054.jpg
20181117_222359.jpg

Next up is a Puma Gold 77 removed the blade from the scales blade polished and a new gold wash but the pictures dont show it justice

20181125_112126.jpg
20181125_112549.jpg
20181125_112726.jpg

And while I was at it I also did my Dubl Duck Satinedge blade removed and polished and a new gold wash just got to paint the letters on the tang and jobs a good one but the wash goes along the top of the spine and round the toe

When made these sold for $6.00 in 1957

20171106_124747.jpg

That was before now after pics follow..

20181125_112940.jpg
20181125_113124.jpg
20181125_113225.jpg
20181125_113328.jpg
20181125_113420.jpg

Those look amazing Ian. :a14::a14::a14:
Impressed that your able to refresh the gold wash.

Looks like I still have a lot to learn about restoring, which isn't a bad thing.
Hardest part is getting beaters at a reasonable price, that aren't completely worn out or broken.

Those look amazing Ian. :a14::a14::a14:
Impressed that your able to refresh the gold wash.

Looks like I still have a lot to learn about restoring, which isn't a bad thing.
Hardest part is getting beaters at a reasonable price, that aren't completely worn out or broken.

Thank you Doug!!!
Yep I'm with you on that one the beaters are going up in price, I see one the other day and it was starting out at £45 for a bust blade with a big chunk missing.
I'm still learning with new things but its a fun hobby to be in no two are the same....

How did you put the goldwash on?

It's a process called electroplating that's how those have been done, I bought it 2 years ago to restore my 1961 G1 Fatboy Executive Razor that was gold....

Wow, fantastic work! That gold wash looks amazing! I’m really impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Matt!!!
It's a new learning curve that's for sure but it does look good on both, and I enjoyed doing those just got to get better at it now.

I'm working on bringing life back to an old W&B 7/8" wedge that I acquired. It wasn't in horrible condition, but definitely needed some loving. The edge was toast (had tons of chips) and the blade had light rusting. The scales, besides being to small for the blade, were warped.

Razor before I cleaned it up:
Razor Before.jpg

After a bit of polish (sanded up to 5K wet/dry and polished with Mothers Mag). Keeping the pitting, gives it a nice character in my opinion. I then honed it, using a single layer of tape, on a Norton 1K/8K and a Norton 4K, then finished on a small coticule. Still a bit rough, and the edge doesn't last, but it is getting better as I experiment. The scales are only temporary, but when I got them they had a massive warp which I fixed with some boiling water, then reattached them so I could try it out.
Razor.jpg

The is my first venture into producing scales, so they are a bit rough right now. They are made from Bolivian Rosewood. They were hand cut using a coping saw, then hand shaped using wood rasps and sand paper (still refining the shape.) The wedge is going to be made form small rose wood scraps I had laying around. I haven't decided on a finish yet but am thinking either a few coats of Danish Oil or Linseed oil with a coat of wax.
Scales.jpg

I'm working on bringing life back to an old W&B 7/8" wedge that I acquired. It wasn't in horrible condition, but definitely needed some loving. The edge was toast (had tons of chips) and the blade had light rusting. The scales, besides being to small for the blade, were warped.

Razor before I cleaned it up:
View attachment 930348

After a bit of polish (sanded up to 5K wet/dry and polished with Mothers Mag). Keeping the pitting, gives it a nice character in my opinion. I then honed it, using a single layer of tape, on a Norton 1K/8K and a Norton 4K, then finished on a small coticule. Still a bit rough, and the edge doesn't last, but it is getting better as I experiment. The scales are only temporary, but when I got them they had a massive warp which I fixed with some boiling water, then reattached them so I could try it out.
View attachment 930350

The is my first venture into producing scales, so they are a bit rough right now. They are made from Bolivian Rosewood. They were hand cut using a coping saw, then hand shaped using wood rasps and sand paper (still refining the shape.) The wedge is going to be made form small rose wood scraps I had laying around. I haven't decided on a finish yet but am thinking either a few coats of Danish Oil or Linseed oil with a coat of wax.
View attachment 930351

I would use Danish oil and make the grain pop, as for the edge try 2 layers of tape on that Wade & Butcher you might find it better. As looking at the edge you have now it seems way to wide.

I would use Danish oil and make the grain pop, as for the edge try 2 layers of tape on that Wade & Butcher you might find it better. As looking at the edge you have now it seems way to wide.

I was originally going to use two layers of tape, but after doing some research I decided to go with one layer to get a better bevel angle.

I was originally going to use two layers of tape, but after doing some research I decided to go with one layer to get a better bevel angle.

True but sometimes better is worse and possibly why the edge dont last, plus using a coticule you need to master them as the edge can be harsh until you get it right...

Plus coticule's range from course = fast to fine = Slow coticule's as you need to be around 12000 to get a good finish on the edge.

But that blade has a smile so you need to use x strokes to get the bevel across the full blade....

True but sometimes better is worse and possibly why the edge dont last, plus using a coticule you need to master them as the edge can be harsh until you get it right...

True. I'm still experimenting with the hone on this, so I might just attempt two layers. The edge hasn't been harsh off the coticule, just doesn't seem to give me a very lasting edge. That could just be my bevel though.

But that blade has a smile so you need to use x strokes to get the bevel across the full blade....

Yup, it sure does. That's one reason I bought it. Three of my four razors have smiles of varying degrees. I'm still trying to learn and improve my rolling X stroke, along with all other aspects of my honing.

Top Bottom