What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Is it the light, or do you have a double bevel going there toward the heel?

You were indeed correct here - about the last cm at the heel isn't set. I assume something to do with the spine wear making the bevel angle lower, which seems like it may be a bit tricky to sort...(?)

Wouldn't be the end of the world I suppose, I don't tend to us that part of a razor very much. So if I left it blunt (rather than half sharp and tuggy) I doubt I'd notice.

You were indeed correct here - about the last cm at the heel isn't set. I assume something to do with the spine wear making the bevel angle lower, which seems like it may be a bit tricky to sort...(?)

Wouldn't be the end of the world I suppose, I don't tend to us that part of a razor very much. So if I left it blunt (rather than half sharp and tuggy) I doubt I'd notice.

For what it is worth, I have an Adam's apple and the only way that I have found to effectively shave it is to stretch the skin to the right and left using the heel to shave the exposed area - if that makes sense.

I used vinegar to remove the active rust away but it leaves this black stain. I tried to read the sticky thread in the forum but all the pictures are gone. Just checking i just need to hand sand it from 1000 grit to 2000 grit and the discoloration will probably be gone ? I dont have the sand paper right now. Any suggestions helps View attachment 1495889
I have sometimes used vinegar for exactly that reason. Sometimes the corrosion is so bad that I give up on removing all the black spots. A vinegar dip after the sanding progression will leave a patina such that the black spots don’t stick out as much. Also it does do a decent job of converting active red rust to black passive corrosion. I never dip for more than an hour.

So I’m gonna do my best to get this cleaned up while preserving as much of that etching as possible.

I’m also working on another one that I just chemically blued. I am attaching it to a set of the original scales.
D3BEE20A-448C-408F-A022-0A9841CD3FF3.jpeg
811ADB6D-8CE2-405E-B243-5281EBD0FD97.jpeg
46838BB4-018C-4E84-987E-C8E36D13CA1C.jpeg

Nice job and I respect your decision to preserve the gold plating/wash, @Yodascaretaker!

I recently got a 13 with a little less corrosion that I was not able take to a place that I was happy with. I ended up removing the plating. No regrets, but it would be nice to have one with plating in good condition.

An ugly duckling that I’m going to turn into a beautiful 1 inch swan…

Bought it busted for the scales and just cut off about a 1/4” section that was past the point of no return. I haven’t decided if I’m gonna do a rounded or other style toe yet…. Luckily for me some dude did one of these already (had a substantially larger piece) and documented/posted it all.
E75E8FF4-1903-409C-B72F-38BE424FF9B9.jpeg

That's a real pity as it's a 1st generation filarmonica. No point rounding the toe as it'll affect/lessen the spine and you need all the real estate to can get for honing stability.
At least it will feel at home on a 1" hone.

Top Bottom